• 1 Post By b curry
  • 2 Post By b curry

post #1 of 29 Old 02-09-2019, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor Theater

Hi all. I'm looking to set up an outdoor theater, to watch movies with my family. My backyard is 22 ft wide by 39 ft deep. I want my screen to be as big as possible and I would like a pretty nice projector. My budget for the projector is $1200 and under. I've been looking at a 200 inch screen on Amazon and the 5000 1080p lumen projectors. I'm new to this, so I have no idea where to start. Please offer as much advice as possible. Thank you in advance. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-09-2019, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Have you considered making your own screen? I have a 9'x16' outdoor screen made from billboard vinyl.
If you really want the biggest screen possible, you could go for a 9'x21' and get constant image height regardless of the aspect ratio of the movie you are viewing.

As for the projector, could you post a name specs and link to its Amazon page
post #3 of 29 Old 02-10-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

May I see pics of your screen?

I'm unable to post links on here and I'm not sure why. Would you be able to give me some information on what I should be looking for in a projector?? Lumens? Brand? Price? Specks? The projector will be used mostly outside and to play movies and video games. All I know is that I want the picture quality to be great and to be able to play the movies when the sun goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Hey FamilyFun

Here is a projector with 1080p and 3100 lumens, the Epson 1060
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...projector.html

attached is a shot of my screen and setup. I got the vinyl from billboardtarps.com, the joints/fittings to build the frame from carlofet.com, and the EMT pipe from my local big box home improvement store.

The sound system is from 3 years of scrounging old parts from upgrades, and local classifieds. My projector is an Epson Powerlite 96w a 2700 lumen WXGA projector with a native resolution of 1280x800, so about 720p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ByT Screen.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2523484  

Last edited by darknite9099; 02-10-2019 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fix typo on screen resolution
post #5 of 29 Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

This is exactly what I'm looking for!!!! The sound system doesn't even need to be this elaborate, I'm cool with just having a Bluetooth speaker, lol.

Your projector is 2700 lumens... Are you able to get a nice picture and to play your movie during dusk? What do you use to play your movies, dvr, Netflix, roku, etc? Should I also be looking for an elaborate sound system?

I don't have much storage space, so I'd like to have the least amount of equipment as possible.

BTW, thank you for your assistance.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Epson Home Cinema 3700 1080p 3LCD Home Theater Projector

What are your thoughts on this one? Would the picture quality be good on a 9x16 screen like yours?
post #7 of 29 Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyFun View Post
This is exactly what I'm looking for!!!! The sound system doesn't even need to be this elaborate, I'm cool with just having a Bluetooth speaker, lol.

Your projector is 2700 lumens... Are you able to get a nice picture and to play your movie during dusk? What do you use to play your movies, dvr, Netflix, roku, etc? Should I also be looking for an elaborate sound system?

I don't have much storage space, so I'd like to have the least amount of equipment as possible.

I usually wait until its dark before starting the movie. Seems like no matter how bright the projector, ambient light come through the screen. Dusk is the perfect time to pull burgers off the grill! 2700 lumens is bright enough for a great image even though its only 720p. When you are outdoors the company food and BIG screen are the main events. Old backyard theater pros told me even though I would notice a wrinkle or minor imperfection in the screen, my audience never would. And neither would I once the movie started. They were right! On the subject of wrinkles and folds, that was a huge advantage of the billboard tensioned to the frame with bungie ball cords; 2-3 hours in the sun before showtime and the folds come right out.

No elaborate sound system needed. Use what you have now. Started with an older 80wpc HDMI receiver with 2 Infinity SM85 speakers, ran it in stereo. The next year found another pair of SM85s on the local classifieds, got them and now have a 3 channel L/C/R front stage and 1 spare. After that came across 2) 12" subwoofers with bad internal/onboard amps $50 for the pair. Ripped out the amps, patched the holes, added binding posts ad a 300wpc PA amp and the sound system was complete.

If you want to save space, the cart is a great help. It keeps all your gear together, connected, protected, and is easy to haul around. Looked on state surplus website, found a brettford AV cart for $20. Stacked the equipment in the cart. The next year got some 10 and 4 space rack rails and attached then to the cart. Here is where it got expensive; purchased new clamping rack shelves for the receiver and blu ray player. That was $150. last year added a rack mount trip light power strip, and a drawer.

TL;DR start with what you have and enjoy! add as you go finding deals on used gear locally.

Last edited by darknite9099; 02-11-2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling error correction, changed floods to folds
post #8 of 29 Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Epson Home Cinema 3700 1080p 3LCD Home Theater Projector

What are your thoughts on this one? Would the picture quality be good on a 9x16 screen like yours?
the 3700 is only 300 lumens brighter than the 96w I use, but its 1080p so your image will be better with more pixels to fill a big screen.

The 3700 at street price is double the price of the 1060. If you could score one used the 3700 has a lens shift feature to make getting the image centered on the screen easier, and it appears to have a better lens.

Last edited by darknite9099; 02-11-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fixed spelling error
post #9 of 29 Old 02-11-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:

You really don't want to use a Bluetooth speaker. It will not, nor was it ever designed to work with video. You will have a sound/picture/lip-sync synchronization problem as Bluetooth has inherent latency with no means to synchronize with video. You can use a simple one speaker set up or Stereo, etc. But really, stay away from Blutooth. I use a 5.1 surround system.

If you're looking at a 200" screen, you might want to read through this thread to get some ideas... He has a well executed outdoor set-up with a 272" screen.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/159-o...or-screen.html

@darknite9099 has given a lot of good advice. You can put together a nice outdoor theater on a small budget by making good/careful purchases from craigslist, etc.

The Epson HC3700 and HC1060 will both do a good job with a 200" screen but I would suggest that their sweet spot is around 165" screen. The additional brightness at the smaller screen size makes for a better viewing experience. At a ≥200" screen I would push into the 4000/5000 lumen range. The HC1060 is a great value and hard to beat for the price with an outdoor set up. You're going to want a projector with 2500-3000 honest lumens.

Carl's Screens is a great place for a DIY screen. I would recommend the "FlexiWhite" material.

https://www.carlofet.com/carls-backy...-screens.html/

I use this site to determine movie starting times. Just plug in your location. You're safe starting a move at 15-20 minuets after the "End civil twilight" time. Much before that time, you simply get a washed out picture.

https://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

I use an Epson HC1040 which is more or less the same as the HC1060 projector; the HC1060 was its replacement. I down sized from a 165" Carl's screen to a 144" ProjectoScreen for some setup/tear down convenience. I've used the HC1040 up to 200" on billboard vinyl. We use Blu-ray/DVD, a media box, and a TV turner as a source.

Another good screen to look at is the Visual Apex ProjectoScreen. The ProjectoScreen's come with an aluminum frame, carrying case, etc. You can set them up in just a few minuets and they are easy to store or transport.

https://www.visualapex.com/Projector...175&Category=4

Last edited by b curry; 02-11-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. It's looking like I have some more research to do.

I was told earlier today that I should get a 5000 lumen business projector, because of the size of the screen that I'm purchasing1. They recommended a BenQ MH760 1080P DLP Business Projector, 5000 Lumens, Wireless projector. What are your thoughts on this projector?

As for my screen, I'll be getting the Carl’s FlexiWhite Standing Projector Screen Kit (16:9 | 9x16-Ft | 214-in) Outdoor Projection Screen.

I've decided against the Bluetooth speaker. I've read pretry good reviews on the
Rockville RPG122K Dual 12" Powered Speakers, so I'm thinking about getting those.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-12-2019, 06:24 AM

For a less expensive, but more labor intensive DiY screen experience, check out this website.
It details the outdoor theater build in general, and the vinyl screen in specific.

http://www.hyltoplex.com/buildstory/

The Carl's Place flex white 9'x16' screen is almost $300. If you don't mind investing a few hours of work you can come away with a great screen for 1/3 that price.

The billboard vinyl has a couple of advantages. Its UV resistant, a heavy duty material, cleans easily, and repairs easily.

A 12' x 24' vinyl piece is $40 + maybe $20 for shipping.
https://billboardtarps.com/product/1...il-0-11-sq-ft/

Add some solvent based contact cement, a 4" foam roller to apply the cement, 70 grommets, some measuring and cutting, you are good to go!
post #12 of 29 Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I was told earlier today that I should get a 5000 lumen business projector, because of the size of the screen that I'm purchasing1. They recommended a BenQ MH760 1080P DLP Business Projector, 5000 Lumens, Wireless projector. What are your thoughts on this projector?

As for my screen, I'll be getting the Carl’s FlexiWhite Standing Projector Screen Kit (16:9 | 9x16-Ft | 214-in) Outdoor Projection Screen.

