Outdoor Screen on Power Sun Shade? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By b curry

post #1 of 20 Old 04-08-2020, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor Screen on Power Sun Shade?

About 12 years ago, I built a setup for a front yard theater. I have a 10'x20' Dazian screen that I had made that I put up using a galvanized pipe frame and hang it under the overhang of our garage so it fills the opening just about perfectly. I rear project onto it and it works great for a block party movie. But it's a pain to setup/tear down. I am looking for something easier, but for that size, options are limited. I keep going back to an idea I had to install a retractable patio sunscreen/shade there. I can get this in a 10x20 size and deploy a screen in 15 seconds as opposed to the 45 minutes of sweaty stooping and stretching it takes in the Texas summer heat to mount the frame and then do all the bow ties to attach the screen to the frame.

Anybody have experience with a build like this?

These sun shades are pretty common these days as opposed to 10 years ago and pricing has come down to acceptable levels for me. Something like this would allow me to do a movie much more spur of the moment. I want to stick with rear projection if I can because it protects all my gear from unexpected weather, dew, spilled drinks and rambunctious kids. It also allows for up-close seating with no issues of shadows.

In particular I am curious about the best fabric types to look at. Many (most/all?) of these are more bug screens with significant amount of light allowed to pass through. Would a 90% shade screen possibly work?

Thanks in advance for any and all advise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-08-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by platipus View Post
About 12 years ago, I built a setup for a front yard theater. I have a 10'x20' Dazian screen that I had made that I put up using a galvanized pipe frame and hang it under the overhang of our garage so it fills the opening just about perfectly. I rear project onto it and it works great for a block party movie. But it's a pain to setup/tear down. I am looking for something easier, but for that size, options are limited. I keep going back to an idea I had to install a retractable patio sunscreen/shade there. I can get this in a 10x20 size and deploy a screen in 15 seconds as opposed to the 45 minutes of sweaty stooping and stretching it takes in the Texas summer heat to mount the frame and then do all the bow ties to attach the screen to the frame.

Anybody have experience with a build like this?

These sun shades are pretty common these days as opposed to 10 years ago and pricing has come down to acceptable levels for me. Something like this would allow me to do a movie much more spur of the moment. I want to stick with rear projection if I can because it protects all my gear from unexpected weather, dew, spilled drinks and rambunctious kids. It also allows for up-close seating with no issues of shadows.

In particular I am curious about the best fabric types to look at. Many (most/all?) of these are more bug screens with significant amount of light allowed to pass through. Would a 90% shade screen possibly work?

Thanks in advance for any and all advise!
Carl's Place - He will custom cut and has both white and gray rear projection material. He will sell to you as raw material or with finished edges as well as finished edges with tie down grommets installed. With Grommets installed you can bungee the screen to a frame.

https://www.carlofet.com/shop/projec...t_ratio=16%3A9

https://www.carlofet.com/shop/projec...&seam=Seamless

Last edited by b curry; 04-08-2020 at 03:31 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-08-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Carl's Place - He will custom cut and has both white and gray rear projection material. He will sell to you as raw material or with finished edges as well as finished edges with tie down grommets installed. With Grommets installed you can bungee the screen to a frame.

Appreciate the reply! This is however similar to what I have right now that I want to upgrade from (frame with a material screen).

I'm specifically looking for a "system" to be able to just roll a screen down when I want it. For outdoor use and for a 10'x20' screen, there is not a whole lot I can think of that would be better for this without spending a fortune than a roller shade. I just was hoping to get some wisdom from anybody that's done this already.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-08-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Appreciate the reply! This is however similar to what I have right now that I want to upgrade from (frame with a material screen).

This defiantly is not a Dazian type material. It's not a stretchy polyester at all. It's a translucent kind of vinyl. The white material is a bit more opaque. I use it for outdoor decoration/projector mapping.

If you contact them, they will send you some samples.

