Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-05-2020, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Setup for back patio

Alright so I am trying to figure out my best solution.

Currently have the following:
Screen - Elite Screens Manual B, 100-INCH 16:9,
Projector - Use an old Dell 4:3 ***want to upgrade to 1080p this spring/summer. Looking for suggestions on a replacement projector as well.

Speakers: I have two outdoor speakers that are setup to my reciever indoors for playing music.

When I use the above setup I bring out my garage reciever/speakers and hook up a laptop for playback. I'm trying to figure out a more simplified option for this.

I can run a network drop out there and have power out there. It doesn't need to be super loud or anything.

Would I be able to just use the Roku Smart Soundbar and run a hdmi cable from that to a new projector that has hdmi? Maybe I am over thinking this. Any help/ideas would be great. I really want it just simple so my wife and kids can use it.

Plex is my source for playback reason I thought of the Roku.

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings

Last edited by cburbs; 03-05-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
Alright so I am trying to figure out my best solution.

Currently have the following:
Screen - Elite Screens Manual B, 100-INCH 16:9,
Projector - Use an old Dell 4:3 ***want to upgrade to 1080p this spring/summer. Looking for suggestions on a replacement projector as well.

Speakers: I have two outdoor speakers that are setup to my reciever indoors for playing music.

When I use the above setup I bring out my garage reciever/speakers and hook up a laptop for playback. I'm trying to figure out a more simplified option for this.

I can run a network drop out there and have power out there. It doesn't need to be super loud or anything.

Would I be able to just use the Roku Smart Soundbar and run a hdmi cable from that to a new projector that has hdmi? Maybe I am over thinking this. Any help/ideas would be great. I really want it just simple so my wife and kids can use it.

Plex is my source for playback reason I thought of the Roku.

Well, I'll take a stab at it.

I would say that you need to first clearly state what your objective is.

From you verbiage, it sounds like you have two different receiver/speaker combinations to work with? You want a new projector and you're considering a soundbar. And it should be simple.

With a 100" screen and simple, I'd go with a TV. You can pick up a 75" to 85" TV for $700 or less than $2000. A TV is going to be easier to set up and operate. You can compensate for the size difference by sitting closer.

If you're opting for a projector, the work flow or equipment required is the same as you have now. That is, SOURCE > AMPLIFIER/SPEAKER > DISPLAY. So what ever source hardware you're planing to use, some sort of amplifier/speaker or amplified speaker for the audio, and a display which would be your projector/screen. Not sure that you can make it any simpler.

It would be helpful to share a budget figure and what equipment that you already have that you want to use.

If all you want is a 1080p projector to work with your 100" screen and a Roku 2 channel smart sound bar, then you can do that for well under $750. An Epson HC1060 projector (under $500) would work nicely for you and what ever soundbar you choose.

FWIW, my outdoor theater is 5.2 surround. I use Bluray/DVD, DuneHD/Zidoo media players, and IOGear wireless HDMI from indoor cable box as sources. A Denon AVR, Epson HC1060 projector, and a 144" screen completes the setup. I'm able to set everything up in ~1 hour by myself.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-07-2020, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK so I am after simplicity once I get things dialed in/setup. I don't want to always have to set it up. It should be plug and play and easy enough for the wife or kids to get it going.

So I have the pull down screen out there already.
1) Add a low end 1080p projector with HDMI. $500 or less probably.

2) I haven't looked but can I pass source/sound to the projector outside from my Denon 3400 through hdmi. I know I can with music through analog.

If I can pass sound do I just use the speakers already hooked up for music? Will that be enough & loud enough.

If the above statement is false could I get away with just using a soundbar out there and how would I connect that.

To extend HDMI out there I came across these options - If I can go from the receiver to the projector and

- Monoprice HDMI Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable, Extend Up to 98ft

- Monoprice Blackbird HDMI Extender, 50m, PoC, IR Kit, Loop Out

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2020, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
OK so I am after simplicity once I get things dialed in/setup. I don't want to always have to set it up. It should be plug and play and easy enough for the wife or kids to get it going.

So I have the pull down screen out there already.
1) Add a low end 1080p projector with HDMI. $500 or less probably.
Again, the Epson HC1060. It's ~$500 or less.

Quote:
2) I haven't looked but can I pass source/sound to the projector outside from my Denon 3400 through hdmi. I know I can with music through analog.
As a general rule, projectors don't do sound. If they do, the speakers are usually much less than adequate. Perhaps you should take a few moments of your time and familiarize yourself with the capabilities of your Denon AVR3400.

Again, the work flow would be SOURCE > AVR (in your case the Denon AVR X3400H) > DISPLAY/PROJECTOR. Connections between the SOURCE/AVR/PROJECTOR should be made by HDMI.

Quote:
If I can pass sound do I just use the speakers already hooked up for music? Will that be enough & loud enough.
Generally, yes.

However, I have no idea if they will be loud enough as I have no idea what speakers they are, how many you have, the distance/location relative to the screen and your seating position, or how loud you require the sound to be.

Quote:
If the above statement is false could I get away with just using a soundbar out there and how would I connect that.
Sure, you can use a soundbar.

Is it an active or passive soundbar?

If it's passive, then you'll need to power it with some thing like your Denon AVR.

If it's active then the connection procedure for a source and the projector will most likely be more complex. You will possibly need an HDMI splitter to send signal from the source to both the soundbar and projector as projectors typically do not have HDMI out or ARC.

Quote:
To extend HDMI out there I came across these options - If I can go from the receiver to the projector and

- Monoprice HDMI Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable, Extend Up to 98ft

- Monoprice Blackbird HDMI Extender, 50m, PoC, IR Kit, Loop Out
Yes, those options should work. What kind of distance are you talking about?

It's also possible to use an active HDMI cable or fiber optic HDMI for long runs. Another option is wireless HDMI.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-24-2020, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I will keep that projector in mind.

I figured out how to pass sound out while playing Video. Will need to do some more testing on it though.

I haven't had to measure distance yet but running a lan cable will be easier than the HDMI cable.

Sony 55EX500 Settings

Last edited by cburbs; 03-24-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page