Best Projection Mapping Projector for my project - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2018, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Best Projection Mapping Projector for my project

I am wanting some advice and hope I can get some help here.

I am producing a childrens play of Charlotte's Web. I want to use projection mapping to do some special effects for the web she weaves... words in the web etc.

My plan is to create a web out of plastic wrap made into an orb web and then have a panel of projection material behind it. I would then back project an image/animation to show the word in the web.

I would like to know what would be a good projector to do this with. I have been looking for days at different projectors and just don't know what I need.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Henderson View Post
I am wanting some advice and hope I can get some help here.

I am producing a childrens play of Charlotte's Web. I want to use projection mapping to do some special effects for the web she weaves... words in the web etc.

My plan is to create a web out of plastic wrap made into an orb web and then have a panel of projection material behind it. I would then back project an image/animation to show the word in the web.

I would like to know what would be a good projector to do this with. I have been looking for days at different projectors and just don't know what I need.

Any advice?
So the web is positioned in the foreground and you want a flat projection surface in the background using rear projection? Not sure what an "orb web" is?

How much additional lighting, ambient lighting would be present on the stage?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
So the web is positioned in the foreground and you want a flat projection surface in the background using rear projection? Not sure what an "orb web" is?

How much additional lighting, ambient lighting would be present on the stage?
An Orb Web is a traditional looking spiderweb, radial with spokes.

The web it's self would be made of clear plastic wrap creating the spokes and the radius spirals, then direct behind that (no space in between) I would put a piece of back projection material.

It would have some significant ambient light on stage at certain times. Not quite sure how to validate that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think this would work?

Nebula, by Anker, Mars II 300 ANSI lm Portable Projector
post #5 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Or this?

Nebula Capsule Smart Mini Projector, by Anker, Portable 100 ANSI
post #6 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Or should I go with something like the BenQ MW814ST 2500 Lumen WXGA Short Throw 3D DLP Projector?

I just don't know if that is overkill? Or the others would not be enough.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-16-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Henderson View Post
An Orb Web is a traditional looking spiderweb, radial with spokes.

The web it's self would be made of clear plastic wrap creating the spokes and the radius spirals, then direct behind that (no space in between) I would put a piece of back projection material.

It would have some significant ambient light on stage at certain times. Not quite sure how to validate that.
Ok...

So you're not so much talking about projection mapping as you are projection with a mask on the screen. The web being the mask.

The problem is going to be the ambient stage lighting. The Nebula Mars are not going to work for you as they are simply not bright enough. They would be like trying to use a flashlight in daylight. I will assume that you're also interested in a larger image which will also require a projector with more light output.

The Benq you reference might work, again depending on the set lighting. I would look for a projector that can put out 3000 lumes or higher as a minimum. As you're projecting words, I don't think resolution is too important here. You might look at an Epson Home Cinema 660, 3300 lumens, which would be brighter than the Benq you reference. If feel you need higher resolution you could look at the Epson Home Cinema 1060 which would give you much higher resolution at the 3000 lumen brightness. Some links for you:

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...r/p/V11H847020
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...r/p/V11H849020

The LED panel projectors like Epson's are going to give you more light output than the DLP based units for the same dollar.

For back projection screen material, I would suggest Carl's Place Screens. His Gray Rear Projection Film should work well for you.

https://www.carlofet.com/projector-s...-material.html

Again, I don't know all of your particulars... I would suggest something different.

I would ask you to look at what is called a Gobo projector. A Gobo projector will work in your environment for sure. Gobo projectors use a "slide" or template placed inside or in front of a projection light source. In your case the slide could be made to project the web. An alternate slide can cross fade in to display the web and word and repeat for different words. You can use two or more Gobo projectors or a Gobo projector that has a "changer" to facilitate the changes.

Gobo effects are quite common in theatrical applications, advertising, architectural lighting, etc. and will over come or be compatible with stage lighting.

Here's a video with some examples:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page