Outdoor set up under covered patio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-24-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Outdoor set up under covered patio

Not sure if this is the right page to request advice so feel free to move it. I am building a covered patio, approximately 25' X 25'. I am planning on a flat screen TV above the fireplace (mantle will be above the fireplace to keep heat down) and will need speakers for the TV as I am sure the TV speakers are junk. I currently have speakers already outside that are directly wired to my whole home audio (Speakercraft MZC-66) which is located in the basement and connected to a Denon Heos player and Denon amp that runs my basement home theater. I want to be able to listen to the sound from the TV as well as stream audio from Pandora and Sirius. I think the easy thing would probably to use a smart soundbar such the Denon Heos, or I am possibly considering moving away from HEO and to Sonos all together which would allow me to use the Playbar or the Beam. Because this is all being built I can do whatever I want such as wire in ceiling speakers and such. I can also just keep the outdoor speakers tied to the Speakercraft for streaming, and have the TV audio completely separate. What should I do:

1.) Keep the streaming music on the speakercraft speakers separate from the TV speakers and use a Bluetooth speaker?
2.) Merge the two using a separate receiver located inside and use my phone to manage the connections (would require a lot of back and forth wiring
3.) Use a smart sound bar for all of the above
4.) Do something completely different

On a similar note, I will have a weather proof cabinet installed in my outdoor kitchen space where I could wire everything to but do you think even in a weather proof cabinet it will be ok? The TV area where I would potentially put my sound bar would be protected from Rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-29-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by drballard33 View Post
Not sure if this is the right page to request advice so feel free to move it. I am building a covered patio, approximately 25' X 25'. I am planning on a flat screen TV above the fireplace (mantle will be above the fireplace to keep heat down) and will need speakers for the TV as I am sure the TV speakers are junk. I currently have speakers already outside that are directly wired to my whole home audio (Speakercraft MZC-66) which is located in the basement and connected to a Denon Heos player and Denon amp that runs my basement home theater. I want to be able to listen to the sound from the TV as well as stream audio from Pandora and Sirius. I think the easy thing would probably to use a smart soundbar such the Denon Heos, or I am possibly considering moving away from HEO and to Sonos all together which would allow me to use the Playbar or the Beam. Because this is all being built I can do whatever I want such as wire in ceiling speakers and such. I can also just keep the outdoor speakers tied to the Speakercraft for streaming, and have the TV audio completely separate. What should I do:

1.) Keep the streaming music on the speakercraft speakers separate from the TV speakers and use a Bluetooth speaker?
2.) Merge the two using a separate receiver located inside and use my phone to manage the connections (would require a lot of back and forth wiring
3.) Use a smart sound bar for all of the above
4.) Do something completely different

On a similar note, I will have a weather proof cabinet installed in my outdoor kitchen space where I could wire everything to but do you think even in a weather proof cabinet it will be ok? The TV area where I would potentially put my sound bar would be protected from Rain.
We finished a nightmare of a covered patio project last year and the thing we enjoy the most about it now is the audio and video capabilities. I really like the in-ceiling speakers. It has a clean look and the bass sounds great (I think because of the placement between the joists). We do sometimes bring out the soundbar that comes with a sub for a little more punch but mostly for movies. We ran speaker wires everywhere just in case we wanted more later and we also ran CAT5 to multiple locations as our wifi isn't reliable all the time. My wife prefers wired to wireless anything because she feels like wireless can and will fail but wired failures rarely occur. I opted for a multi-amp setup and an audio distribution amp so I can run all audio while playing a movie to all the amps or I can choose to only run one amp for the movie audio and music to all other areas. I don't know if I would choose this route if I could do it over again as there may be something better but I haven't had any real problems with my setup. I think you should be fine with a weather proof cabinet. My A/V equipment is under the stairs in covered patio. It is enclosed and we haven't had any issues.

Good luck with your project.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2019, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Buy another Denon Heos enabled product, and use the speakers you have or install in the ceiling. I think some of the outdoor TV's come with a soundbar too, that you could run to the Denon for music at some point. Sounds easist to me. If you want a sub then, you can add it too without problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page