Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-06-2020, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Backyard Setup Advise

Hello Everyone! Newbie here so please go easy on me

My wife and I would like some advise on what you would do in our situation.

Budget - $1,500

Needs - Projector, Screen, Speakers

Uses - We will be using this setup in our backyard 3-4 times a year (Super Bowl Party, Kids Birthdays, Family Movie Night, Other sporting events)

We will probably be using a forward facing projector but would like the screen to have the capability to do rear as well.

My Thoughts - I've looked around at projectors and like the Optoma UHD50. I feel that getting a 4k projector is important b/c this will probably be the one and only projector I buy in my life, or alteast for the next 20 years or so. I'm open to opinions on this, I also saw the ViewSonic PX727 but have read some negative feedback about Viewsonic projectors.

I'm thinking about building my own screen to save money. I'd like to have atleast a 140 in. screen as I've read this is the optimal size for the type of projectors I'm considering.

Questions
Considering my $1,500 budget
-What projector would you recommend?
-What speakers would you recommend?
-What screen would you recommend and size? If you recommend building your own, any plans or videos you recommend watching for a proven great design of screen? Also, any recommended specific screen material if you recommend the DIY route.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-06-2020, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by td0703 View Post
Hello Everyone! Newbie here so please go easy on me

My wife and I would like some advise on what you would do in our situation.

Budget - $1,500

Needs - Projector, Screen, Speakers

Uses - We will be using this setup in our backyard 3-4 times a year (Super Bowl Party, Kids Birthdays, Family Movie Night, Other sporting events)

We will probably be using a forward facing projector but would like the screen to have the capability to do rear as well.

My Thoughts - I've looked around at projectors and like the Optoma UHD50. I feel that getting a 4k projector is important b/c this will probably be the one and only projector I buy in my life, or alteast for the next 20 years or so. I'm open to opinions on this, I also saw the ViewSonic PX727 but have read some negative feedback about Viewsonic projectors.

I'm thinking about building my own screen to save money. I'd like to have atleast a 140 in. screen as I've read this is the optimal size for the type of projectors I'm considering.

Questions
Considering my $1,500 budget
-What projector would you recommend?
-What speakers would you recommend?
-What screen would you recommend and size? If you recommend building your own, any plans or videos you recommend watching for a proven great design of screen? Also, any recommended specific screen material if you recommend the DIY route.

Thanks in advance!

Your budget is a little low considering the projectors that you're interested in as they seem to be in the $1000-$1300 range.

The screens I would suggest are in the $250-$300 range.

The VisualApex 144" is good quality and easy to put up and take down screen. Price is $260.00 plus shipping.
https://visualapexscreens.com/collec...ojector-screen

Carl's Place is more diy. It's $150 for screen material - 139". Another ~ $150.00 for screen frame fittings and bungees plus shipping. You will need to buy 1" EMT tubing from HomeDepot etc. to finish the frame.
https://www.carlofet.com/shop/standi...n-screen-kits?

You can also use a tarp, used billboard material, etc. and maybe get by a little cheaper but the Carl's Place and VisualApex screens are hard to beat for quality and price.

Speakers, amplifier, and source. You need to decide what you want. Stereo mix-down 2 channel, 5.1 surround, etc. Will you use DVD/Blu-ray, media box, computer, etc?

If you look at used speakers and amplifiers from Craigslist etc., I would figure on around $200 as a minimum if you find some bargains. Buying new for 5.1, figure around $700 and up. A simple 2 channel PA type setup for around $150 and up.

Then you need your source, DVD, etc.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply B Curry!

Definitely understand the budget is low considering the projector I'm looking at is $1,200 but my thought was it will be future proof to a degree in that its 4k.

Anyone have experience with this screen? https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Out.../dp/B00CA370DA - Looks a bit cheaper at $200.

For speakers, I'm thinking about going the 2 PA Speaker route. I've seen a few on Craigslist, FB Marketplace that looks reasonable for $200ish.

I'm planning to use a mix of apple tv, laptop, and blu ray player.

Anyone have experience with the Optoma UHD50 or ViewSonic PX727 or any other 4k projector in this price range they would recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-07-2020, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 391
If I was planning an outdoor theater I would be more concerned about adequate projector brightness over resolution especially when considering such a large screen. Your projector may not be usable until it is very dark otherwise. Take a look at some projectors like these with 4000+ lumens before you make a decision https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...gQIFRBA&adurl= and https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...EaAvYoEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 02-07-2020, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I just picked up a used Christie HD405, 4100 lumens, 1080p, terrific long throw lens, 2 lamps with under 150 hours, under 1K hours on projector, for 399. This is a 13 year old professional grade projector that punches way above its price. If you are doing this just a few times a year I would consider starting with something like this. I've used a 2900 lumen variant in my main theater for the last 5 years or so, no issues other than new bulbs ($200). IMHO, at the distances people will likely be sitting for outdoor events, 4k is not necessary. Quality optics and lumens are more important.

For speakers, cheap PA speakers are your best bet. Cheap 100ft 12g extension cords make great speaker wires. Your biggest issue will be some type of subwoofer. I occasionally see matched sets of subwoofers and PA speakers. The alternative, if you are handy and have some storage space, are diy subwoofers made with the PA460 drivers. They will dig into the 30s at pretty high spl. 4 of them on sale is $400 plus wood. If you are patient and careful you can do 1500 with subwoofers. Don't underestimate the importance of audio. We have 50 people in a 24'x48 space watching the super bowl. Audio levels were much higher than normal movie levels due to all of the noise generated by 50 people talking. When the halftime show came on the chorus of "turn it up" was heard. We did the 12 minutes or so at levels way greater than I like. I moved the neighbor kids out of the front row, the rest of us boomers can't hear anyhow, so...
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you USC and gil!

That makes sense about considering the brightness and resolution.

Still makes me a little nervous about not going 4k as the movies in 4k just looks amazing!

In terms of screen size, do you feel 140 in is too large? I know its all a matter of opinion. I'm confident most of my viewers will be between 10-20 ft from the screen but I guess I can just put chairs wherever is optimal in terms of seating distance from the screen. I just read on the Optoma UHD50 description on Amazon it said 140 in was the optimal viewing size. Wasn't sure if there was any truth to that or if I should just do the "statndard" 120 in. screen?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-07-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by td0703 View Post
Thank you USC and gil!

That makes sense about considering the brightness and resolution.

Still makes me a little nervous about not going 4k as the movies in 4k just looks amazing!

In terms of screen size, do you feel 140 in is too large? I know its all a matter of opinion. I'm confident most of my viewers will be between 10-20 ft from the screen but I guess I can just put chairs wherever is optimal in terms of seating distance from the screen. I just read on the Optoma UHD50 description on Amazon it said 140 in was the optimal viewing size. Wasn't sure if there was any truth to that or if I should just do the "statndard" 120 in. screen?

I don’t think 140 inches is too large just that if you want to light up a screen that size outdoors before it is pitch black dark out you will need a light cannon of a projector hence my recommendations. The bigger the better as long as the image isn’t washed out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page