PE 250W Plate Amp dies... again... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running a 12" ported Shiva with a 250W PE plate amp. My first PE plate amp developed some noise issues where random noise was being amplified and the sub would make a constant, very noticeable hum. Warranty covered? Yup. But dangit, I was 5 months out of warranty.

Now, I'm on my second 250W PE plate amp and sure enough, it seems to have totally died. I feed in source material directly to the sub, turn the crossover to the max freq, and turn gain up all the way... It makes noise but I'm pretty sure my fiance snores louder (I hope shes not a closet AVS forum reader ). Definitely no where near the room shaking bass it used to produce. Again, its about 1 year out of warranty.

Has this happened to anyone else with PE plate amps? Is there a more reputable, reliable plate amp out there? Obviously, I need a plate amp with a cut out greater than or equal to 9" W x 9.25" H.

Any help is appreciated!

Got $$?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 PM

*zero-R*

Quote:
===>
I am running a 12" ported Shiva with a 250W PE plate amp. My first PE plate amp developed some noise issues where random noise was being amplified and the sub would make a constant, very noticeable hum. Warranty covered? Yup. But dangit, I was 5 months out of warranty.

Now, I'm on my second 250W PE plate amp and sure enough, it seems to have totally died.

Has this happened to anyone else with PE plate amps? Is there a more reputable, reliable plate amp out there? Obviously, I need a plate amp with a cut out greater than or equal to 9" W x 9.25" H.

Any help is appreciated!
===>

Sorry to hear your bad run of luck on the PE-250. I have 2 of them and their the older ones purchased just before you could buy it with out bass boost. They were used for about a year with no problem aside from some scratchy noise "with one of them" when turning either the phase or volume pot. Don't remember which 250-PE amp it was with the scratchy noise. No hum or noise when hooked up. Easy fix for the scratchy pot (which dose not get amplified) with a little contact cleaner.

Anyway one has continued to be used to this day in a friends garage sub I built. The other just sits in it's box & bag with it's manual. If you don't mind changing 2 resistors to remove or move the boost you can buy it if you like.
It's in ~{perfect condition}~ aside from the mouting screw holes which of course you don't see when re-mounted. No dust or anything on it, still in the bag and box it came in.

It is the exact same PE-250 plate amp and cutout size, just has the 30Hz 5-db of bass boost.
Email or PM me if interested.

Later
Geoff ¥
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer Geoff, but I think I'm going to try to avoid PE this time around (you know, spread the wealth to the other companies ).

Got $$?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 PM

Hey Z

No problem, but your loss for $20.00 shipped.
I'm kidding of course..!

You might want to check with Brian at Rythmik, he may have an A-250 laying around yet. Same size & cut out as the 250-PE but usually with a few mods, less chance of hum/g-loop noise & Rum filter put at 12Hz. I belive he planned to quit selling them, not absoluty sure as I have not spoke with him of late.

Thought I remember reading it somewhere, I think. Getting to damn old, the ol noggen dosen't retain as well as it used to.

Cheers

Edit:
Well Brian is still showing them on site and on sale for $109.00, but "OUT OF STOCK". Not sure if he sold off what he had and will not have them any more or if he's waiting on a new stock. Not really sure whats up, but thats a nice price.

www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page