Dual projector screens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-17-2019, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dual projector screens

I was looking on a main st the elite screens yardmaster 2, but the dual projection one. Is there any downsides to this option. I just like the idea of being able to do rear projections when possible so that the projector is out of the way when possible. And in some instances be able to project to the front.

Anyone have experience with these? Any pros or cons? I’m looking to pair this with a 700-800 dollar projector like a th681st or a ht215pst. I want to be able to take the projector to friends houses or put up in the living room every now and then but also use it in a bedroom to watch movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-18-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric310 View Post
I was looking on a main st the elite screens yardmaster 2, but the dual projection one. Is there any downsides to this option. I just like the idea of being able to do rear projections when possible so that the projector is out of the way when possible. And in some instances be able to project to the front.

Anyone have experience with these? Any pros or cons? I’m looking to pair this with a 700-800 dollar projector like a th681st or a ht215pst. I want to be able to take the projector to friends houses or put up in the living room every now and then but also use it in a bedroom to watch movies.

In general rear projection screens have lower gain and a narrower viewing angle. The WraithVeil Dual screen material from Elite screens is no different with a 0.8 gain and 75° half gain angle.

With rear projection screens, there is a propensity to hot-spot the screen for viewers seated on axis, directly in front of the screen, or in line with the projector.

Rear projection outdoors can be a problem with the moon or bright street lights or any light coming from a house, etc. shining through the screen material from behind as well as casting shadows on the screen. Generally, rear projection is best where any light from behind the screen can be controlled.

The lower screen gain maybe a disadvantage with regards to screen illumination, brightness, depending on the projectors lumen output and screen size.

Projector throw distance stays the same for rear projection so you need the same amount of room behind the screen as you would have for front projection, net-net, you do not save any space and may lessen the seating area size using rear projection in a fixed size area.

Your projector needs to support rear projection, otherwise, the image will be reversed i.e. left to right vs. right to left.

Using rear projection material works for front projection. But again, you will have lower screen gain as well as light bleeding through the material which will light up anything behind the screen.

You might also take a look at VisualApex's ProjectoScreen. They sell what is essentially the same screen. It comes with a 1.1 gain front projection material with the option to buy rear projection material as an add-on so it covers both situations.

https://visualapexscreens.com/collections/all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page