Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector by the pool

Need some input on my proposed setup.

Installing a pool so running conduit, wires, etc will not be a problem.

Requirements:
  • A screen on the back side of the pool (see attached image)
  • Decent visibility of movie on the screen in late afternoon/early evening hours
  • Audio for backyard isolated to backyard and patio area
  • Screen to not look like a screen while not being used or hidden when not in use
  • Projector and screen not get damaged from outdoor environment or from pool water (splashing)

Proposed Setup
  • Rear projection setup
  • LG Electronics PF1000U Ultra Short Throw Smart Home Theater Projector
  • Glass or acrylic screen with Film or sprayed on material (visible vitrum)
  • Fully enclose the projector to the back side of the glass or acrylic

Questions:
  • If fully enclosed will the image be visible with late afternoon light?
  • Any recommendations on zoned audio systems?
  • Any recommendations on film or paint materials for rear projection?

I am comfortable with tools and electronics so if there are DIY recommendations I am interested in hearing about them.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outdoor Theater.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	1736401  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-03-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
I don't think that projector has enough lumens, that is bright enough, to to do what you want to do for "Decent visibility of movie on the screen in late afternoon/early evening hours". Projector Central's calculator gives the LG PF1000U 17fL with a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen with 5% ambient light; in other words an almost blacked out room.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-P...ulator-pro.htm

The LG PF1000U projector is rated at 1000 Lumens and has an LED light source. Most peoples practical experience with the current 1000 lumen LED/DLP light engines is more like 500-700 Lumens after calibration. I would suggest that you will need 3X the 1000 capacity or 3000 Lumins minimum to do what you want to do.

The "Visible Vitrum RPS 9 Plus" looks interesting and should yield good results, but again, I think you're going to need more Lumens than the LG PF1000U can deliver for late afternoon viewing. On Visible Vitrum's home page, they reference having "our RPS 9 Plus coating, a 3000 lumens projector". https://www.visiblevitrum.com/

This video of Visible Vitrum rear projection in daylight, is showing what looks like an Epson projector that I would guess to be in the 3000 Lumen range:

There is a company called ICE AV Global that sells a similar product as Visible Vitrum for front projection and they too recommend your projector be something around 3000 Lumens for out doors. Here's a link:
http://www.iceavglobal.com/

Then there is a company called UGO that sells a 3M film product that can be attached to glass or plexiglas for rear projection that would also work for you I think, but again, they recommend something around 3000 Lumins as a starting point. Again, here's a link for you: https://www.ugo-media.eu/materials/r...ection-screen/

As an aside, I just returned from Bilbao, Spain where I attended an exhibit titled "SIGH" by the artist/photographer SAM TAYLOR-JOHNSON at the Guggenheim Museum. Taylor-Johnson's exhibit used multiple digital projectors to rear project on multiple floating screens. The floating screens were made from a plexiglas/acrylic material with rear projection material (something like Dazian) stretched on one side where the image was projected. This allowed the guest to walk around the room and see the multiple screens from any position, front or rear, and was very effective. Here's a link to a video for the exhibit/show:

Taylor-Johnson also directed the 2009 film "Nowhere Boy", based on the childhood experiences of the Beatle songwriter and singer John Lennon.

This screen was very cleaver and I think low cost to make: Here's a link to Dazian screen material. Something like TRAPEZE® PLUS was the material stretched and attached to the plexi. https://www.dazian.com/fabrics/projection-lighting.aspx

As for Audio, I'm not sure I understand the question. Maybe you're concerned about sound levels and the neighbors? If that's the case, it's going to be difficult to keep the sound levels down and not disturb the neighbors with a surround sound set-up. I would maybe suggest you use wireless speakers and run your AV receiver in mono. That way you could place a speaker very near peoples seating positions in multiple locations around the pool and enjoy the picture "Drive Inn Movie style.

Sounds like a fun project. I think what you want to do is doable but you're going to need a projector with more Lumen capacity to work. Please up-date your post as you complete your project. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-03-2016, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Projector by the pool

B Curry,
Thanks for your input. I received the LG projector today and I was planning on running some tests this weekend but I may need to just return it. It looks like this may not give me what I want.

I have looked at the ICE Product as well as the UGO film. I requested the sample pack from UGO and I should receive that in the next couple weeks. Thanks for sharing the video that looked pretty cool. I did consider spandex as I found some people had some success with that material. I was thinking of stretching the spandex then sandwiching it between two 1/4" thick pieces of acrylic.

With regards to my zoned audio setup. What I want is: speaker(s) by the fire pit, speaker(s) by the jacuzzi, speakers in the patio area and speakers on the deck. I also want those specific areas to play music from a different source if desired.

I will definitely load pictures as the demo of my backyard has already started.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Demo.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	1752201  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-03-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
The exhibit at the Guggenheim had the rear projection material stretched on only one side of the plexi/acrylic and held in place with some aluminium picture frame channel. It was very nice looking and did an excellent job, much better than the video shows. You could try it but I think making a sandwich of the fabric and two pieces of acrylic would reduce the light out-put and maybe cause some unnecessary reflections. I know the Dazian TRAPEZE® material can be washed in a washing machine if it gets soiled. So, you could mount the screen acrylic side toward the pool and the fabric side toward the projector.

Your LG looks like a nice projector but I really think you're going to need more horsepower. We have an outdoor projection set-up in the summer with a 118" diagonal 16:9 screen and a projector rated at 3000 Lumens. It works well but I wish it had more out-put. We find that we wait until sunset or almost sunset to really enjoy it.

For your zoned audio, you need to shop for an AV receiver or pre-pro that would support 3 zones. Marantz and Denon have some and you could look a Yamaha, Pioneer, etc....

Sounds like you're on your way! Good Luck!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2019, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Finally finished!!!!

This was a nightmare of a project but we are finally done.

Here is a shot for now. I will upload more soon.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hk...ZjBLmLGk40Egsx

I do want to thank b curry for all of his insight. I was unable to return the LG short throw projector so we purchased some black out curtains in the event we wanted to start a movie when there is still light out. Unfortunately this scenario doesn't allow us to watch a move while in the pool. To be honest we really have not had an instance where we wanted to watch a movie while it is still light outside. Most of us want to enjoy the pool and by the time we are done with the pool and eating it is time for us to watch a movie.

Below is my current:
1. LG PF1000U Short Throw Projector - I like this because it only needs to be about 13 inches away from the screen to projects a 93" image.
2. 4 Monoprice 8" in ceiling speakers for the area under the covered patio
3. 1 Large Bose Outdoor in-ground speaker
4. 2 5" Outdoor TIC In-Ground Speakers for the planter boxes
5. 2 Infinity External wall mounted speakers for our upstairs deck.
6. 5 small amps with ChromeCast Audio connected to each amp - This allows me to create groups and only select specific speakers

My projector output is connected to a 1 in 8 out distribution setup. This allows me to play the projector audio through all my speakers [have never needed to do this yet].

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3950.png
Views:	68
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	2596010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3932.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2596012  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement