JBL GTI15 Good home sub? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-22-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sorry to start another car sub for a home sub thread but I have to get your guys opinion. I use to compete in car audio on a pretty large scale and I am kicking around the idea of building a new home sub for my theater. I have 1 new 15" JBL GTI series sub sitting in a box with nothing to do. I thought about chucking it on ebay but if it would work for a good home sub I would like to give it a try. I mostly watch movies in my theater but it would get some music as well. What do you guys think?

I have 3 of these in my hobby car and thought about taking one out and running only two in the car. Maybe run 2 in my theater?

Space is not a big concern since my theater is in my basement. I know these subs need a ton of box volume but that isn't a big deal to me right now. Sealed 1.5ft3, ported 4.0ft3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02somls1ws6 View Post

I am sorry to start another car sub for a home sub thread but I have to get your guys opinion.

The consensus of all these similar threads is that if you already have it in hand, go for it. Me, I bought 4 12" car subs to use for my home audio...hey, what do I know! I do recommend you do more than one - at least two. You also gotta think about how you are going to power them...particularly if these are the 2ohm DVC JBL's.

Warmon -

Warmon -
post #3 of 14 Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There's a few positive posts around here from people that have experience with them. I have one but haven't used it yet. It measures and models fairly well though. If I remember correctly I had modeled my W15GTI for ~ 3.5 cuft sealed and ~7 cuft ported @ ~20Hz with winisd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 AM

I am running two old school JBL 1500GTI's (automotive subwoofers) in my setup and they are downright violent. Just put plenty of power to your new school GTI's and you should be satisfied.
Interestingly, the bass doesn't need to be playing at 140 db's in the living room to seem loud. I hardly ever drive mine hard enough to move them and they are plenty loud for normal listening.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 AM

3ft^3 sealed is where it is at with the GTi ... as said above, give it a solid 500W though.

Jim
post #6 of 14 Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 881
The W15GTi is actually a solid sub for either car or home. If you could run 2 of them in large ported boxes you'd have a solid home theater sub system going. They would be great sealed as well, if you don't want to use large enclosures. I'd go with 2 either way.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-23-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I might as well give it a try. Would you suggest that I try to design a box with 2-3 ports that will allow me to tune the box depending on purpose, movie or music, by plugging a port. I have seen some companies doing this and it sounds like a good idea.

I figured it could probably be a great sub for home, especially at 699 retail for one. I am lucky to have gotten mine through car audio connections and didn't pay even a fraction of that. I know they are damn impressive in my car so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask of its home capabilities.

Thanks for your help and keep the box design opinions coming. Room is not a concern.

Do you think even after buying a solid sub amp to run them this is the best bang for the buck vs. buying a prebuilt set up like SVS, HSU or Aperion? If it can be designed with this sub to perform like the metioned brands then I am all for it, but if you guys think those other subs will still out perform the GTI please let me know and I will go the prebuilt way. I am all for experimenting but dont know what these brands sound like so I have no way of telling if what I built is up to par or not.

I can build a car that will place in the top 10 in the world for spl competition but am really new to knowledge of make a great set up for a house so I am sure I will have more questions. Anyone with knowledge that may help me I am listening. Thanks guys for the help.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-24-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02somls1ws6 View Post

I can build a car that will place in the top 10 in the world for spl competition but am really new to knowledge of make a great set up for a house so I am sure I will have more questions. Anyone with knowledge that may help me I am listening. Thanks guys for the help.

The best advice I can give you is expect to spend the next 4-5 weeks learning everything you can prior to construction. In the end you'll see that it's all about compromise - no one alignment is better than the rest and there are pros and cons to everything you do. You already have one advantage though: you know what drivers you'll be using. I don't think you can build a pluggable port that isn't going to have some negative effect somewhere else and I don't see anyone else doing it.

There is another thread running that explains the DIY ratio to retail. Guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Claims it to be 1 to 5 - for every dollar you spend equates to 5 retail. If you dump $500 into this [you'll have every bit of this by time its over], you'll have at least a $1500 sub retail. So, no, I would not just go out and buy one. The downside of course is tools and some skills...you need both. Patience is good too...

Warmon -

Warmon -
post #9 of 14 Old 10-24-2007, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 662
I prefer the W15GTi-based sub in my nearfield system to the Avalanche 18-based sub in my main rig*. It's an incredible driver. All that heatsinking may be pig-ugly, but it serves a purpose.

*both are sealed, medium-Q (0.6 range), powered and EQ'ed via Crown XTi2000 to the same mild house curve.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #10 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As Warmon said read as much as you can in the next couple of weeks. Home subbing is way different from caraudio.

You should download Unibox or WinIsd and start playing around with them. These are enclosure/response modeling programs.

If you want to go ported with these I would not tune any higher than about 17 or 18Hz. Some people tune their subs as low as 11hz. This is for Home theater which has alot of bass below 25hz. Most music doesn't have much of anything below 30hz. About the smallest ported sub that you would want with these would be roughly 7cuft each and you would probably want to go bigger than this. If a pair of boxes that big is too much I would stick with a sealed alignment.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 11:17 AM

I'll respectfully disagree with what was said above about porting low. I find it to be quite a sacrifice in perceived punch and power when porting anywhere below ~20Hz. Sure, you can snag some nice rumble from a few select movies, but for me it really takes away from the fun of a nice 22-25Hz ported sub.

DS-21 has likely the most experience with these subs in the home, and he is right .. they sound spectacular sealed in a nice big enclosure. I choose the smaller enclosure and just EQ the heck out of it. If there is one thing the GTi has going for it .. it's the awesome power handling and VERY little power compression.

Jim
post #12 of 14 Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well atleast you RESPECTFULLY disagreed. Thats what this forum is for eh?

I think that it partly depends on how large this room is and how loud these will be listened to also. I personally wouldn't tune that high for home theater, I'd rather just go sealed at that point, but to each his own.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM

Yep. It's about my personal taste. I got hooked on the LLT idea for a bit and had some fun with TitanAE and WOTW ... but I just felt it took too much away from what I liked about a powerful ported sub. I wanted it to kick my chest in .. not shake my booty

Jim
post #14 of 14 Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
What if you could do both? I am thinking of powerful mains (dual 10" woofers or more) crossed over to your sub at 60Hz or so. That way you get kicked in the chest by your mains, and your booty shaken by your sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page