I've decided against the Bluetooth speaker. I've read pretry good reviews on the
Rockville RPG122K Dual 12" Powered Speakers, so I'm thinking about getting those.
Never seen the 5000 lumen BenQ you are considering. I've used other BenQ models at work and they have been good projectors, no complaints at all. You won't regret getting the 9'x16' screen.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-12-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
For a less expensive, but more labor intensive DiY screen experience, check out this website.
It details the outdoor theater build in general, and the vinyl screen in specific.

http://www.hyltoplex.com/buildstory/

The Carl's Place flex white 9'x16' screen is almost $300. If you don't mind investing a few hours of work you can come away with a great screen for 1/3 that price.

The billboard vinyl has a couple of advantages. Its UV resistant, a heavy duty material, cleans easily, and repairs easily.

A 12' x 24' vinyl piece is $40 + maybe $20 for shipping.
https://billboardtarps.com/product/1...il-0-11-sq-ft/

Add some solvent based contact cement, a 4" foam roller to apply the cement, 70 grommets, some measuring and cutting, you are good to go!
Respectfully, I don't see billboard vinyl as having those advantages. Carl's FlexiWhite is 100% PVC vinyl same as the billboard vinyl with the key word being vinyl. Carl's makes the same claims as well using "a mildew resistant coating which is easy to clean".

I've been down both roads with white billboard vinyl and Carl's FlexiWhite and FlexiGray product. For sure billboard vinyl has a substantial cost advantage dependent on your DIY skills. Carl's finished edge is really good; an added double layer of black vinyl machine stitched to the screen material. The material is quite heavy and the backside is blacked out, no rear light shining through. The grommets are mounted via template/jig and are evenly spaced/aligned for bungee tension mounting to the screen frame and the avoidance of any screen wrinkles. The FlexiWhite material also has a 1.1 screen gain over the billboard vinyl.

If you add the construction cost of Carl's vinyl boarders to the billboard vinyl the end cost is not so different. Carl's offers an excellent screen value for the money IMHO. But if you're DIY handy, want to pocket the difference, and screen gain is not of value to you, billboard vinyl is the way to go
darknite9099 likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-12-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

From a technology standpoint, I'm a big fan of DLP projectors. Our indoor theater uses a rather expensive DLP unit.

But, you have to be careful. DLP's do not produce the stated value in lumens in actual use. The 5000 lumen value is based on white light output and not a color, viewing image. In reality, the measurable output for a DLP will be around ~70% or less of the stated lumen value and something less again as the lamp ages. So expect something like ~3000 lumens, new out of the box.

The Epson's LCD panel technology will typically produce the stated lumen value with both a white light and color display. I would suggest that you read some performance reviews for the given projectors that you might consider with attention to the brightness mode and color lumens actually available in use.

All things equal, there will be a substantial difference in picture brightness when comparing a 5000 lumen Benq to a 5000 lumen Epson.

EDIT: With your budget and screen size, take a look at the Epson HC1450. It's a 4200 lumen unit and will be brighter than the 5000 lumen Benq suggested.

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...r/p/V11H836020

Last edited by b curry; 02-12-2019 at 09:06 AM.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Respectfully, I don't see billboard vinyl as having those advantages. Carl's FlexiWhite is 100% PVC vinyl same as the billboard vinyl with the key word being vinyl. Carl's makes the same claims as well using "a mildew resistant coating which is easy to clean".

I've been down both roads with white billboard vinyl and Carl's FlexiWhite and FlexiGray product. For sure billboard vinyl has a substantial cost advantage dependent on your DIY skills. Carl's finished edge is really good; an added double layer of black vinyl machine stitched to the screen material. The material is quite heavy and the backside is blacked out, no rear light shining through. The grommets are mounted via template/jig and are evenly spaced/aligned for bungee tension mounting to the screen frame and the avoidance of any screen wrinkles. The FlexiWhite material also has a 1.1 screen gain over the billboard vinyl.

If you add the construction cost of Carl's vinyl boarders to the billboard vinyl the end cost is not so different. Carl's offers an excellent screen value for the money IMHO. But if you're DIY handy, want to pocket the difference, and screen gain is not of value to you, billboard vinyl is the way to go
Agreed, Carl's Place has awesome products, and if you don't want to futz around and have the hassle of trying to make your own, their finished edge screens are fantastic!

