Suggestions For Hanging A Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Suggestions For Hanging A Screen

Hey everyone. So, Im setting up by backyard theater and I need suggestions on how to hang my screen. I purchased the 165 inch Carl's DIY Hanging Projector Screen Kit (Outdoor Projection Screen, Portable Projection Screen) and I'm trying to figure out how I should hang it. The poles that the kit suggests are those 1 inch EMT pipes, so I'm assuming that I will need some kind of hooks that will hold a 1 inch pipe. Im going to assume that the screen is between 60 and 80 pounds when its fully assembled. The ideal spot to hang my screen is on the back of my 90 year old brick house. The problem is that I don't want to drill into my bricks, however, I have no problem with drilling into the stuff that's in between the bricks.

Please help me with some suggestions and ideas that you may have. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-01-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyFun View Post
Hey everyone. So, Im setting up by backyard theater and I need suggestions on how to hang my screen. I purchased the 165 inch Carl's DIY Hanging Projector Screen Kit (Outdoor Projection Screen, Portable Projection Screen) and I'm trying to figure out how I should hang it. The poles that the kit suggests are those 1 inch EMT pipes, so I'm assuming that I will need some kind of hooks that will hold a 1 inch pipe. Im going to assume that the screen is between 60 and 80 pounds when its fully assembled. The ideal spot to hang my screen is on the back of my 90 year old brick house. The problem is that I don't want to drill into my bricks, however, I have no problem with drilling into the stuff that's in between the bricks.

Please help me with some suggestions and ideas that you may have. Thanks in advance.
I don't have anything to offer here other than to say the Outdoor Theater Threads must be dead. I posted something after your post and no hits. I did some searching and found out some things about mine, but still not very helpful and would like to get a conversation going on mine. I hope someone bites on yours too.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-18-2019, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyFun View Post

I would keep the screen away from the brick which may cause reflections to bounce light back onto the screen. If you can, consider setting up two poles to hold your screen. Either set them in place with concrete footings (you can set a socket into the permanent footing if you want them removable), or use a concrete pier and guy wires.

I built mine out of unistrut, not emt, but the principle is the same. For the posts I used a concrete pier as a base for each upright (I cannot link yet per forum rules, otherwise I'd have examples for you.)

To which you would attach a unistrut base plate. You can get them on Amazon

Get a 10' stick of 14g 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" strut from Lowes to bolt into the base

Then use a 1" pipe clamp/hanger with a 3/8" strut nutplate to clamp the emt frame parallel to the unistrut post

Get some steel cable to create 2 guy wires to run from the top of each post to tent stakes for lateral stability. At ten feet you'd want 24' guy wires. I got mine from Harbor Freight. They also sell 6" black ball end bungie loops like the ones in your kit.

It looks like a lot, but it is all fairly simple if you have the space for it. I can send pics if you are interested in learning more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page