Outdoor sub and speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor sub and speakers

I'm currently putting together my backyard. It will have a pool and 16'x16' cabana with a hip roof. While there will be a TV in the cabana my main concern for the audio is music.

I have a Mirage BPS-400 currently in use in my home theater but have been looking to replace it with a DYI 18" sub because I like projects. So the thought is to repurpose the BPS-400 to the cabana for pool duty.

However space is at a premium so my idea is to place the sub in the attic. My main question is how the sub might sound being elevated like that. I'm concerned the output may be greatly diminished or distorted.

Does it make significantly more sense to buy an underground sub? That seems to be what everyone is using outdoors.

Thoughts and suggestions on the sub as well as satellite speakers around pool area appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drchris6000 View Post
I'm currently putting together my backyard. It will have a pool and 16'x16' cabana with a hip roof. While there will be a TV in the cabana my main concern for the audio is music.

I have a Mirage BPS-400 currently in use in my home theater but have been looking to replace it with a DYI 18" sub because I like projects. So the thought is to repurpose the BPS-400 to the cabana for pool duty.

However space is at a premium so my idea is to place the sub in the attic. My main question is how the sub might sound being elevated like that. I'm concerned the output may be greatly diminished or distorted.

Does it make significantly more sense to buy an underground sub? That seems to be what everyone is using outdoors.

Thoughts and suggestions on the sub as well as satellite speakers around pool area appreciated.
Your questions remind me of "If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

There is no particular reason that mounting the subwoofer in attic would diminish the output or introduce any distortion assuming the subwoofer is in good working condition.

If your hip roof is open, not closed off/no ceiling, you will probably pick up some acoustic loading for the subwoofer at some or all frequencies produced that may increase the apparent loudness of the unit.

If the cabana construction is not solid, it's possible that you might hear some distortion or buzzing from the structure itself via sympathetic resonance.

Much of the answer to your question depends on the cabana structure itself and how you intend to mount the subwoofer. I don't see any reason to not do it and the outcome will largely depend on how you mount it. It's really no different than an array of flying speakers from the rafters of a sports arena, concert stage, etc.

The Mirage BPS-400 should give you reasonably good bass presence outdoors. Just don't expect any tactile sound pressure levels that you may have had with the unit indoors. The outdoors is/can be the perfect free field/anechoic condition for a speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page