Getting ideas and suggestions for an outdoor theater setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Getting ideas and suggestions for an outdoor theater setup

Hello everyone, new here and new to setting up an outdoor theater. I apologize in advance for any n00b question as I navigate through this or the length of this post

Screen:
So starting with the screen, I am thinking about going with the following:
amazon.com/Elite-Screens-Manual-100-inch-Diagonal/dp/B008XGTXWE

I will install it on the roof eave which is about 18" long (from the wall to the end of the eave). I'll use some hooks to hang the screen. I know it's not weather proof but I am debating whether I can just roll it up and leave it there. I do live in south Florida so the summers can be stupidly hot which also brings lots of summer showers. I doubt it would get wet if it's under the eave near the wall, else I don't mind taking it off and storing it.

Projection location:
I have a gazebo which is 30' away from the wall so that's a 30' throw (I think that's the right term). I am thinking about a small "media cart" which I will place in the gazebo to project.

Projector:
This is obviously the most expensive piece of this project, I've quickly looked at ebay or craiglists, there are hits for units but they are not cinema ready so it's a 4:3 image. I've read that some have some setting to make it widescreen but that it can cut the edge of the image since the projector is just trying to mimic a 16:9. I dont think this is a problem but your input is appreaciated .
I do live in the city, but our backyard is pretty dark at sunset, not much street lights or neighbor lights. Do have some trees which help reduce any outside ambient light. With that said, I have read the 2000 lumens is a good decent number for a projector where outside lighting is not too much of an issue. But how about with a 30' throw? Is this ok? If anything I can always move the media cart closer to the screen, not a biggie.

Audio and Video source:
I have a spare laptop that I could plug in via vga or hdmi to a projector. I can connect to my wifi and stream away. I was thinking about a dvd or bluray but you can find most movies shows via netflix, hulu, amazon, etc... BUT if I ever have a need for a disc the laptop has a dvd and I could always purchase a small bluray player, even a refurb bluray such as amazon.com/LG-Streaming-Services-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B012197UO6/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484668339&sr =1-7&keywords=blu+ray+player

I also have a chromecast which I would like to use. I assume it could work as long as the projector has an hdmi input, can someone confirm?

For audio, I have a VIZIO sound bar and sub that I am not currently using. I would just run a long audio cable from the projector out towards the screen (along with a power extension of course).

So I think that's all for now, anything else I might be missing? I am not trying to compete with AMC or IMAX, just a nice backyard movie viewing experience

I am attaching a not to scale with rounded measurements of the area I am working with. (well I just noticed I needed 5 posts, so that will have to wait )

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	project project.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1901097  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-19-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceez97 View Post
Hello everyone, new here and new to setting up an outdoor theater. I apologize in advance for any n00b question as I navigate through this or the length of this post

Screen:
So starting with the screen, I am thinking about going with the following:
amazon.com/Elite-Screens-Manual-100-inch-Diagonal/dp/B008XGTXWE

I will install it on the roof eave which is about 18" long (from the wall to the end of the eave). I'll use some hooks to hang the screen. I know it's not weather proof but I am debating whether I can just roll it up and leave it there. I do live in south Florida so the summers can be stupidly hot which also brings lots of summer showers. I doubt it would get wet if it's under the eave near the wall, else I don't mind taking it off and storing it.

Projection location:
I have a gazebo which is 30' away from the wall so that's a 30' throw (I think that's the right term). I am thinking about a small "media cart" which I will place in the gazebo to project.

Projector:
This is obviously the most expensive piece of this project, I've quickly looked at ebay or craiglists, there are hits for units but they are not cinema ready so it's a 4:3 image. I've read that some have some setting to make it widescreen but that it can cut the edge of the image since the projector is just trying to mimic a 16:9. I dont think this is a problem but your input is appreaciated .
I do live in the city, but our backyard is pretty dark at sunset, not much street lights or neighbor lights. Do have some trees which help reduce any outside ambient light. With that said, I have read the 2000 lumens is a good decent number for a projector where outside lighting is not too much of an issue. But how about with a 30' throw? Is this ok? If anything I can always move the media cart closer to the screen, not a biggie.

Audio and Video source:
I have a spare laptop that I could plug in via vga or hdmi to a projector. I can connect to my wifi and stream away. I was thinking about a dvd or bluray but you can find most movies shows via netflix, hulu, amazon, etc... BUT if I ever have a need for a disc the laptop has a dvd and I could always purchase a small bluray player, even a refurb bluray such as amazon.com/LG-Streaming-Services-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B012197UO6/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484668339&sr =1-7&keywords=blu+ray+player

I also have a chromecast which I would like to use. I assume it could work as long as the projector has an hdmi input, can someone confirm?

For audio, I have a VIZIO sound bar and sub that I am not currently using. I would just run a long audio cable from the projector out towards the screen (along with a power extension of course).

So I think that's all for now, anything else I might be missing? I am not trying to compete with AMC or IMAX, just a nice backyard movie viewing experience

I am attaching a not to scale with rounded measurements of the area I am working with. (well I just noticed I needed 5 posts, so that will have to wait )

Thanks!
anyone?
active forum?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-20-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Click on this link:

http://www.visualapex.com/projector-...ectoScreen_100

Buy the package and be done with it.

You're not going to have a 30' throw with a 100" screen. The projector in the link above will be between 10' to 12' for a 100" screen. You can use the screen on legs or hang it from under your soffit.

http://www.visualapex.com/utube/Proj...reen-120HD.asp

Last edited by b curry; 01-20-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-20-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
I had an outdoor theater long ago with 5 klipsch aws speakers mounted about 7 feet high all around. it sounded good, but it was a neighbor problem and at that time my neighbors were at least 1/2 acre away(couple city lots)...

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I had an outdoor theater long ago with 5 klipsch aws speakers mounted about 7 feet high all around. it sounded good, but it was a neighbor problem and at that time my neighbors were at least 1/2 acre away(couple city lots)...
Next time, invite the neighbor.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Family main setup:
Pioneer Elite SC LX502/BDP Pioneer Elite 85FD/Logitech Touch
Pioneer Elite N50/Cassette Pioneer M66R/
Panamax M5300 EX/TV Vizo UHD P55-E1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement