To DIY or not? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This is the million dollar question I purpose. Quick rundown, already have a HSU VTF3/2 in a 1700cu/ft dedicated room. For most it would be more than enough sub.......not for me.

Option one- buy another VTF3/2 for around $600 shipped and call it a day

or

Option two- Join the darkside and build a sub that can best this dual HSU offering. I really have no woodworking skills but am willing to try and buy the necessary tools to accomplish this. I like the looks of a box design more than I do the cylinders, just my personal preference.

Size- Somewhat of an issue due to available floorspace in a 13x15 room. I do have a free corner and roughly 4-5' of the wall available on on the left side. If I can make it low enough to stand my bookshelves(Onix X-LS) on so they do not interfere with the screen(37" from floor to bottom of screen), then the front wall is also a possibility.

Cost- I'd like to spend no more than $600-$700. I know that's not much of a budget, I might be able to push it up more if I spread it out over a couple months. More if I sell the current HSU but I want to use it in another room.

Goal- I want more of everything, overall output, a lower tune..etc.

I have REQW and will be purchasing a BFD 1124 to EQ it. I have had my eye on a Rythmic 15" servo kit but the TC-Sound subs seem to be the hot item currently.

Thanks,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do you have the turbo for the hsu sub?

I would be hesitant to suggest you try building a sub with no woodworking skills or tools and a budget of only $700. Buf if you could con someone into building you a box then maybe a TC2000 and a Buttkicker amp would beat a HSU VTF3/2. That would be $550 for the amp and speaker, plus wood and paint, and a few parts.

Tim
post #3 of 9 Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have you thought "infinite baffle"?

Frank

Frank, "Still the one"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

I would be hesitant to suggest you try building a sub with no woodworking skills or tools and a budget of only $700. Buf if you could con someone into building you a box then maybe a TC2000 and a Buttkicker amp would beat a HSU VTF3/2. That would be $550 for the amp and speaker, plus wood and paint, and a few parts.

I agree with him.

I just suggest that you can do better with a Q18 sub from ficaraudio.com and the BK or EP2500 amp. An EBS with that driver can be quite scary.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

Frank

That is a very good choice for the OP if he can implement it, his budget is tough for a DIY. Maybe the 4xMJ18s?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-27-2007, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

No turbo, they don't fit the ports of the 3/2 very well from what I've read.

That is what I'm afraid of, there is a shop in town I trust that could probably build me a box but then that's extra cost. I'm also asking if I could beat 2x VTF3/2 with that budget?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-27-2007, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

Frank

Infinte baffle is out of the question, I wish though.

I may just have to start with a project a little less challenging and go from there perhaps.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You can't beat it if you have to buy all the tools.

If you have a friend who has the tools and can help you out for a little bit of incentive then I think that you can definitely do it. I helping a buddy build a sub right now that he couldn't otherwise build. He originally was going to buy a Velodyne DLS-5000R for $1000 CDN. He knew I'd built some speakers and subs. Anyway, long story short, I was persuaded to help him build a sound splinter RL-P15 sonosub. He has no tools and I have everything that's needed and the know how to do it and he's putting in the man hours and learning how to do it for himself. In the end he'll have spend about $800 CDN and will have a much better subwoofer than the one he was looking at before. If I hadn't been around I'm sure he would have bought the Velodyne and he would have been very happy with it.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-27-2007, 08:10 PM

Liked: 10
Can you sell the VTF3MK2? They are a very hot item from what I gather.

One DIY with a high power amp should be able to meet the spl of a pair of HSUs. It's in the extention where the DIY crowd shines. Adding 1000 watts to a high end sub should bring you into a realm you have yet to see with the HSU.

What kind of extention do you get? It says 18Hz on the website. Is that strong? I don't see how it could be with that amp and those two 3 inch ports. Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page