Dual Sonosub's complete! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to all the DIY'ers that have posted here, my inspiration came from the many contributions made to this forum.

Here is the final setup....and I'm very, very happy with the performance.

Dual Sonosubs, each with:
15" Adire Tempest driver (downward firing)
Dual 8 ohm VC's wired in parallel for 4 ohm load to amp
20" diameter sonotube, 4 foot length for volume ~214L (Adire Alignment)
48 oz polyfill stuffing
2 x 3/4" MDF inner disks
1 x 3/4" veneered plywood outer disk
2 x 3" flared vents
1 x dual input terminal cup
The bases were my wife's idea - 4 inch piece of sonotube with 1.5" holes cut out every 3 or 4 inches around the perimeter, covered with speaker grill cloth. It is very sturdy, looks clean and modern and does not seem to have any impact on sound quality that I can detect versus using traditional legs.

Amplifier: Behringer EP2500 (1 channel per sonosub)
Fed from LFE on my HK AVR145

cost estimate:$320 (2 x Tempests)
$300 (EP2500)
$70 (sonotube)
$50 (wood)
$70 (speaker carpet)
$80 (flared ports)
$60 (glue, stain, nuts, bolts, misc)
Total $950

So for under $1,000 I have a pair of subs that can compete with most commercial offerings costing much, much, much more.

.....and for how it sounds............simply awesome!
I don't have measurement equipment, but it sounds very clean for music (not overpowering) and when the LFE movie content kicks in and the EP2500 lights up , that's when it really gets impressive...so I know the low end performance is there.

I have a few cosmetics to clean up, but I'm pretty much done for now. Maybe in the future I can build a set of mains like the Nat P's that others have done.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 11:27 AM

that looks awesome! definitely a set up i've been looking at myself. under 1000 i think i could do that! first i want to try a smaller sonosub to see if i'm up to the task ..... Yours look great!
post #3 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Impressive! Nice work!

I really like the stained wood accents, nice touch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, Don't forget to post your photos in the DIY Gallery in the top thread...

post #5 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5116
Oh, nice! Finally finished these suckers! They look way better than my box Tempest did. I like these a lot...great work!

EDIT: Ah. I should have put this link in here instead of the DIY showcase. Redundancy never hurt anyone...

Get this fan.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...html#post32741
post #6 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Scott - that is exactly what I did with the EP2500, works like a charm!

I leave it powered on 24/7 with no problems.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Great job, the lack of those traditional legs is a huge plus.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-28-2007, 12:25 AM

I am new on here and I have to say if I found this forum before I probably would have gone DIY route for all. NICE WORK!

Well I havent bought subs yet - I was almost moved to buying the new velodyne 12" in wall ones with the exterior self tuning amp for about $2k. Others have recommended differently on here. I am still educating myself as you seem to have been - the membership on here is awesome and really help out.

Anyways, I really like what you have done here and from what I have read sono's are not as time consuming to construct. Not to take away from your hard work - I mean compared to boxed. hmmmmm this might be a project to consider.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-28-2007, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hmm, asthetically pleasing, over-the-top size and twins. Perfect!

YID DIY
post #10 of 16 Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Well I havent bought subs yet - I was almost moved to buying the new velodyne 12" in wall ones with the exterior self tuning amp for about $2k. Others have recommended differently on here. I am still educating myself as you seem to have been - the membership on here is awesome and really help out.

Well whatever you do, don't pay $2000 for a in-wall 12" sub.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post

Well whatever you do, don't pay $2000 for a in-wall 12" sub.

Ya, Velodyne has that contractor series with outboard amp and I think up to a 15" driver.

Way overpriced for what you could do with a DIY project!

post #12 of 16 Old 09-28-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Razcal - Definitely do not pay $2,000 for a 12 inch sub. You can build a single sonosub with a good 15" or 18" driver along with a pro-amp for about 1/3 that price. You might want to consider the CSS SDX 15 or the IXL 18 from Creative Sound.

Really, I have not noticed a huge difference in the sound department running my two subs versus just 1 at a time - however, I like the 2 towers for aethetics and balance, and I had a spare channel on the EP2500 and some leftover sonotube that needed to be used
Maybe a little more tweaking on room placement or switching the phases - but somehow the placement that looks the best is usually the worst acoustically. I tried placing them together in the right hand corner of the room, but they were cancelling each other out so I separated them and the sound improved noticably.

The sonosub is a very easy project - especially for beginners (like myself).

I had someone cut the disks for me with a jigsaw (a little bigger than the internal diameter of the tube). I used a random orbital sander to achieve an exact tight fight. Mounting the driver, vents and input terminals was a piece of cake. The speaker carpet was also incredibly easy to apply, just a little 3M spray adhesive and a sharp knife.

For me personally, the sonosub is just so damn cool looking versus a big square box (we are talking EBS alignments).
post #13 of 16 Old 09-29-2007, 01:33 AM

whoa - didn't mean to hijack your thread - I hear you guys! - thanks - its off the list for sure. yeah it was the contractor series - dual 12" with the external amp - you guys know your stuff.

Zjason, I think I was sold on the DIY when I saw the end product like yours and other DIY. If its that easy thats even better.

How did you pick your components? I have been reading like crazy on here and everyone has a different view (I know good sound is subjective) - i would be using 50% HT and 50% music - love the awesome movie rumbles but music has to sound awesome too - gotta have it all. I read sealed is better for music but the sonos must be vented? you are right about the esthetics - two just seems better than one especially if it doesn't cost that much more.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-29-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razcal View Post

whoa - didn't mean to hijack your thread - I hear you guys! - thanks - its off the list for sure. yeah it was the contractor series - dual 12" with the external amp - you guys know your stuff.

Zjason, I think I was sold on the DIY when I saw the end product like yours and other DIY. If its that easy thats even better.

How did you pick your components? I have been reading like crazy on here and everyone has a different view (I know good sound is subjective) - i would be using 50% HT and 50% music - love the awesome movie rumbles but music has to sound awesome too - gotta have it all. I read sealed is better for music but the sonos must be vented? you are right about the esthetics - two just seems better than one especially if it doesn't cost that much more.

Hey Raz,
Start an new thread and provide your budget, size and any other constraints you have, and we can try and help you. I am sure the members here can give you some great recommendations.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I think it is more a myth that sealed is better for music.

Low tuned vented subs do a great job in that department as well. For movies, there is no comparison.

Sono's do not have to be vented - it is just a matter of preference. Going sealed allows you to use a much smaller volume enclosure - if that is what is needed in your theatre.

If you are going to power your sub with a pro-amp, building two can be more economical. I highly recommend the Behringer EP2500.

I am still dialing in my system to get the best sound. I have spaced the two sono's out a little more by putting them on the outside of the mains closer to the front corners of the room. I would like to try locating them at opposite diagonal corners in the room, however, this is a tough location with our furniture. I also have lowered my subwoofer channel output on my AVR and increased the gains on the EP2500. I am currently running -5db for the sub channel on my AVR and the gains at 100% on the EP2500. Sounds pretty good so far...
post #16 of 16 Old 12-06-2014, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey can I get a close up of the base.

I think maybe i prefer the style compared to legs.

HTPC (MediaPortal) / Pioneer SC LX87 / Wharfedale Jade 7 Fronts, 5 Rears, 2c Center / DIY Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page