Review: Sony VPL-VW90ES 3D Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Review: Sony VPL-VW90ES 3D Projector
By Joe Whitaker
Sony's $10K Elevated Standard 3D Projector also delivers outstanding 2D images, as well as excellent integration and calibration features.

Because of their nature -- usually involving a limited amount of time with a product - reviews can sometimes miss out on features, nuances and long-term performance. I've logged over a couple of hundred hours with the new Sony VPL-VW90ES 3D projector to try to give you true insight, from every aspect, into what I've found to be a great projector.

Before I go into the 3D aspects I want to discuss the 2D properties. As with most of Sony's new projectors you can expect most of the same features like Advanced Iris3 control, Motionflow, True 24p mode, Anamorphic Zoom mode, Multiple Cinema modes, 10-bit color delivery, Sony Digital Video Processing and a host of other Sony projection standards. Also included in this projector is the electronically adjustable lens shift.

This is the first Sony projector to ever carry the ES (Elevated Standard) badge, and it is for a reason - this is one of the best 2D projectors Sony has ever produced, and I can say that based on a ton of experience with the brand. At $9,999, I'd say it's hands-down the best ever made in this price range.

A couple of things really stood out, like the 150,000:1 contrast ratio. On Thanksgiving I sat down with some friends and watched football, and their response was astonishing (note that all of these friends were totally unbiased). I'd never seen a projector of this price point handle live sports so well.

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 AM

Useless review ! Full of technical mistakes and totally wrong facts !
post #3 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Does anyone know why Sony isn't listing this, along with their other home-use projectors, on its website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-03-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Does anyone know why Sony isn't listing this, along with their other home-use projectors, on its website?

Because it is an ES product. Sony no longer sells ES products directly, and it's hard enough to find one except from an ES dealer.

Thanks,

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page