First homebrewed sub... uber-newbie questions... beware - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-23-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

Thanks for such great threads on sub design and builds. I am looking for an inexpensive (say $400), easy-to-build (does not require many tools or skills) first sub design. Primarily used for HT (90% of the time), and 10% music. I would like to get good sound quality and not so much spl.

The room is mid-range (17 L x 14 W x 8 H), but the sub may be relocated to a much larger area when we renovate the basement. What I think I want... is a downward firing 15inch TC 2000 driver (so the kids won't be able to insert lego easily, and I won't have to worry about a grille).

I can go with a sonotube design for which I can figure out the design courtesy of the sonosub software. My only question for this methods is where do I have the amp? I guess it has to be with the rest of the equipment? I am not familiar with amps and don't want to build a cheap sub that requires an expensive external amp.

The second option would be a large sealed box, again with the 15inch TC 2000 downward. I have a space that is 40 inches x 18 inches x 36 (height). The height could increase somewhat. Problem is I cannot find a detailed design for this implementation. I can figure out the appropriate dimensions for the outside using software modeling, but don't know what to do for the internal braces.

Many thanks for reading this far and I would really appreciate some suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Hi Zi Zou, I think the standard ported tc-2k design has a net volume of 9 to 9.5 Cubic Feet with a tuning of 14-17hz.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
How about the rythmik 15 inch servo kit? Or the 12 if too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 194
You can put the amp anywhere that it fits. On the equipment rack, under the couch (as long as it has some room on top of it), in a closet, on the top of the sonotube (if it's sealed, or there's enough room for it with the port there)... There's no set place really.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by price3 View Post

How about the rythmik 15 inch servo kit? Or the 12 if too expensive.

There will be a potential more output with the TC2k, the rythmiks are based off of the tc1k if I recall correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page