Largest Outdoor Screen - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #91 of 104 Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Good to see your still in business! Sorry to hear about your pup. Hope you had some time to enjoy your big screen outdoors this summer.

Saw this in the Detroit News paper Sunday...
HAHA!!! Even Detroit knows about it, wow.

So I haven't converted the screen to the picture frame EMT yet. Those 2 vertical EMTs in the middle are showing up in the wind. Since my EMT is attached to the arbor (only at the top and bottom actually), do you think I can try to remove the 2 vertical EMTs in the middle and see what happens?

I'd have to cut them off for now, because it's a T clamp, so the T clamp would still show up. Even if it doesn't work it's no huge loss, I have to redo into a picture configuration anyway so the pipes don't show, but when it's windy they're showing up clearly.

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post
HAHA!!! Even Detroit knows about it, wow.

So I haven't converted the screen to the picture frame EMT yet. Those 2 vertical EMTs in the middle are showing up in the wind. Since my EMT is attached to the arbor (only at the top and bottom actually), do you think I can try to remove the 2 vertical EMTs in the middle and see what happens?

I'd have to cut them off for now, because it's a T clamp, so the T clamp would still show up. Even if it doesn't work it's no huge loss, I have to redo into a picture configuration anyway so the pipes don't show, but when it's windy they're showing up clearly.
Yes, actually I was going to suggest that in the last post.

The vertical supports are connected by a T fitting. I would remove the vertical EMT from the T fitting and just rotate the T fitting 90°'s. So at the moment the bottom vertical leg of the T fitting is pointing at 12 o'clock on the bottom run of EMT and 6 o'clock on the top run. So you would loosen the fitting screws and rotate the T fitting so the vertical leg is pointed to the back of the wood frame at a 3 o'clock position

You've secured the EMT to the wood frame so the EMT should stay securely in place with no problem. The T fitting is still a connecting sleeve for the horizontal top and bottom EMT run and the vertical leg will/should not really be noticeable if it's rotated to the back and should also eliminate any possibility of it coming in contact with the screen material.

Carl's does have a part number FC connecting sleeve fitting as well.
post #93 of 104 Old 09-20-2018, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Yes, actually I was going to suggest that in the last post.

The vertical supports are connected by a T fitting. I would remove the vertical EMT from the T fitting and just rotate the T fitting 90°'s. So at the moment the bottom vertical leg of the T fitting is pointing at 12 o'clock on the bottom run of EMT and 6 o'clock on the top run. So you would loosen the fitting screws and rotate the T fitting so the vertical leg is pointed to the back of the wood frame at a 3 o'clock position

You've secured the EMT to the wood frame so the EMT should stay securely in place with no problem. The T fitting is still a connecting sleeve for the horizontal top and bottom EMT run and the vertical leg will/should not really be noticeable if it's rotated to the back and should also eliminate any possibility of it coming in contact with the screen material.

Carl's does have a part number FC connecting sleeve fitting as well.
Excellent ideas, I'll give it a shot and report back. I don't have that much room in between the T fitting/EMT and the wood frame though (probably only an inch). If I push it to against the arbor it would probably bow the screen in those areas (?).

I might be able to rotate it upward and out of the way for now. This is kind of temporary until I redo the configuration as we thought (double border) with no EMT behind it.

Game room:

Last edited by elmalloc; 09-20-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 104 Old 09-20-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Excellent ideas, I'll give it a shot and report back. I don't have that much room in between the T fitting/EMT and the wood frame though (probably only an inch). If I push it to against the arbor it would probably bow the screen in those areas (?).

I might be able to rotate it upward and out of the way for now. This is kind of temporary until I redo the configuration as we thought (double border) with no EMT behind it.
I'm thinking you can get away without having to do a truss type, double frame.

I'm assuming that you have the T fittings installed with the screws on the back side of the frame. You might have to turn them around, screw side facing the front, to rotate it and clear the wood arbor frame.

Yea, you might get some bowing. I'm not sure how you have attached the EMT to the wood, but adding some more attachment points should distribute the load and avoid any bowing.

Last edited by b curry; 09-20-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #95 of 104 Old 12-09-2018, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Saw another member is using this to enclose their projector outside, I will probably use it if I don't end up building a theater room "outside" and rather just a deck with a roof:
https://www.deertv.com/products/larg...=5965261242397

Although interestingly it does not list the type of glass it has in the front?

Game room:
post #96 of 104 Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=elmalloc;57243262]Saw another member is using this to enclose their projector outside, I will probably use it if I don't end up building a theater room "outside" and rather just a deck with a roof:
https://www.deertv.com/products/larg...=5965261242397

Although interestingly it does not list the type of glass it has in the front?

That unit seems to be sold under several different brand names. Here it is from Kinytech as well as a video showing it.

https://www.kinytech.com/outdoor-projector-enclosure/

post #97 of 104 Old 06-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
More pictures to come. It's fantastic! I couldn't have imagined better, and I can imagine a lot. This makes no sense!