I assumed from your post that you had the roller shade mechanism and were looking for a better material than Dazian. A DIY project.

Quote:
I'm specifically looking for a "system" to be able to just roll a screen down when I want it. For outdoor use and for a 10'x20' screen, there is not a whole lot I can think of that would be better for this without spending a fortune than a roller shade. I just was hoping to get some wisdom from anybody that's done this already.

Thanks!!!
So you want a screen that's built like a retractable patio sunscreen/shade? That's usually just called a drop down or pull down screen.

It can be done by several of the screen manufacture; Elite, Stewart, Da-lite, etc. That's a big screen so you're looking at big dollars, $3K-$4K. You might get a lower price contacting one of the Chinese screen manufactures like Screen Pro direct.

Maybe supply your own material and contact a retractable shade company. Sorry, I don't know of anyone doing what you want to do.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-08-2020, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's an Elite Yard Master pull down. You'd have to contact Elite for the size and material you want as they only offer this up to 120" as a stock item.

post #6 of 20 Old 04-09-2020, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So you want a screen that's built like a retractable patio sunscreen/shade? That's usually just called a drop down or pull down screen.

It can be done by several of the screen manufacture; Elite, Stewart, Da-lite, etc. That's a big screen so you're looking at big dollars, $3K-$4K. You might get a lower price contacting one of the Chinese screen manufactures like Screen Pro direct.

Maybe supply your own material and contact a retractable shade company. Sorry, I don't know of anyone doing what you want to do.

I am trying to see if anyone has seen/done a rear (or front even) projection screen out of a "standard" outdoor patio roller shade with one of the "standard" roller shade materials. Picture quality is secondary to ease of use and expense of sub-$1500 which I have seen quoted on this size of shade screen.

I appreciate your ideas because you have a really good one. I could see if a roller shade could be made with a custom material that I supplied which I had not thought of. I am sure they would not warranty it though so there is risk. Primarily I would be worried about mildew getting into the screen since it could potentially stay rolled up for months at a time.

I am still hoping anybody out there has seen or maybe even tried to do this before on a standard retractable patio roller shade.

Thanks!
post #7 of 20 Old 04-09-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am trying to see if anyone has seen/done a rear (or front even) projection screen out of a "standard" outdoor patio roller shade with one of the "standard" roller shade materials. Picture quality is secondary to ease of use and expense of sub-$1500 which I have seen quoted on this size of shade screen.

I appreciate your ideas because you have a really good one. I could see if a roller shade could be made with a custom material that I supplied which I had not thought of. I am sure they would not warranty it though so there is risk. Primarily I would be worried about mildew getting into the screen since it could potentially stay rolled up for months at a time.

I am still hoping anybody out there has seen or maybe even tried to do this before on a standard retractable patio roller shade.

Thanks!
I've used both Carl's FlexiWhite and the White Rear Projection material and never had a mildew problem. We have heat and humidity in the summer but certainly not like Texas. The screen material can be washed or spot washed with Mild dish soap.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
I've used both Carl's FlexiWhite and the White Rear Projection material and never had a mildew problem. We have heat and humidity in the summer but certainly not like Texas. The screen material can be washed or spot washed with Mild dish soap.
I'm jumping on this one to ask a Carls question.

We are currently using a 120" white stretchy screen supported by two photographers background stands and sandbag counterweights. This year I want to make a permanent installation - two poles in the ground with a screen stretched between them - will the Carls screens hold up to the wind load or do they really need to be against a solid surface?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-02-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8usrnames View Post
I'm jumping on this one to ask a Carls question.

We are currently using a 120" white stretchy screen supported by two photographers background stands and sandbag counterweights. This year I want to make a permanent installation - two poles in the ground with a screen stretched between them - will the Carls screens hold up to the wind load or do they really need to be against a solid surface?

It depends on how much wind you're talking about. Any fabric screen is going to look like or act like a sail in the wind. You should be ok in a light breeze, 5-10 MPH has been ok for me.

