AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Theaters (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/159-outdoor-theaters/)
-   -   Show off your outdoor screen! (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/159-outdoor-theaters/1012897-show-off-your-outdoor-screen.html)

Steve Scherrer 03-28-2008 07:48 AM

This thread is designed to show-off your outdoor screens! I know a lot of people post individual threads, but I thought it might be cool to have everyone's screens compiled together. (And this would be a good way to bounce ideas around).

I will try to get this stickied.

Anyway, here is my setup from last year, which is changing for this year (moving from the canvas screen to 4 4x8 boards for ease of setup.

Don't have a good shot of it in action, but it is about 16 x 7.5. Wrinkles and creases disappear during movies.

rsante 03-28-2008 01:06 PM

Here's my screen from about 3 years ago. I still use it a couple times a year.

The flash from the camera and the twilight mute the projected image, but this was from my pre-movie slideshow.

victor-eyd 03-29-2008 01:02 PM

Here's mine

165" but eventually upgrading to 200+"

Victor

ripdog 03-31-2008 11:22 AM

Here is Mine

mpcart 04-02-2008 08:13 PM

Here's mine. I just got a 16 x 9 piece of BOC that I am going to use instead of the canvas.

-Mike

Louis Zerr 04-03-2008 12:58 PM

ripdog, aren't you in MN?

ripdog 04-06-2008 08:11 PM

Yeah over in Rochester! Well, we both have to suffer through the long winters!

acaciolo 04-09-2008 09:06 PM

about 20' diagonal....made out of ultra smooth brite white stucco on the side of the house. border is black stucco...
LL

Funky_K 04-10-2008 10:50 AM

I have a Crestron home automation system for control.

Here you can see the screen up... in a motorized enclosure above the bay window:

This picture shows the screen down. The screen is a 100% opaque white sunshade... made to withstand the weather.

The projector is a Sanyo high definition model. I needed a projector that was very bright (3000 lumens), had a good throw distance, and good keystoning (since the angle is about 35 degrees). I have been very impressed with the picture quality as well as the viewing angle. People on the upper deck and in the hot tub can see a very clear picture. The projector sits on top of a rolling metal shelf that was intended for kitchen use. I keep it in the basement control room when it's not in use.

This is how the projector is connected to the control system. The following video sources are available:
DVDs from an Escient DVD server - 800 disc capacity
High definition DirecTV and OTA locals from 1 of 2 HD DirecTivos
PC access using wireless keyboard/mouse (1776X1000 or 1152X648 resolution)
Modified XBOX - can play games using wireless controllers and also use it as a network connected media server with XBMC
Security camera display... If the doorbell rings, I get an audio alert through the outdoor speakers. I can switch to the front door camera to see who is at the door, and talk to them through an intercom.

There are 3 audio zones that can be used, independently or together, depending on where people are located. Each zone has a local volume control knob.
Zone 1 is the main zone which has 2 12" Rockustics planter speakers. The arrow is pointing to one of them. These can be moved anywhere on the lower deck.
Zone 2 is on the upper deck. It has 2 8" planter speakers.
Zone 3 is the hot tub zone. There is 1 Niles dual speaker mounted under the deck directly facing the hot tub.
In addition to the audio that goes with the above video sources, FM radio is available as well as CDs in the Escient server and mp3s on the network.
In this picture you can also see a natural gas firepit, locted to the right of the projector... for those chilly nights.

This shows the HD Tivo source from the firepit area:

Here is a DVD image from behind the pool:

Good Morning America segment

BiikeMike 04-16-2008 09:55 PM

Funky K, that is just AWESOME!

I dig your setup, and i'm totally jealous!

I just ordered two Vision Experience screens, 10' and 16'. Going into a little business for myself

warrenP 04-21-2008 05:09 PM

Here is mine: 16x9 foot. Lots of fun!

AVS Thread here:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...hlight=warrenP

redlandsJan 04-24-2008 08:40 PM

Summer's coming and we want to take advantage of living in Southern California . So time for our first ever outdoor theater.
I bought the Optoma DV11 (amazon.com for $796.97), for us it's great as it has a built-in dvd player and speakers, with the option of adding on more speakers if we need more sound! The speakers are more than adequate when it's just our family, we haven't tried it out with a larger crowd yet.
I made a screen out of blackout fabric (bought from Joann fabrics for $20) and 3/4 pvc pipe (from Lowes for $20). I sewed channels up the side of the blackout fabric and ran the pvc pipe through them. I'm really happy with the screen. I can store it under the eaves of the house and just bring it out for movie nights.
The screen measures approx 72" by 41".
Now I just need to rent some good movies!