Elmalloc, congrats on your build! This is probably the most fun thread I have read during my time here, really enjoyed it. I am trying to build something similar. Do you mind sharing details on how you accomplished scope with this projector? Did you use an anamorphic lens? If so, what kind? How did you do vertical stretch of the image?
elmalloc likes this.
post #98 of 104 Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrseth View Post
Elmalloc, congrats on your build! This is probably the most fun thread I have read during my time here, really enjoyed it. I am trying to build something similar. Do you mind sharing details on how you accomplished scope with this projector? Did you use an anamorphic lens? If so, what kind? How did you do vertical stretch of the image?
Hi! Thanks, I hoped someone else would find it fun/funny.

First off, the zoning lady came to look at my deck plans and she told me I have to tear down that arbor or she'll take me to court. She said that before saying hello. She definitely had an agenda against me, I'm not sure why (well, I can guess, I'm not white and I live in a predominantly white area for starters).

She said what are those metal pipes, do you hang something on this? I said it's an arbor. So she said do you hang anything form it? I said once a year, in the last 2 years. She said "no, have to take it down". Super power trip, not sure how those people sleep well at night. That wasn't a good day (same day you posted, actually).

A variance is $600 and no guarantee I'll be allowed to keep it, neighbors said they're OK with it (of course). I could also cut it down to 6ft tall and just attach the EMT pipes as necessary at night. I told her how would you know if I temporarily put the EMT up, are you going to come check on me at night? (The conversation wasn't going well lol).

She also yelled at some Chinese people in my backyard area. She said "I'm with the zoning department. Can I help you? Do you have a reason to be here? You shouldn't be here." To which the Chinese people said "No speak English" and walked away. That was embarassing, it's a public pond! Believe me if I could tell the fishing drunk hicks back there to "you shouldn't be here", I would have, lol.

Anyway, back to your question.

I'm using the Epson PRO G7500-U. I picked up a refurb for a great price from Epson (it was only $3300!). Get their PRO series stuff, they're meant for "large venue". The picture is amazing (if you can see in earlier photos), it's actually remarkable in the definition of the term. It helps a ton that it's pitch black at night, of course.

So I had qualms about using a lens or not, and having to zoom. THe projector is 30ft away from 21ftx9ft screen, and I'm zooming in to fill the screen. Any light loss is not missed (in my minimal testing of various content), it's plenty bright. I think we calculated something like 25-30+ ftrL earlier in this thread, after zooming? IIRC the projector has 6500 lumens color AND 6500 lumens white. It's a cannon, it's relatively quiet too. It's pretty much perfect, the faux-K algorithm really helps on these larger screen sizes, the picture quality is stellar. I haven't tried running HDR through it, though, but otherwise very acceptable for the price. Image is very sharp. Maybe I got lucky, I don't seem to have much luck in my life so I'll take it lol.

I will update this thread as the deck build goes, on soon. Not going with a sunroom, couldn't get anyone to undertake making a 14ft+ wide custom anti reflective glass.

Game room:

Last edited by elmalloc; 06-05-2019 at 05:08 AM.
post #99 of 104 Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your reply and good luck with the nasty lady on a power trip!
post #100 of 104 Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tentatively, we will start building the deck next week. I've contacted the famous B. Curry for some advice, we will be struggling with the following:
  • In-ceiling speakers? Any other outdoor speaker recommendations?
  • What HDMI cable to use for 35-50ft run?
  • Any suggested receiver for this job?
  • Any ideas of how to raise/lower the screen on the 6x6 posts? For example we would attach it with EMT pipes, but some way to roll the pipes up a couple feet into better viewing height - no idea yet lol.

I'll post pictures as they come in, but still haven't 100% figured out how to deal with the carl's place screen mounting.

The deck will be only 1 tier and I'm trying to get glass panel railing, I originally designed multi tier with the 2nd level having no railing (unobstructed view!) but my dog needs to be able to get to sunlight, if I multi tier it, she's not allowed to use steps anymore (only ramps), so she wouldn't be able to get out from under the shade. Hard to have it all, really, lol.

ELmO

Game room:
post #101 of 104 Old 07-26-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yesterday they dug the holes, today, much of the deck is framed.

Dog ramp still in progress, drops 38", we're debating having ramp 25-30ft. Really, this deck is just for my dog so she can use a ramp instead of steps (not allowed anymore after her back surgery). Maybe went overboard with deck, looks fricking huge now that it's framed.

Will be calling b. curry soon to get ideas on the carl's place screen, since I had to drop the 6x6 posts to only 6', need a way to mount it (temporarily) and at the correct height, since deck is now significantly higher than patio level.

There used to be a Unilock patio here, dug each piece out and sold it to my neighbor for only $200.

We'll pick back up with the framing on Monday, to finish the ramp.

Game room:
post #102 of 104 Old 07-29-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the dog ramp (4x25ft) framed and the trusses came in.

Game room:
post #103 of 104 Old 07-30-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Trusses up!