Need assistance with screen build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-2019, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need assistance with screen build

I'm hosting a wrap party for an indie feature film we shot last year on my deck, and I just got a projector and one of those cheapo 120" screens from ebay. The ones with the black border/grommets. It's made of some kind of canvas like material, and it has wrinkles and it seems that just because of how it is made, there's literally no way to get them out.. so I started researching how to just BUILD one myself with blackout cloth.

I've decided, since I only have a week to do this I need to be able to source the materials locally, so I found blackout cloth at Joann. and I can get the rest of the materials at Home Depot/Lowes.

I also want to be able to just use this in general after this is over.

The screen I have from ebay is 120", the viewable area is 56" tall and about 100" wide. There's a 3" black border where the grommets are.

So my question is.. if I'm using 54" blackout cloth.. can I just make a 54" tall screen that is 96" wide? Do I need the black border and if so how do I calculate the size of my frame if I'm going to lose some of my viewable area? What can I use for the black border that I can source locally?

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-03-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Lavender View Post
I'm hosting a wrap party for an indie feature film we shot last year on my deck, and I just got a projector and one of those cheapo 120" screens from ebay. The ones with the black border/grommets. It's made of some kind of canvas like material, and it has wrinkles and it seems that just because of how it is made, there's literally no way to get them out.. so I started researching how to just BUILD one myself with blackout cloth.

I've decided, since I only have a week to do this I need to be able to source the materials locally, so I found blackout cloth at Joann. and I can get the rest of the materials at Home Depot/Lowes.

I also want to be able to just use this in general after this is over.

The screen I have from ebay is 120", the viewable area is 56" tall and about 100" wide. There's a 3" black border where the grommets are.

So my question is.. if I'm using 54" blackout cloth.. can I just make a 54" tall screen that is 96" wide? Do I need the black border and if so how do I calculate the size of my frame if I'm going to lose some of my viewable area? What can I use for the black border that I can source locally?

Any help is appreciated!

I would suggest that you buy one of these. They can get it to you in 3 days and it's good quality and well made.

https://visualapexscreens.com/produc...ojector-screen

Otherwise here's some DIY videos:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page