Carl's Flixi material is heavier weight vinyl and is not porous. It's not what I would call a stretchy material either. It will stretch to some degree in the sun however. You should plan on securing it around the entire perimeter. Bungees are suggested and work really well.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Carl's has kits/plans for building various frames. More ambitious have built a frame form treated lumber or ceder, etc.

https://www.carlofet.com/shop/standi...n-screen-kits?

post #10 of 20 Old 05-02-2020, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4490 Post(s)
Liked: 4105
@platipus , I've been reading various AV forums for ~20 years now and don't recall a single instance of anyone trying to project onto a standard outdoor patio roller shade with one of the standard roller shade materials. I doubt anyone is going to jump in here and be able to give you firsthand advice. You are likely going to have to be a pioneer charting new territory.

If it were me and I were really serious about it I'd try to find the biggest outdoor patio roller shade dealer in driving distance and go look at the various materials firsthand. Maybe even take your projector along and see if the dealer is cooperative enough to let you throw an image on some of the materials. None of them are likely to be ideal for either front or rear projection but some might work better than others.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-04-2020, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I've been reading various AV forums for ~20 years now and don't recall a single instance of anyone trying to project onto a standard outdoor patio roller shade with one of the standard roller shade materials. I doubt anyone is going to jump in here and be able to give you firsthand advice. You are likely going to have to be a pioneer charting new territory.

If it were me and I were really serious about it I'd try to find the biggest outdoor patio roller shade dealer in driving distance and go look at the various materials firsthand. Maybe even take your projector along and see if the dealer is cooperative enough to let you throw an image on some of the materials. None of them are likely to be ideal for either front or rear projection but some might work better than others.
I am on the prowl for a budget friendly dealer. I found a guy in Austin that will do screens for a bargain price, but you have to pick up local and that is a haul for me plus it's a 20' cartridge which means I'd need a trailer just to get it. The company I had originally thought about using is on the east coast, but it's difficult to do this remote like that. I think you are on the right idea though. I need to get some large fabric swatches from them to do some testing. Thanks!!
post #12 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Here's an Elite Yard Master pull down. You'd have to contact Elite for the size and material you want as they only offer this up to 120" as a stock item.

Any thoughts on using a elite "non yard maste" pull down outside under the eave? I don't expect wind or rain to touch it so I'm not sure what makes an outdoor pull down specific to outdoor use
post #13 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb50 View Post
Any thoughts on using a elite "non yard maste" pull down outside under the eave? I don't expect wind or rain to touch it so I'm not sure what makes an outdoor pull down specific to outdoor use

My thoughts on pull down screens in general is that I don't like them and I don't really recommend that people buy them. Sorry.

I don't know what the differences might be between the YardMaster and non-YardMaster units. It's something you would have to contact Elite about and question the specifics.

I would imagine the roll up mechanism is the same for both. Hopefully they use all stainless steel in the outdoor unit to lessen the possibility of corrosion/rust from forming on the mechanism do to moisture exposure. The difference between them might possibility/probably be the screen material.

Regardless of wind or rain, any screen used outdoors is going to attract the formation of moisture on the surface through dew point condensation with night time temperature variation. The amount of condensation will vary with geographic location and temperature variation by the day or time of year. Any moisture on the screen surface with the screen stored rolled up will result in mildew/mold fungus formation.

The screen surface material for an outdoor screen should be made of mildew resistant fabric to help with this phenomena.

As an example, Blackout Cloth material which is usually a polyester, cotton blend fabric coated with a layer of thin rubber is inexpensive and quite often used for outdoor screens where price is a consideration. Blackout Cloth is unfortunately very susceptible to mildew formation if not stored properly. It can be cleaned with mild soap and water but the mildew formation will too often leave a stain that really never goes away.

Pull down/roll up screens will too often be rolled up with moisture on the surface and if stored outside where temperature and humidity vary greatly, they become very susceptible to mildew as well as corrosion of the mechanical components.

