Evolution of a Backyard Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By cliff841
  • 2 Post By cliff841

post #1 of 3 Old 07-01-2018, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Evolution of a Backyard Theater

My backyard theater has evolved over the years and is now better than ever. I started with a cheapo projector we had laying around (don't even remember the name) and a sheet. The next year I added an 80" screen which made a big difference but the projector wasn't enough for the size and it had to be very dark. Last year I upgraded to an Epson 1040 which I'm very happy with. This year I upgraded the screen to an Elite Screens Yard Master 2 120". The sound has evolved as well. Originally I used a small bluetooth speaker plugged into a DVD player output. Now I use either a Logitech 2.1 computer speaker system I had laying around when it's just a few people or a Monoprice party speaker when I have a crowd. The Logitech actually sounds great. The source started with a DVD player and is now an Apple TV. I couldn't be happier with the setup. We have it out several times a week now.

The only thing the Elite Screen should have included is a tightener for the guy-ropes. I was tying knots but that takes extra time. I bought some figure 9 tighteners from REI (also available at Amazon) which make it very quick to tighten the ropes. Now the whole thing sets up and comes down very quickly. Putting the projector, Apple TV, power strip and speakers on a rolling cart also helps the setup takedown process.

This setup was fairly inexpensive and is easy to move around the yard for either dive in movies or to watch on the grass. When I bought the new screen my wife wasn't thrilled but the first night watching Jaws in the pool she said she was happy we upgraded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8605.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	517.5 KB
ID:	2422584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2453.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	516.3 KB
ID:	2422586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2458.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	690.8 KB
ID:	2422588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2461.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	972.9 KB
ID:	2422590  
xpostal and drunkpenguin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2018, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have a teenager outdoor movie party scheduled Friday night. Of course it is supposed to be 112 Friday and it will still be 100 when the first movie starts. It has been in the high 80's for days and now the heat wave. I can't really complain because so many areas are getting it worse but still....

We will be starting with Jaws and then a teen targeted movie which hasn't been finalized. It still should be fun.

We have been watching movies outside with the immediate family 3-4 nights a week which has been great. This will be our second big party with the new setup.
xpostal and drunkpenguin like this.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Family main setup:
Pioneer Elite SC LX502/BDP Pioneer Elite 85FD/Logitech Touch
Pioneer Elite N50/Cassette Pioneer M66R/
Panamax M5300 EX/TV Vizo UHD P55-E1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement