Getting Video to Outdoor Projector from Inside AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting Video to Outdoor Projector from Inside AVR

I would really appreciate any thoughts on how to negotiate the following.

I'm in the process of expanding an existing, fixed backyard audio solution to include a video component for movie nights. As it currently sits, I have some landscape speakers (two TIC GS3s) outside connected (via direct burial wire) to an AVR in my basement. This works well. What I would like to do (and am in the process of researching) is to add a projector along with a temporary screen. I feel pretty confident in the options I'm looking at for those components. The issue I'm stumped on, as the title suggests, is getting the video feed from the indoor AVR to the projector outside.

I'll continue using the system primarily (95% of the time) for audio in the backyard. It's the 5% of the time when we will want to watch a movie for which I am seeking an elegant, simple solution that ideally doesn't require me to bring the AVR outside in order to connect it to the projector.

Again, any thoughts or experiences here would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
The best way of course is to run the necessary wires. If it's a long run you can use HDMI over Cat5/Cat6.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...ionsandAnswers

The IOGEAR wireless HDMI kit GW3DHDKIT is a very good option as well. I use one of these to send the feed from our cable TV box to a TV/projector outdoors. It maybe the simple solution you're after. It's rated for 600 foot transmission distance.

You would have your video source plugged into the AVR and video out of the AVR attached to the IOGEAR transmitter and the IOGEAR receiver attached to the projector.

https://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/

Last edited by b curry; 07-03-2018 at 01:46 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
What would the cable run look like? How far? Can it remain out of whether?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
The best way of course is to run the necessary wires. If it's a long run you can use HDMI over Cat5/Cat6.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...ionsandAnswers

The IOGEAR wireless HDMI kit GW3DHDKIT is a very good option as well. I use one of these to send the feed from our cable TV box to a TV/projector outdoors. It maybe the simple solution you're after. It's rated for 600 foot transmission distance.

You would have your video source plugged into the AVR and video out of the AVR attached to the IOGEAR transmitter and the IOGEAR receiver attached to the projector.

https://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/

I had just started to read some stuff on wireless HDMI. Is it quality? Any signal degradation or other issues (over distance and through walls) that might affect quality/reliability of broadcast? The basement AVR is behind a brick wall and probably about 30' from where the projector will reside. Wireless definitely seems like the ideal solution and, assuming it isn't hit-or-miss I wouldn't be opposed to shelling out for it. UPDATE: Reviews on Amazon look iffy at best. Am I just going to have to suck it up and run the HDMI over CAT 5/6 into the basement? Assuming that is the case, can I run one buried conduit with both speaker wires and CAT 5/6?

Last edited by Astro1001; 07-03-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
It's an approximately 30' run and no, it wouldn't be possible to keep it completely out of the elements.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
It would look like any other cable run. You can use weatherproof/waterproof UV rated direct burial or run it in conduit or sealtight conduit.

EDIT: The length of the run will depend on the technology you use. Cat5e/6 over HDBaseT can be in excess of 200 feet and over 300 feet with TCP/IP or KVM. Then there is also fiber optic and fiber USB.

HD-Link HL24 by Sewell claims 2 miles over any two conductor cable.

Last edited by b curry; 07-03-2018 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro1001 View Post
I had just started to read some stuff on wireless HDMI. Is it quality? Any signal degradation or other issues (over distance and through walls) that might affect quality/reliability of broadcast? The basement AVR is behind a brick wall and probably about 30' from where the projector will reside. Wireless definitely seems like the ideal solution and, assuming it isn't hit-or-miss I wouldn't be opposed to shelling out for it.
It depends...

I'm sending 1080P/1080i/720p/480p signal an easy 60'-70' from the living room cable box through the home's 6" exterior wall to the backyard. There is no signal degradation. When I'm not using it for outside, it feeds a bedroom TV on the second story floor also with no problems. The remote that comes with it will switch between two sources. The cable box and DVD/Blu-ray players remotes will also work with the IOGEAR transmitter/receiver to control the DVD/Blu-ray player and cable box from the remote location. We use it for outdoor TV during the summer.

If you're sending from the basement I would probably suggest running an HDMI cable upstairs and position the IOGEAR transmitter on the ground floor. I'm not sure that it would overcome being buried in a basement.

Can't really speak to your exact situation but the IOGEAR works very well for me and IOGEAR is just about the only game in town. That is, the other wireless HDMI units available that I have seen or tried have less range.

I bought mine at BestBuy for $50 less than MSRP.

Quote:
UPDATE: Reviews on Amazon look iffy at best. Am I just going to have to suck it up and run the HDMI over CAT 5/6 into the basement? Assuming that is the case, can I run one buried conduit with both speaker wires and CAT 5/6?
Yes, you can run both in the same conduit.

Last edited by b curry; 07-03-2018 at 03:03 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It depends...

I'm sending 1080P/1080i/720p/480p signal an easy 60'-70' from the living room cable box through the home's 6" exterior wall to the backyard. There is no signal degradation. When I'm not using it for outside, it feeds a bedroom TV on the second story floor also with no problems. The remote that comes with it will switch between two sources. The cable box and DVD/Blu-ray players remotes will also work with the IOGEAR transmitter/receiver to control the DVD/Blu-ray player and cable box from the remote location. We use it for outdoor TV during the summer.

If you're sending from the basement I would probably suggest running an HDMI cable upstairs and position the IOGEAR transmitter on the ground floor. I'm not sure that it would overcome being buried in a basement.

Can't really speak to your exact situation but the IOGEAR works very well for me and IOGEAR is just about the only game in town. That is, the other wireless HDMI units available that I have seen or tried have less range.

I bought mine at BestBuy for $50 less than MSRP.

Yes, you can run both in the same conduit.
Alright, thank you. This is helpful. I saw that IOGEAR was Wirecutter's pick so clearly it's working for a number of people (you included). Certainly enough positive feedback to warrant giving it a run in lieu of digging up ground and drilling into walls.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alright, thank you. This is helpful. I saw that IOGEAR was Wirecutter's pick so clearly it's working for a number of people (you included). Certainly enough positive feedback to warrant giving it a run in lieu of digging up ground and drilling into walls.
If you can position the transmitter at ground level near a window, I think you will have no problem. Good luck!
post #10 of 17 Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you can position the transmitter at ground level near a window, I think you will have no problem. Good luck!
That should be doable. Thanks again and I'll report back.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-05-2018, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It would look like any other cable run. You can use weatherproof/waterproof UV rated direct burial or run it in conduit or sealtight conduit.

EDIT: The length of the run will depend on the technology you use. Cat5e/6 over HDBaseT can be in excess of 200 feet and over 300 feet with TCP/IP or KVM. Then there is also fiber optic and fiber USB.

HD-Link HL24 by Sewell claims 2 miles over any two conductor cable.
Well I discovered the cable folks were kind enough to leave a couple of holes out of the room where I plan to setup my AVR. As such, it is probably going to be cheaper (and potentially more reliable?) to just run fixed lines. The Cat5e/6 and the speaker wire will all fit through one of these holes nicely. My question now is how should I terminate the HDMI over Cat5e/6 outside? The run will be approximately 50' and will eventually emerge from the ground at the back of my deck, upon which the projector will sit. When I'm not using the projector, what's a good way to store/protect the Cate5/6 cable? Additionally, as it appears I am going to go with a projector that does not feature HDMI in (it has DVI-D in), what is the best solution for eventually connecting the Cat5e/6? Should I still use the aforementioned HDMI extender and then add an HDMI-to-DVI adapter? Should I just use an Cat5e/6-to-DVI adapter outside? Thanks for any additional thoughts.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-05-2018, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I discovered the cable folks were kind enough to leave a couple of holes out of the room where I plan to setup my AVR. As such, it is probably going to be cheaper (and potentially more reliable?) to just run fixed lines. The Cat5e/6 and the speaker wire will all fit through one of these holes nicely. My question now is how should I terminate the HDMI over Cat5e/6 outside? The run will be approximately 50' and will eventually emerge from the ground at the back of my deck, upon which the projector will sit. When I'm not using the projector, what's a good way to store/protect the Cate5/6 cable?
What I would suggest is to run conduit from the house to the projector location at the deck. Attach a waterproof hinged NEMA box or weather proof gang box (google for it) to the conduit for the Cat5/HDMI and speaker cable terminations. This will allow you to make the necessary connection for the projector when you're using it and protect the connections keeping them out of any weather when your not. You can position the box somewhere out of the way on the deck; perhaps on a joist, etc.

Quote:
Additionally, as it appears I am going to go with a projector that does not feature HDMI in (it has DVI-D in), what is the best solution for eventually connecting the Cat5e/6? Should I still use the aforementioned HDMI extender and then add an HDMI-to-DVI adapter? Should I just use an Cat5e/6-to-DVI adapter outside? Thanks for any additional thoughts.
I think the most cost effective and easiest way to do it will be to stick with the HDMI over Cat5/6 hardware and use a simple HDMI to DVI adapter for the projector. This will also give you some future proof with regards to a projector with HDMI connection upgrade down the road.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...m-3.2ft/1.html

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by b curry; 07-05-2018 at 06:51 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What I would suggest is to run conduit from the house to the projector location at the deck. Attach a waterproof hinged NEMA box or weather proof gang box (google for it) to the conduit for the Cat5/HDMI and speaker cable terminations. This will allow you to make the necessary connection for the projector when you're using it and protect the connections keeping them out of any weather when your not. You can position the box somewhere out of the way on the deck; perhaps on a joist, etc.

I think the most cost effective and easiest way to do it will be to stick with the HDMI over Cat5/6 hardware and use a simple HDMI to DVI adapter for the projector. This will also give you some future proof with regards to a projector with HDMI connection upgrade down the road.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...m-3.2ft/1.html

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
Great idea! I was actually thinking about setting up an outdoor volume control for the sound system like this. I can add this on and mount them to either side of a deck post while also making my wiring runs easier. Is the conduit (at least below ground) requisite? I've read a lot of differing opinions about this with some saying you can just bury low-voltage landscaping wire (as I did for the audio) without conduit. Of course conduit will help preserve the wiring for longer but is it really necessary for, say, a five year planned usage?

Now, at the risk of going off topic a bit...some additional research I have done (including an exchange you were involved in last year) has led me to question if I'm on the right path with a projector I may be acquiring from a Craigslist seller. I would be interested to hear any feedback on the suitability of a Mitsubishi FL7000U for my planned setup/goals.

What I am trying to do is throw an image approx. 28-30' off the back of my deck and onto a 144" screen in the backyard. This is exclusively for fair-weather movie nights (starting around sundown) for my and neighborhood kids. As such, I really have no desire or intention of putting a great deal of financial resources into this. The deal I am considering is $225 for the Mitsubishi AND a replacement lamp. This is seems like a good deal in isolation, but does it make sense for my objectives? I believe I understand all the drawbacks - potentially a bit on the bright side, contrast not going to be as good as some of the newer, more home theater focused models. But I (again) believe it is a decent fit at a "why not" price. The projector central calculator suggests it's doable. Is there any reason I should not? Put another way, are there substantial gains to be had spending a little more money on something else that is readily available on the secondary market? Additional information which may be useful: I'm looking at the VAPEX Projecto 144HD (1.1 gain) for my screen.

Again, any thoughts are appreciated, even if it is to suggest I start a new thread. Also, happy to DM you, b curry, if that is preferred (and acceptable).
post #14 of 17 Old 07-06-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great idea! I was actually thinking about setting up an outdoor volume control for the sound system like this. I can add this on and mount them to either side of a deck post while also making my wiring runs easier. Is the conduit (at least below ground) requisite? I've read a lot of differing opinions about this with some saying you can just bury low-voltage landscaping wire (as I did for the audio) without conduit. Of course conduit will help preserve the wiring for longer but is it really necessary for, say, a five year planned usage?
Yes, low voltage cable buried for speakers is OK. No doubt someone here will complain but it's OK. If you want to bury the Cat5/6, that's OK too. Just make sure to get the burial grade Cat5/6. Burial grade is gel filled to help keep the cable dry and prevent cross talk noise etc.

Quote:
Now, at the risk of going off topic a bit...some additional research I have done (including an exchange you were involved in last year) has led me to question if I'm on the right path with a projector I may be acquiring from a Craigslist seller. I would be interested to hear any feedback on the suitability of a Mitsubishi FL7000U for my planned setup/goals.

What I am trying to do is throw an image approx. 28-30' off the back of my deck and onto a 144" screen in the backyard. This is exclusively for fair-weather movie nights (starting around sundown) for my and neighborhood kids. As such, I really have no desire or intention of putting a great deal of financial resources into this. The deal I am considering is $225 for the Mitsubishi AND a replacement lamp. This is seems like a good deal in isolation, but does it make sense for my objectives? I believe I understand all the drawbacks - potentially a bit on the bright side, contrast not going to be as good as some of the newer, more home theater focused models. But I (again) believe it is a decent fit at a "why not" price. The projector central calculator suggests it's doable. Is there any reason I should not? Put another way, are there substantial gains to be had spending a little more money on something else that is readily available on the secondary market? Additional information which may be useful: I'm looking at the VAPEX Projecto 144HD (1.1 gain) for my screen.

Again, any thoughts are appreciated, even if it is to suggest I start a new thread. Also, happy to DM you, b curry, if that is preferred (and acceptable).
The Mitsubishi FL7000U sounds like a winner to me. I'd go for it at that price. It has enough horsepower to support a larger screen down the road if you want/need to. That Mitsubishi on a 144" Vapex ProjectoScreen should look like a 144" LED TV outside at night. I think you'll be very happy provided the projector is working properly. You might want to consider the Vapex Portable Projector Table Stand as well. Call Vapex direct and they will maybe give you a bundle price for the screen and stand together, they're good to work with.

FWIW, I downsized from a 200" screen to a Vapex 144" ProjectoScreen for the ease of setup of that screen and we're very happy with it. We're showing "The Eiger Sanction" with Clint Eastwood tomorrow night.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, low voltage cable buried for speakers is OK. No doubt someone here will complain but it's OK. If you want to bury the Cat5/6, that's OK too. Just make sure to get the burial grade Cat5/6. Burial grade is gel filled to help keep the cable dry and prevent cross talk noise etc.

The Mitsubishi FL7000U sounds like a winner to me. I'd go for it at that price. It has enough horsepower to support a larger screen down the road if you want/need to. That Mitsubishi on a 144" Vapex ProjectoScreen should look like a 144" LED TV outside at night. I think you'll be very happy provided the projector is working properly. You might want to consider the Vapex Portable Projector Table Stand as well. Call Vapex direct and they will maybe give you a bundle price for the screen and stand together, they're good to work with.

FWIW, I downsized from a 200" screen to a Vapex 144" ProjectoScreen for the ease of setup of that screen and we're very happy with it. We're showing "The Eiger Sanction" with Clint Eastwood tomorrow night.
I feel bad I haven't taken the time to circle back on this so I wanted to provide you with an update now.

First off, huge thanks to b curry. Your advice was greatly appreciated and incredibly helpful.

