Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Driving outdoor speakers.

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but seemed appropriate.

We recently moved into a house. It has a covered pool patio pre-wired for a pair of speakers in the ceiling. The terminal for the speakers is inside the house (banana plug wall plate). Would like to rig something up on the cheap to get some basic stereo out on the patio. The indoor wall plate is nowhere near my home theater av equipment so using any kinda of zone 2 on AVR is not possible. I do have a old Sonos Zoneplayer 80 which I am not using which has RCA and optical outputs. I can probably get it close to the wall plate, but would then need some sorta 2ch amp?.

I will be going really cheap for the speaker themselves (like $50/pair at most) so don't need anything super powerful.

Ideally I would like someway to 'beam' zone2 output from my AVR out there but not sure any of the wireless speaker receiver/transmitter kits would work?. Its probably a good 50+ft from where AVR is to the terminals for the outdoor speakers. Not sure if there are any kinda of bluetooth solutions.

Curious for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-06-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Since you've got a Sonos Zoneplayer (now called Sonos Connect), a simple 2-channel amp would be the best answer. Easily available for <$100. Get one with automatic on/off "signal" or "music" sensing. I like the AudioSource AMP-100. But there are some others cheaper that may also be smaller and therefore easier to place.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2016, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Get a Sonos Connect Amp, a cheap 2 channel amp or a stereo receiver and you're good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-14-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seconding the Sonos Connect:Amp.

You could buy an amp to use with the old Zoneplayer, but why bother with two pieces of equipment when one will do?

Connect:Amps are pretty damn expensive, though. You really have to want it
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but seemed appropriate.

We recently moved into a house. It has a covered pool patio pre-wired for a pair of speakers in the ceiling. The terminal for the speakers is inside the house (banana plug wall plate). Would like to rig something up on the cheap to get some basic stereo out on the patio. The indoor wall plate is nowhere near my home theater av equipment so using any kinda of zone 2 on AVR is not possible. I do have a old Sonos Zoneplayer 80 which I am not using which has RCA and optical outputs. I can probably get it close to the wall plate, but would then need some sorta 2ch amp?.

I will be going really cheap for the speaker themselves (like $50/pair at most) so don't need anything super powerful.

Ideally I would like someway to 'beam' zone2 output from my AVR out there but not sure any of the wireless speaker receiver/transmitter kits would work?. Its probably a good 50+ft from where AVR is to the terminals for the outdoor speakers. Not sure if there are any kinda of bluetooth solutions.

Curious for any suggestions.
I love my chromecast audio for sending music to the patio. I have 2 different setups.
Setup (1): Powered speakers connected to a chromecast audio and music comes from spotify on my phone or computer
Setup (2): Small Lepai LP-2020A+ Amp with 2 bookshelf speakers in my garage. Chromecast audio is connected to the amp and music comes from spotify on my phone or computer.

Both work really well and with Chromecast Audio. I can create a group called Patio&Garage and my music will be playing in both areas or I can specifically play it one area.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page