So FamilyFun, in post 10 you said you were looking at the 9'x16' flex white standing kit. Thats the fittings and screen right? That would be an great way to hit the ground running with way less prep time than building the screen from scratch.
post #16 of 29 Old 02-12-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

b curry Tha KS for the information. I'll do more reading. One thing is that I read that DLP projectors were better than LCD projectors. Honestly, there are wat to many to chose from. All I know is that I want the movies to have the best picture possible for my budget. I'm not sure if I would want to spend 1.2k on an LCD projector, when I've read that DLP projectors are better. Can you think of any other dlp projectors that would give the best possible image on a 200 inch screen? I checked out the Epson lcd one you recommended, but there aren't many reviews on it.
post #17 of 29 Old 02-12-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Darknite, I'm handy, but I'd rather just purchase a ready made screen. Tha KS for the suggestion, though.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-12-2019, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

B curry, what are your thoughts on this projector: Optoma X600 XGA 6000 Lumen Full 3D DLP Network Projector with HDMI

It's a DLP and has 6000 lumens, and since you say that DLP's only reapply use around 70% of their lumen's, this one will put out about 4200 lumens, give or take a few. It also has pretty great reviews on Amazon
post #19 of 29 Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
b curry Tha KS for the information. I'll do more reading. One thing is that I read that DLP projectors were better than LCD projectors. Honestly, there are wat to many to chose from. All I know is that I want the movies to have the best picture possible for my budget. I'm not sure if I would want to spend 1.2k on an LCD projector, when I've read that DLP projectors are better. Can you think of any other dlp projectors that would give the best possible image on a 200 inch screen? I checked out the Epson lcd one you recommended, but there aren't many reviews on it.
Well, I was trying to think of a way to answer without coming off as a condescending ass so please don't take offence but, you've champagne and cavier wishes in mind with a Diet Pepsi budget.

A 200" screen is a lot of screen, ~144 square feet. That's a lot of area to light up. A DLP that will do as good a job as an Epson LED at your price point is easily going to cost 2-3 times more and it is still really an entry level unit with a lot of compromises.

Most good quality DLP's that will light up a 200" screen with a good quality image will be in the 5-6 figure range bought new. I have a DLP with a screen ~65% the size of what you want and the lens alone was ~7 times more than your projector budget.

Business class projectors use a white or clear color wheel segment to boost the brightness/lumen value. This can be ok with a power point slide show and even viewing a movie but it will sacrifice color accuracy, color saturation, as well as black levels and contrast.

So yes, I can point you to some DLP's but not with good conscience in your price range.

Quote:
B curry, what are your thoughts on this projector: Optoma X600 XGA 6000 Lumen Full 3D DLP Network Projector with HDMI

It's a DLP and has 6000 lumens, and since you say that DLP's only reapply use around 70% of their lumen's, this one will put out about 4200 lumens, give or take a few. It also has pretty great reviews on Amazon
This is a good example of what I would not buy unless I came across a new open box for $100-$200 and I didn't care that much about picture quality on a 200" screen.

This is a business class projector. It has an XGA or 1024 x 768 - 4:3 resolution/aspect ratio. It will display a 16:9 aspect image albeit re-scaled which is an necessary compromise at this point in time IMHO; in other words not the best picture when displayed at 200". Contrast ratio is listed at 10,000:1 and since it's a DLP it will be something much less with a color image displayed.

Most of the reviews on Amazon for this unit are in business use or church auditorium where critical viewing exceptions are generally low.

Below are photographs of an Epson G7500U using a 272" Carl's Flexiwhite screen projected outside/backyard. Compare these picture to the Amazon review pictures for the Optima X600.

This projector is over your budget at ~$3000 refurbished direct from Epson. It's an LED. The Epson HC1450 will get you closer to this quality image on a 200" screen than the Optima X600 will.

Thanks to @elmalloc for the use of his pictures.

elmalloc and FamilyFun like this.

