Well, I'm done and loving it! The speakers are incredible, especially for the price. The night after I finished them, the wife was struggling to get me to go to bed, while I just wanted to sit back and enjoy the music. There's still a bit of work to do in treating the room and subwoofer integration. The speakers are going to stay unfinished, and I'm not going to bother doing roundovers, or sanding the edges flush until I have the contractors start on the dedicated room (and my temporary theater is out of commission). I'm still waiting on the XLR-RCA cables, so I haven't been able to fire the system up past 95db peaks. I'm really looking forward to that, though. Incredible imaging, good midrange detail, and smooth treble are definitely the strong points of these speakers. These are THE
speakers to have for a dedicated theater (and just as good for music). The imaging is incredible, except for one thing. With the bass bins, they image a bit lower than I'm used to, so I'm talking to Rick Craig about this to see if we can bring the image up any higher while keeping the tweeter at ear level.
So... without further ado, construction updates:
I decided to first glue the bracing to the back panel. In order to get it lined up as best as possible, I used some larger MDF pieces and some clamps to get the edges as parallel and flush as possible.
After setting up the guides, I marked the placement of the central horizontal brace on the back panel and central vertical brace.
Using the markings, I was able to line up the crossbrace without the guide.
Add balancer pieces in the middle, so the central panel and back panel are parallel, and clamp away.
Once the bracing pieces were glued to the back panel, I glued the front panel to a side panel, using a balancer piece again, this time to get a good perpendicular joint.
Next, I added the bracing structure to the same side panel.
Finally, it was time to sand the bracing, front and back panels so that they were as flush as possible to provide a good surface to glue the second side panel.
Using a large piece of MDF, I checked for flushness by sliding it up and down on all sides of the bracing and front/back panels, looking for gaps.
Here's a picture of all six boxes sanded and ready for the second side panel. Also shown is my workbench (aka: the subwoofer)
When adding the second side panel, it became obvious that there were some issues in getting the edges flush.