Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-22-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 221
High Humidity Areas

Last summer, when I had my first outdoor movie using my older PJ, the case was very wet due to the Humidity. Same for my receiver and BD player as well. How do people combat this as to not ruin their gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Last summer, when I had my first outdoor movie using my older PJ, the case was very wet due to the Humidity. Same for my receiver and BD player as well. How do people combat this as to not ruin their gear?
Well then, I'll bite...

Honestly, I've been in West Virginia a lot, my father was from there and not too far from Charleston. I also went to UK in Lexington, KY and the climate there is not so different from Charleston, it's just the other side of the hills. I've never seen or heard of the kind of humidity you're describing that would wet equipment while in use.

Just for the fun of it, I looked up the average humidity readings for Charleston, Lexington, and where I live now in Michigan. The average readings are 70%, 79%, and 71% respectively for the summer months. So Charleston is not really different based on recorded averages than where I live in Michigan.

Did you leave the equipment out over night or something?

I have my electronics, Blu-ray player, media player, and AVR, mounted in a 6U portable rack case. The projector is set up on a Visual Apex Portable Projector Stand.
The heat generated when the units are powered on generally keep them dry if there is any noticeable humidity condensation. All of the equipment is set up open air. Heck, we've set up the projector and screen on the pond here, in the snow, and had movies while we ice skate and its not a problem.

So maybe you can give some more detail as to how you're using your stuff. Maybe you need to build an enclosed area or something.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Well then, I'll bite...

Honestly, I've been in West Virginia a lot, my father was from there and not too far from Charleston. I also went to UK in Lexington, KY and the climate there is not so different from Charleston, it's just the other side of the hills. I've never seen or heard of the kind of humidity you're describing that would wet equipment while in use.

Just for the fun of it, I looked up the average humidity readings for Charleston, Lexington, and where I live now in Michigan. The average readings are 70%, 79%, and 71% respectively for the summer months. So Charleston is not really different based on recorded averages than where I live in Michigan.

Did you leave the equipment out over night or something?

I have my electronics, Blu-ray player, media player, and AVR, mounted in a 6U portable rack case. The projector is set up on a Visual Apex Portable Projector Stand.
The heat generated when the units are powered on generally keep them dry if there is any noticeable humidity condensation. All of the equipment is set up open air. Heck, we've set up the projector and screen on the pond here, in the snow, and had movies while we ice skate and its not a problem.

So maybe you can give some more detail as to how you're using your stuff. Maybe you need to build an enclosed area or something.
My equipment was lying loose in the open on tables and wooden bench chairs. Whatever I had to get them off the ground. So, not encased in anything, which is what I was wondering....if that would help.

I've lived here almost my entire life, and I'm not a spring chicken, and believe me, it's quite humid in the Summer. We have days of 90% with a high dew point. Walking outside for 15 minutes and your shirt is soaking wet. My BD player, Receiver and Projector were all wet on top. The lens of the Projector were also wet. Oh...and before you ask, no, it wasn't raining. Just like how our cars are soaking wet at night time in the summer. Humidity levels are typically higher at nighttime too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
My equipment was lying loose in the open on tables and wooden bench chairs. Whatever I had to get them off the ground. So, not encased in anything, which is what I was wondering....if that would help.

I've lived here almost my entire life, and I'm not a spring chicken, and believe me, it's quite humid in the Summer. We have days of 90% with a high dew point. Walking outside for 15 minutes and your shirt is soaking wet. My BD player, Receiver and Projector were all wet on top. The lens of the Projector were also wet. Oh...and before you ask, no, it wasn't raining. Just like how our cars are soaking wet at night time in the summer. Humidity levels are typically higher at nighttime too.
My father was from Hacker Lick Run just above Webster Springs, about 100 miles east of Charleston. I do know the area and have spent time there. Just never experienced humidity that would wet down electrical equipment while using it.

I have nothing to offer other than to put the equipment in a shed or some type of enclosure and if it's outside I don't know how that would really help. Sounds like you're better off staying indoors.

FWIW, here's what I have my electronics mounted in. But I don't see how it would be of any help with what you're describing. Good luck.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
My father was from Hacker Lick Run just above Webster Springs, about 100 miles east of Charleston. I do know the area and have spent time there. Just never experienced humidity that would wet down electrical equipment while using it.

I have nothing to offer other than to put the equipment in a shed or some type of enclosure and if it's outside I don't know how that would really help. Sounds like you're better off staying indoors.

FWIW, here's what I have my electronics mounted in. But I don't see how it would be of any help with what you're describing. Good luck.
Thanks for the input and the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page