Last edited by b curry; 02-13-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, I don't mind you telling me like it is. I appreciate all of your help and honesty. I've always had caviar dreams with a chitterling budget, LMFAO. Honestly, the 200 inch is way too big for my backyard. That said, I'm willing to sacrifice screen size for a better quality picture that fits my budget. So my backyard is 22 ft wide by 39 ft deep. The 200 inch screen is 9 ft tall by 16 ft wide, which is huge. Would it be better if I dropped down to a 165 inch screen? If so, would I get a better quality Pic like the second Pic that you showed above with a projector that's in my price range? I would go down to the 131 inch screen, but I like the wide screens, and this one isn't that wide, but if I have to go to that size to get the best quality picture for my budget, then I will reluctantly. Thanks again!!!
post #21 of 29 Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, I don't mind you telling me like it is. I appreciate all of your help and honesty. I've always had caviar dreams with a chitterling budget, LMFAO. Honestly, the 200 inch is way too big for my backyard. That said, I'm willing to sacrifice screen size for a better quality picture that fits my budget. So my backyard is 22 ft wide by 39 ft deep. The 200 inch screen is 9 ft tall by 16 ft wide, which is huge. Would it be better if I dropped down to a 165 inch screen? If so, would I get a better quality Pic like the second Pic that you showed above with a projector that's in my price range? I would go down to the 131 inch screen, but I like the wide screens, and this one isn't that wide, but if I have to go to that size to get the best quality picture for my budget, then I will reluctantly. Thanks again!!!

It's not my intention to discourage you from setting up a 200" screen. The Epson HC1450 will do a great job for you and is at your budget price. The Epson HC3700 and HC2150, and HC1060 will also do a good job for you but will be not quite as bright. I'm not sure what your obversion to LED units is but the modern LED that Epson builds puts out a great picture at the lower price points.

If you drop to a 165" screen size it does open up more projector possibilities for you, especially for DLP.

For DLP units, there are basically two manufactures that build/supply the light engines that the various brand names build their projectors around. The various brand names differentiate their price points with various proprietary features. At the lower end of the price range or target market, DLP's tend to be more alike than different. You'll want to look for a unit that supports 1080P, 16:9 aspect, uses a 6 segment RGBRGB color wheel, and has something around 3000-4000 lumens. Most anything that fits those features should work well on a 165" screen. The usual suspects are Benq, Optoma, Vivitek, ViewSonic, Panasonic, etc.

With a 165" screen the Epson HC1060 will do a great for you with an added bonus with regards to your total cost outlay. An HC1060 on sale along with a Carl's 165" FlexiWhite freestanding screen kit will cost ~$800-$850. So you would still have a good part of your projector budget left over to put towards a sound system.

The Epson HC3700 would be a step up in contrast and black level performance over the HC1060 with a small sacrifice with regards to brightness The HC3700 also adds a lot of nice setup features like lens shift.

The Epson HC2050 kind of splits the difference between the HC3700 and the HC1060. The HC2050 will offer the same brightness as the HC3700 and better black levels/contrast than the HC1060 but not as good as the HC3700. The HC2050 also offers lens shift.

The HC1060 is going to give you the brightest image.

FWIW, I started our backyard theater using an Epson HC1040. The HC1060 replace the HC1040 last year. They are basically the same projectors. We started out with a 200" screen but wanted a little more brightness and to be honest 200" was a little overpowering for us. We downsized to a Carl's 165". That was a great size and we liked everything about it except the time it takes to put it up and take it down. So, we down sized to a VisualApex ProjectoScreen at 144". The VisualApex screen offers the same quality screen material as Carl's but setup and take down takes about 10 minuets.
post #22 of 29 Old 02-14-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I've always known that a 200 inch screen was too big for my backyard, but I didn't care until I realized that I couldn't get the best quality picture, with my budget. I've done some reading on all of these projectors that you've suggested, but I'm having a really hard time choosing one. I feel like the more expensive the projector, the better the picture quality will be. Am I right to think that? Also, the lumens on all of the projectors you've spoke about seem to be pretty low for outdoor viewing.

Honestly, I'm stuck on Tha picture that you showed me of the purple alien, in one of your previous posts. The quality of that picture is AMAZING, but I can't afford the $4k projector. You say that the hc1450 would be the one that would get me the closest to the quality of that picture on a 165 inch screen?? If so, I'll go with that one.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've always known that a 200 inch screen was too big for my backyard, but I didn't care until I realized that I couldn't get the best quality picture, with my budget. I've done some reading on all of these projectors that you've suggested, but I'm having a really hard time choosing one. I feel like the more expensive the projector, the better the picture quality will be. Am I right to think that? Also, the lumens on all of the projectors you've spoke about seem to be pretty low for outdoor viewing.

