opinions on 4-8's in one box - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2006, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could 4-8's have a quicker response for music playback and still go low enough for theater use?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTheater
Could 4-8's have a quicker response for music playback and still go low enough for theater use?

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

4 - 8's as opposed to.... ?

All drivers will be 'quick to respond', meaning they will produce the sound at the frequencies they were designed to produce. With subs its all about moving air at the volume levels of the intended design.

So, putting this into perspective, using 4 8's in the proper enclosure will get you that deep low end for HT, but may not be able to produce the volumes necessary due to design limitations. They may run out of excursion beyond a certain level for example.

Using 4 12's in the right enclosure will sweep more air and produce more volume at the given low HT frequencies.

Using 4 15's in the right enclosure.... well, you get the idea. ;)

Best,
Mark

Sent from my 80-286 DOS 3.2/Windows 3.0 machine using Terminal
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Mark,

As opposed to a single 12in ported enclosure.

The sub I have now is the Infinity ps12 and it is sloppy with music and has little extension below 30hz. Plugging the port helped a bunch with the music portion but it still has a large mole hill response in the 34 to 45hz range that is not from a room mode and the low end is all but gone with the port being plugged.

I have 4-8in cmmd drivers from a pair of alpha50's that aren't being used and thought about using these drivers in a DIY box and placing them nearfeild, problem is I know nothing about these drivers T/S ratings. In their original cabinet they were rated down to 35hz but in room they were strong to 30hz. If I could get a decent response down to 25hz in a diy box while keeping it flat to 80hz with a tight sound I would be happy for now at least. I don't know if its even possible with these drivers though because I can't find any of the specs. It would be guess work at best.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well the real problem here is you are basing your opinion of 12" or larger drivers, off of your poor experience with the Infinity PS12.

I'd recommend building a new sub from the ground up. Its time to move on from the PS12.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd
Well the real problem here is you are basing your opinion of 12" or larger drivers, off of your poor experience with the Infinity PS12.

I'd recommend building a new sub from the ground up. Its time to move on from the PS12.
Hey Wild,

I'm sure large drivers are the way to go, just curios as to how multiple small drivers would perform.

I'm starting the process of moving on :D
post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shinobiwan built a 4x10" sub that he is quite impressed with. I think what would be holding you back is the type of 8" drivers you want to use. Those Alphas are not built for this type of use. You could still give it a shot though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page