So here is the setup I ended up with:

AVR in the basement with Chromecast. From the AVR I ran low voltage landscape lighting wire (for speakers) and HDMI over Cat 5/6 (with the Monoprice Blackbird extender) out to the deck. At the deck I terminated the HDMI in a hinged NEMA box and the low voltage landscaping wire in a volume control (OVC300) before heading out to the speakers. The deck terminations look like this:

As for the projector and screen, I ended up picking up a Panasonic PT-DZ570U on Ebay for a song (particularly given it included a Pelican case with it) and the 144" Vapex ProjectoScreen. By the way, I reached out to Vapex, per b curry's advice, and did in fact receive a bundle discount. I can't recommend Vapex enough, both for the outstanding customer service and quality, easy-to-use products.

Apologies for the low quality phones pics:

I couldn't be more pleased with how this turned out. A little bit of thought (and discussion on this forum) before building this out helped tremendously in producing a quality system that is easy to setup and use. I simply setup the projector screen, plug in the projector on my deck, and cast any movie or live tv (Youtube TV). It takes all of 15 minutes to setup and looks great. I think in the end all-in on materials (including speakers, AVR, screen, projector, cabling, etc.) the project set me back about $950. I'm happy to provide a more detailed breakdown of the cost and answer any other questions if folks stumble across this and are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180801_2044274.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	908.2 KB
ID:	2525986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180804_2037232.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	2525988  

Last edited by Astro1001; 02-15-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I feel bad I haven't taken the time to circle back on this so I wanted to provide you with an update now.

First off, huge thanks to b curry. Your advice was greatly appreciated and incredibly helpful.

So here is the setup I ended up with:

AVR in the basement with Chromecast. From the AVR I ran low voltage landscape lighting wire (for speakers) and HDMI over Cat 5/6 (with the Monoprice Blackbird extender) out to the deck. At the deck I terminated the HDMI in a hinged NEMA box and the low voltage landscaping wire in a volume control (OVC300) before heading out to the speakers. The deck terminations look like this:

As for the projector and screen, I ended up picking up a Panasonic PT-DZ570U on Ebay for a song (particularly given it included a Pelican case with it) and the 144" Vapex ProjectoScreen. By the way, I reached out to Vapex, per b curry's advice, and did in fact receive a bundle discount. I can't recommend Vapex enough, both for the outstanding customer service and quality, easy-to-use products.

Apologies for the low quality phones pics:

I couldn't be more pleased with how this turned out. A little bit of thought (and discussion on this forum) before building this out helped tremendously in producing a quality system that is easy to setup and use. I simply setup the projector screen, plug in the projector on my deck, and cast any movie or live tv (Youtube TV). It takes all of 15 minutes to setup and looks great. I think in the end all-in on materials (including speakers, AVR, screen, projector, cabling, etc.) the project set me back about $950. I'm happy to provide a more detailed breakdown of the cost and answer any other questions if folks stumble across this and are interested.
Glad that it all worked out for you! Nice clean set-up you have there, good job! Great deal on the Panasonic PT-DZ570U too!

I see form the pictures that you picked up the projector stand too, it makes setting up the projector much easier I think. Yep, the VisualApex guy's are a first class operation!

Looks like the babies in the picture are having a lot of fun!
post #17 of 17 Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad that it all worked out for you! Nice clean set-up you have there, good job! Great deal on the Panasonic PT-DZ570U too!

I see form the pictures that you picked up the projector stand too, it makes setting up the projector much easier I think. Yep, the VisualApex guy's are a first class operation!

Looks like the babies in the picture are having a lot of fun!
Thanks. Yeah, whatever it lacks in higher-end finishing the system more than makes up for in ease of setup and use. And yes, it has been a huge hit with the kiddos quickly spawning an impromptu neighborhood backyard movie series towards the end of the Summer. I can't wait to get back to it this Spring. Thanks again for all the tips and advice. I'm sure I'll be back soon to spec out a more polished fixed screen solution, but for now, this has made for some great Summer weekend nights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page