Honestly, I'm stuck on Tha picture that you showed me of the purple alien, in one of your previous posts. The quality of that picture is AMAZING, but I can't afford the $4k projector. You say that the hc1450 would be the one that would get me the closest to the quality of that picture on a 165 inch screen?? If so, I'll go with that one.
Lumens is one part of the equation. What your actually concerned with is something called Foot Lamberts. Foot Lamberts is the reflected light from the screen surface, the light the eyes see. Foot Lamberts are a product of the projectors usable lumens, screen area, and screen gain. The formula is screen area in sq. ft / projector lumens X screen gain = foot lamberts.

Your local commercial theater is calibrated to display ~16 ftL. All four Epson's will produce in excess of 16 ftL on a 165" screen.

No, I suggested the HC1450 for the 200" screen because of the screen size. The HC3700 will produce the best picture on the 165" screen with better black levels and contrast.

The other three Epson's will be very close but differing in +/- brightness and lower contrast or brightness levels.

The HC3700 will get you closest to the purple guy on a 165" screen.

Here's a picture of the what the Epson HC1060 would look like on a 165" screen outdoors.

post #24 of 29 Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Wow.... I just read and watched several reviews on the HC3790 and I'm amazed. Ife decided on this projector. I saw a review on YouTube where a guy had a really nice picture, but he stated that he painted his screen Grey. That said, would you still recommend the flex white Carl's projector screen? Also, what are your thoughts on a soundbar, instead of actual speakers? I'm like to save as much space as possible, now that I'm willing to downsize my screen.

I find it hilarious that when I first started researching, I wanted a 350 inch screen, but there was no way that I could pull that off, lol.

Thank you so much for the wealth of information you've given me. I greatly appreciate it.
post #25 of 29 Old 02-15-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow.... I just read and watched several reviews on the HC3790 and I'm amazed. Ife decided on this projector. I saw a review on YouTube where a guy had a really nice picture, but he stated that he painted his screen Grey. That said, would you still recommend the flex white Carl's projector screen? Also, what are your thoughts on a soundbar, instead of actual speakers? I'm like to save as much space as possible, now that I'm willing to downsize my screen.

I find it hilarious that when I first started researching, I wanted a 350 inch screen, but there was no way that I could pull that off, lol.

Thank you so much for the wealth of information you've given me. I greatly appreciate it.

No, there is no practical benefit in using a gray screen with that projector outdoors. Carl's FlexiWhite is going to give you a wider viewing cone/off axis.

No, I would not use a soundbar. It's too directional and will get lost out side. If it's all you have, that's another story. You can pick up some great used stuff from garage sales, etc. that will do a better job.

If you want to keep it simple, you can use something like this... It's $166 from Monoprice. You'll need an HDMI audio extractor for a Bluray player and down mix to stereo output to feed the speaker/amplifier.

J-Tech makes a very good audio extractor.

https://www.jtechdigital.com/j-tech-...tra-hd-4k.html

post #26 of 29 Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

So, I'll be purchasing the Carl's 165 inch screen (cheaper on Carl's website) and the Epson HC3700 projector (cheaper on Amazon with 4 year waranty). For the screen, I will get the one where you can build the stand. That way, I will be able to have the option of hanging the screen from my house of have it freestanding in my yard using the stand. Now, I need to research the audio aspect of having an outdoor theater, as I know nothing about audio visual, lol. Because of that, I would definitely like to keep it simple. Can you provide the link to the speakers from monoprice?
post #27 of 29 Old 02-15-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I'll be purchasing the Carl's 165 inch screen (cheaper on Carl's website) and the Epson HC3700 projector (cheaper on Amazon with 4 year waranty). For the screen, I will get the one where you can build the stand. That way, I will be able to have the option of hanging the screen from my house of have it freestanding in my yard using the stand. Now, I need to research the audio aspect of having an outdoor theater, as I know nothing about audio visual, lol. Because of that, I would definitely like to keep it simple. Can you provide the link to the speakers from monoprice?
Google can be your friend, just Google Monoprice...

Or here it is...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=604355

Might as well pick up some speaker stands while your at it:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=602350

post #28 of 29 Old 02-15-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I actually had my eyes on this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9K72U9P2&psc=1

It seems to have very good reviews for use with outdoor cinema.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-14-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Family main setup:
Pioneer Elite SC LX502/BDP Pioneer Elite 85FD/Logitech Touch
Pioneer Elite N50/Cassette Pioneer M66R/
Panamax M5300 EX/TV Vizo UHD P55-E1

Last edited by recoveryone; 04-27-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page