Outdoor equipment enclosures - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Outdoor equipment enclosures

What are you all using to protect your equipment from the elements? I'm not actually doing a theater, but network and audio for my back yard. Ideally I'd like to have a weatherproof outdoor enclosure for a small network switch, an amp, and a Sonos Connect or similar. So not a ton of stuff, but maybe 3-4 things and I definitely want to make sure they're not going to get rained on, mice chewing their wires, etc. I will have a shade structure, but I'm not expecting any cabinets or anything in it that would allow for this, so I probably need something that can mount on the side of the house. I'm open to other ideas, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-15-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding View Post
What are you all using to protect your equipment from the elements? I'm not actually doing a theater, but network and audio for my back yard. Ideally I'd like to have a weatherproof outdoor enclosure for a small network switch, an amp, and a Sonos Connect or similar. So not a ton of stuff, but maybe 3-4 things and I definitely want to make sure they're not going to get rained on, mice chewing their wires, etc. I will have a shade structure, but I'm not expecting any cabinets or anything in it that would allow for this, so I probably need something that can mount on the side of the house. I'm open to other ideas, though.
I purchased a DeerTV small projector enclosure for my projector. It has a weatherproof vent air intake on the bottom and a temperature-regulated fan to exhaust heat on the back. There is a foam-filled louvered port on the back for wires to come in and out. The front has plexiglass and has a lock. I leave my projector in it and it works great. I do have a little too much movement allowed with the mount I'm using, which I haven't quite figured out how to stabilize.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ah, intriguing. Thank you. We won't have a projector, but something like that still looks like it might work, and it's cheaper than the other options I've seen. I wish they had a version without the plexiglass. I also think something more vertical than horizontal would probably work better for me, so I can put it on the side of the house and not block too much of the walkway between the fence and the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding View Post
You're looking for what is called a weather proof NEMA enclosure. Google for it, there's lots out there or here's some links:

http://www.factorymation.com/enclosu...SAAEgIL2PD_BwE

https://store.solutionsdirectonline....ver-c1510.aspx

http://www.l-com.com/nema-enclosures...iAAEgKVqvD_BwE

Last edited by b curry; 05-16-2018 at 08:27 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2020, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
bumping this 2 year old post to see if anything else more budget minded has come along for a projector enclosure since DEERTV. that product looks great but it costs more than my projector I'm using outdoors!!
post #6 of 8 Old 06-29-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr View Post
bumping this 2 year old post to see if anything else more budget minded has come along for a projector enclosure since DEERTV. that product looks great but it costs more than my projector I'm using outdoors!!
KINYTECH/DeerTV is still the lowest cost outdoor projector enclosure that I know of. It's a very basic unit and offers very limited cooling, dust and moisture control.

Cooling is limited to a thermal switch that activates a fan that draws outside air into the box when the internal box temperature reaches ~85° F. So any cooling is somewhat dubious as outdoor air temperature can easily be much higher during summer months. In other words, you could be forcing hot air into a box of hot air.

Any dust control is limited by what can be filtered from the air intake and exhaust filters.

While the cabinet itself is water resistant and will do a reasonably good job protecting from rain and snow, the air intake and exhaust fan does nothing to control any moisture or humidity drawn into the unit. There is also the possibility of condensation formation inside the box.

Outdoor projector enclosures that do a better job of temperature/humidity control move into the $3000-$10,000 range very quickly.

But for keeping a projector outdoors and offing some protection from rain, UV light, and some dust, the KINYTECH/DeerTV unit offers basic protection. For what it is, the price is not too bad.

You might take a DIY approach and build something similar to the KINYTECH/DeerTV for less.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-29-2020, 07:09 AM

thanks very much for the detailed response. I'm not very handy at DIY but have been mulling it over and it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to build a box with a fan. At least it's a cheap HD26 I'll have outside and if it dies I won't be too upset if I have to upgrade
post #8 of 8 Old 07-06-2020, 05:54 PM

I ended up ordering the deertv medium size. That way it will have room for my tivo mini and small SMSL amp. I'd been trying to figure out what to do to make those weather resistant (or whether to put them in the house and run cables) and the deertv box killed two birds with one credit card transaction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page