Steve Scherrer 04-25-2008 07:39 AM

Welcome to the club, RedlandsJan. Looks great! Good luck when you (inevitably) want to go bigger!

BiikeMike 04-27-2008 11:46 PM

Here are my new screens:

10'

16'

Both pictures were taken with flash to show size, that is why the screens look washed out. Here is my thread about them

tronn 04-30-2008 03:46 PM

heres a question for you inflatable outdoor screen owners: the pump that pumps up the screen... is it on all the time like those party jumpers? or it just pumps up the screen and then thats it you unplug it, like a inflatable swimming pool?

BiikeMike 04-30-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

heres a question for you inflatable outdoor screen owners: the pump that pumps up the screen... is it on all the time like those party jumpers? or it just pumps up the screen and then thats it you unplug it, like a inflatable swimming pool?

It depends on your screen. Most of them have a fan that runs the constantly like a jumper. (That is how mine are) Some of them pump up and then you turn the fan off, but from what I hear they are not as reliable. I have never used one, so I can't comment on that, thats just what I've heard

tronn 04-30-2008 04:14 PM

hrmh.... i guess youre outdoors anyways... have to crank up the stereo anyways, huh? well i guess now its time to look for a projector. (sub 1000 range) Thanks!

BiikeMike 04-30-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

hrmh.... i guess youre outdoors anyways... have to crank up the stereo anyways, huh? well i guess now its time to look for a projector. (sub 1000 range) Thanks!

The fans on my screens are really not very loud at all. I'm pretty impressed!

blues911 05-01-2008 11:43 AM

Here is a view of my 8x10 screen made out of PVC.
LL
LL
LL

timtimes 06-20-2008 04:02 PM

eight by sixteen feet. It is pproximately 35 feet from the front of my balcony viewing area to the screen.

pic 1 - screen with capture
pic 2 - screen only
pic 3 - view of screen and balcony gazebo from upper deck.
LL
LL
LL

Steve Scherrer 06-20-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimes View Post

eight by sixteen feet. It is pproximately 35 feet from the front of my balcony viewing area to the screen.

pic 1 - screen with capture
pic 2 - screen only
pic 3 - view of screen and balcony gazebo from upper deck.

Interesting that the seams don't really show up on the image. I am dealing with a similar design, but I have been struggling with how to minimize the seams between the panels. Perhaps I don't need to worry about it so much.

kiss_alive 06-25-2008 02:13 AM

heres mine. 12x8 with a canvas drop cloth. PVC frame.

Louis Zerr 07-24-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope Man View Post

Here is mine the screen is 12' x 9' I am projecting film not video.

Pics are from a show I did a few years ago In Rancho Sante Fe CA.

Umm, is that Barry McGuire in that second pic? Sure looks like him from the side angle.

Nice set up btw.

Louis Zerr 07-24-2008 12:33 PM

Here is mine, 6 pieces of 1" EMT makes about a 120" screen Very stable with the winds.

osirus68 07-30-2008 04:12 PM

Here's my Gemmy
LL
LL

ericwe 08-13-2008 09:32 AM

Thomas' Swim-Up BYT:

Panarama shot

5-year old Thomas in the pool

Random screen shot

Sample video link
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=...2-e05bf886879d

Lots of fun! E.

JustinTMR 10-10-2008 06:28 PM

I know its not exactly a 'screen', although I thought you guys might like it....

-Justin Harrison
http://www.TheMediaRoomOnline.com/

victor-eyd 10-11-2008 10:29 AM

I saw this on my vacation earlier this year to Boracay. Some plywood, white fabric, black and white paint, and voila! a 100" ipod

If you look at it closer, you'll notice they backlit the buttons also

billjames 10-25-2008 09:51 AM

I live in a very high wind city, any ideas for the screen?

Louis Zerr 10-30-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjames View Post

I live in a very high wind city, any ideas for the screen?

How big are you looking to go?

The pic I posted above was on a day that had 15-20mph sustained winds. There are really no big trees in our new development so the screen took them all in stride.