First Post - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have been lurking on this site for a while trying to research a potential HT sub build. First off, I must say there are some very impresive subs on these pages. I doubt I will be building something to rival the dual 18 sono's I just finished reading about. But, I do hope to build something that will put a grin on my face and impress my friends during movie night.

Some history first:

I just finished building out my basement in a new home. Last home didnt have much in the way of a HT room and I kept things simple with some DIY Vifa two ways (P17 / D27) that I use for music and HT. I have the speaker cookbook somewhere from that build but ended up using Madisound to design and build the X-over. I love the sound. Not much in the way of base past 80Hz.

New room is 16 X 30 X 8 feet with and open stairwell at one end. My HT is positioned perpendicular to the length of the room with about 14 feet of wall where my plasma resides. Floor is carpeted, drywall on walls and ceiling. I am using my Vifas for the mains.

I definately need a sub or two, but also need to complete a center chanel and surrounds. I have on hand two Seas P14 RCY/TV and a Vifa D27SG-15 I bought a while ago for the center but have no clue on the T/S measurements or where to begin on a cross over. I also have two Seas / Focus P13WHOO and three Seas 19TNF/C tweeters for the surrounds.

For a Sub I would definately like to keep the price in line with the entire program so far. That means I am probably looking at a Shiva-X or a Tempest in a vented sono or box.

My biggest dilema right now is my HT layout. I have the option to put all equipment in a hall closet and have just the 58" plasma and speakers up front for a somewhat clean look with sub in back of seating area, or I can installl a low cabinet that runs the length of the 14' wall under the plasma and house equipment, center speaker, and sub /s on the ends. This will have to be determined before I can choose the Sub / center enclosures.

For the surrounds, I was thinking of just mounting the drivers on an MDF baffle and recessing them into the rear wall. I think I could make it look decent with a rounded over baffle and some speaker cloth. Sort of like a DIY wall mount. Has anyone done something like this?

If anyone can help me with the cross overs, or at least point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I would love to build them myself this time around. I will try to find some info on my speakers on the web for reference.

I figure the first step in this endever is to start posting and record my thoughts here. Hopefully the design will firm up with advise from this forum and I will be able to pull this off.

Thanks,

Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeug View Post

For the surrounds, I was thinking of just mounting the drivers on an MDF baffle and recessing them into the rear wall. I think I could make it look decent with a rounded over baffle and some speaker cloth. Sort of like a DIY wall mount. Has anyone done something like this?

Parts Express has DIY in-wall mounting systems as well as in-wall clamps. link

-Robert
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2008, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 View Post

Parts Express has DIY in-wall mounting systems as well as in-wall clamps.

-Robert

Wow, thanks Robert! For $20, not a bad solution. I think I might give these a try. If I paint the grill to match my tan walls, it should blend in well.

I noticed they had some $10 crossovers as well. Besides not being custom built to your system and probably not the highest quality parts, I wonder if these wouldnt be a bad choice for my surrounds. I would really like to keep the $$ free for the sub.

Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Just found spec sheets for the P13WHOO and the 19TNF tweet.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF...3wh-00-08e.pdf

http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vi...0225_19tnf.pdf

Looks like they might work together crossing at 3K or so.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
cjd

3k is pushing the P13's if you're looking at surround duty where you're far more likely to be listening more off-axis. IMHO.

Also likely to require crossing kinda high on the bass end too.

Running a small-face 25mm Seas tweeter with a broader slope at 2kHz may be the ticket.

I'm doing my own in-walls, much larger than the PE kits support. I don't do MDF, but it's just birch ply boxes with a mounting flange. WTMW's up front, fully in-wall (flush with the drywall - they're into a "false" wall of sorts that I framed specifically for this...). Surrounds not finalized, gotta do some experimentation. Will be partial in-walls though, with some changes to work with the near-listener placement I am stuck with in my 9 foot wide room.

If you use generic crossovers, you'll need to make sure that the drivers are impedance compensated and at the right actual impedance for what the crossovers expect (flat 8ohm or 4ohm, no rise, no Fs peak)

C
post #6 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointers CJD.

OK, I've been doing a LOT of reading and surfing trying to get back in to the swing of things. It's been 7 years or so since I built my mains and dont remember squat.

Obviously, I am looking at a comprimise for the surrounds. My budget is limited and I already have the P13 and the 19TNF. I still need to budget for a crossover, in-wall grills, and most importantly the SUB.

I understand the 19TNF is really not a good tweet for this build and I have been looking for a good deal / closeout as a replacement. I did find the Swifty kit at Madisound and for $55, it is not a bad deal.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1731
The tweet is also available separately for $11.50. Not too bad either.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1740
Looks pretty decent down to 1K and could probably cross well at 2K?

I am still working on getting up to speed with the crossover design and welcome anyone who can help. My goal is to keep it simple, remembering that the drivers are a comprimise anyways.

I hope to get some pictures of my HT up soon so you can see the room I am working with.

Kent
post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

As a side note, I am looking at a DIYAudio.com Tempest-X or something from Acoustic Elegance for my sub.

Both of these companies seem to offer a great driver for the price. Also, I have been impressed with the support John Janowitz and Kevin Haskins offer here on the board. No doubt, I will need a bit of support to get things right.

The Servodrive kit for around $500 seems cool too, but may be more oriented towards music.

Before I get too far along, I still need to decide placement issues with my equipment. Picture to follow will explain better.

Kent
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 12:36 PM
cjd

No experience with AE, but Kevin is awesome as are the Tempest-X's. I have 4 of 'em in an IB.

Servodrive is for people with ... um. nevermind. $500 can buy you an awful lot. The flat BL of the Tempest-X is likely to be nearly as low in distortion issues, and none of them are going to be so much of an issue in low frequency content that I find the Servodrive concept worth the money. If you're really making use of it, it probably means you need more surface area (i.e. more drivers/subs).
post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

IB looks interesting, but my HT is in the basement with no crawlspace or attic. I think you can do an IB with just a baffle in the space as well, but I doubt I could get this one past my wife.

Your in wall mains sound interesting. If I didnt have my mains now, I would probably be looking in-wall as well. Perhaps an upgrade when everything else is done. Keep us posted on the build.

Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page