Need a little advice. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-26-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother got me into DIY stuff about 12 years ago. I built a pretty nice pair of floorstanders with Dynaudio components. Attached are a few pics.

I already went out and bought a Dynaudio T2.1 for a center channel, but am trying to finish the HT with a few more speakers. I am wanting to build some surrounds. I was thinking I would try to score some more of the same dynaudio components. The tweeters are 28/2's and the midranges are 17W75's. I am thinking of doing a 2 way rear with 1 tweeter and 2 mids to match the front. My bro says just do 1 tweet and 1 mid. So any input on this would be nice. Also I am wondering where if anywhere I can still find dynaudio drivers. I am open to other manufactures, but I really think it would produce the best sound to have them all match. I have been out of the game of building for over 10 years and I have read quite a bit here, but I cant keep up with work and kids.

I am hoping the fronts have enough output that I dont need to build another extra sub. Are the pre/pro's that support sending the low frequencies to the fronts? Like I said I havent bought or looked at this stuff in years except for the Harman/Kardon receiver and JBL speakers I bought for the living room and master bedroom. Which brings me to another question. I already bought a JBL Sub12 for the MB and am not very impressed, but it is ok for the size of the room and sound level we usually watch in there. I am looking to buy a kit or build a kit for the living room setup. It is a huge 6000+ cft room. I dont need really high output, but I just want something a little more than what the JBL fronts put out. Someone already suggested the Dayton kit for $150 ish through PE and said it should beat up on the JBL even thought the JBL has a 300W amp. So any ideas for a sub would be nice. Like I said I am just trying to get back into this a little. If someone could point out some of the other good places to buy / find components that would be nice. BTW my budget for the living room sub is about $200-$250. For the surrounds I would like to stay under $500. Thanks and sorry for the million question long winded post.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Dang 48 views and no love.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Having never heard the dayton I can say that i have a BIC H-100 and its pretty bad ass for the price. You can get them on ebay new for $240 shipped if you make a $200 offer. If you go into the main subwoofer forum you will see many recommendations for it as a good budget sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Those mains look really nice, why such a small budget for your sub?
post #5 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

Those mains look really nice, why such a small budget for your sub?

Especially with such a large room.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

O the small budget sub is going to be matched up with the HT system in the living room. It has a bunch of the JBL Venue series stuff (2 Stadiums, 2 Stages, a pair of monitors, and a voice center) and a wimpy little H/K 635 amp that puts out 75W/Ch. So I just need a little more down low. Just something to add some feel to the monster 6000 cft room. It is not the primary place to watch movies. At least not where I watch. I dont like the kids messing with my good stuff so they watch in there.

I think my current DIY dynaudio's put out enough bass so I wasnt going to add a sub. They are loud (115-120 db) and sound crystal clear at those volumes. I guess I may have to redo the setup and bi amp the fronts to take advantage of all the new cool processing styles?? Run the Subs off a seperate amp? Dunno

I will check out the BIC sub. Havent ever heard of them. Thanks for the input so far. I stayed away from the DIY forum as long as I could, but alas I end up here and getting the serious DIY kickin expensive stuffs ass itch all over. When I built the Dynaudio's I have my bro and I would laugh at $10k++ speakers in the high end shops and that was in '94.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 08:29 PM

Liked: 40
The Dayton isn't a kit...It is ready to go right out of the box...and if you are going to use it in the second picture it will make you smile for sure. But if you are determined to spend an extra $100 then buy the Dayton and send me the $100 and you will have a $250 sub...
post #8 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe you heard of acoustech, i guess bic and acoustech are the same company?

Anyway heres a review of their speakers including the sub: http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAR04/component/comp1.html

The sub was designed (in part?) by Dr. Hsu if i'm not mistaken. Heres the specs page:
http://www.acoustechspeakers.com/sho...pe=8&spkrID=26

For the price its definitely got some bang.

I will be building a rythmik DS12 DIY shortly and cant wait to compare them.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ooooo from reading on hear the Rythmic stuff sounds pretty nice. More like it would go in with my nicer stuff than down slummin it with the JBL stuff.

Yeah I know the dayton is a finished product, but I am open to spending a lil more to get better components. I will have to search PE a little more. What about a Titanic 12" ? I think the amp I would need would blow me out of budget. Hmmm???

Any other good sites to find components at like PE. I am really after some more dynaudio stuff for the Theater room where the pics where taken.

Wow just checked out that acoustech sub that thing looks pretty nice. Looks like its a little nicer quality than the Dayton.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM

With a price tag of $500 it had better look nicer...
post #11 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

You can get them for $240 though

h t t p://search. e b a y . c o m/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=bic+h-100&category0=

best offer $200 and one of those sellers should accept
post #12 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 PM

I thought he was talking about the Acoustech model
post #13 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I thought he was talking about the Acoustech model

That is the acoustech/bic H-100, same company i guess. Most people just call them a bic h-100 though. The $500 is msrp but even non ebay its only like $280 shipped, i think. At least one of the guys on ebay is a distributor though and the sub has a warranty so its worth it to just get it on ebay for $240.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-27-2007, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleAbuse View Post

Ooooo from reading on hear the Rythmic stuff sounds pretty nice. More like it would go in with my nicer stuff than down slummin it with the JBL stuff.

Yeah I know the dayton is a finished product, but I am open to spending a lil more to get better components. I will have to search PE a little more. What about a Titanic 12" ? I think the amp I would need would blow me out of budget. Hmmm???

Any other good sites to find components at like PE. I am really after some more dynaudio stuff for the Theater room where the pics where taken.

Wow just checked out that acoustech sub that thing looks pretty nice. Looks like its a little nicer quality than the Dayton.

If you're not going diy and you're budget is in the $200 range you won't beat the H-100. I've installed many of them for friends and for the price it's a great deal. Much better and worth the extra $$ over the Dayton finished 12" version. I tried one of those and sent it back after 3 weeks of trying anything and everything I could to get it to sound decent, had lots of output if that's what your looking for on the cheap but the biggest one note wonder I've seen in a sub. Check out the sub forum on the H-100 their is lots of positive information on it.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
If you want cheap DIY with crazy output, look no further than the MJ-18 8ohm paired with the A500 bridged. You get close to 500 watts for $119, thats amazing, and the sub will land you 113+ dB at 20Hz in a 9 cubic foot box tuned to 20Hz. The pair of them will cost what $250 or so? That 18" driver can sweep tons of air despite its relatively small xmax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page