On top of all of the above, pull down screens have a propensity to roll over on the edges, form wrinkles on the edges, and/or material folds if not rolled up flat each time.

I use a mildew resistant vinyl screen that's tensioned in a metal frame, and lay it out flat indoors allowing it to dry before storing it.

It's also both expensive and much more difficult to store or transport a large pull down screen. My screens are 144", 165", and 200".

So for me, any convenience that a pull down screen might offer is offset by it's mechanical problems using it. I think pull down screens are best left in the classroom or boardroom and used infrequently for Power Point presentations.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:

My thoughts on pull down screens in general is that I don't like them and I don't really recommend that people buy them. Sorry.

I don't know what the differences might be between the YardMaster and non-YardMaster units. It's something you would have to contact Elite about and question the specifics.

I would imagine the roll up mechanism is the same for both. Hopefully they use all stainless steel in the outdoor unit to lessen the possibility of corrosion/rust from forming on the mechanism do to moisture exposure. The difference between them might possibility/probably be the screen material.

Regardless of wind or rain, any screen used outdoors is going to attract the formation of moisture on the surface through dew point condensation with night time temperature variation. The amount of condensation will vary with geographic location and temperature variation by the day or time of year. Any moisture on the screen surface with the screen stored rolled up will result in mildew/mold fungus formation.

The screen surface material for an outdoor screen should be made of mildew resistant fabric to help with this phenomena.

As an example, Blackout Cloth material which is usually a polyester, cotton blend fabric coated with a layer of thin rubber is inexpensive and quite often used for outdoor screens where price is a consideration. Blackout Cloth is unfortunately very susceptible to mildew formation if not stored properly. It can be cleaned with mild soap and water but the mildew formation will too often leave a stain that really never goes away.

Pull down/roll up screens will too often be rolled up with moisture on the surface and if stored outside where temperature and humidity vary greatly, they become very susceptible to mildew as well as corrosion of the mechanical components.

On top of all of the above, pull down screens have a propensity to roll over on the edges, form wrinkles on the edges, and/or material folds if not rolled up flat each time.

I use a mildew resistant vinyl screen that's tensioned in a metal frame, and lay it out flat indoors allowing it to dry before storing it.

It's also both expensive and much more difficult to store or transport a large pull down screen. My screens are 144", 165", and 200".

So for me, any convenience that a pull down screen might offer is offset by it's mechanical problems using it. I think pull down screens are best left in the classroom or boardroom and used infrequently for Power Point presentations.

Appreciate the feedback. I'll contact elite.

This will be low use and probably just for this time during corona. I build a deck in my front yard so I was opening to put something up there. It's going over my front window so a permanent fixture isn't an option.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This will be low use and probably just for this time during corona. I build a deck in my front yard so I was opening to put something up there. It's going over my front window so a permanent fixture isn't an option.

Take a look at the VisualApex portable screens. I use their 144" and it has very good build and image quality. It's a fold up, extruded aluminum tubing frame.

The can be set up in 10 minuets when you get the hang of it. They come with legs and wall mount bracket. It would be easy to hang over your front window, take down and store when not in use. You have the option to use it somewhere else with the legs like the back yard, the beach, camping, friends house, etc. They fold up and are stored in a not to big nylon carry bag that's included. Parts are available and VisualApex has great customer service.

Elite sells the same screen as the YardMaster 2 screens, that is, they come from the same factory in China.

https://visualapexscreens.com/collections/all

Gnhflyer72 likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Take a look at the VisualApex portable screens. I use their 144" and it has very good build and image quality. It's a fold up, extruded aluminum tubing frame.

The can be set up in 10 minuets when you get the hang of it. They come with legs and wall mount bracket. It would be easy to hang over your front window, take down and store when not in use. You have the option to use it somewhere else with the legs like the back yard, the beach, camping, friends house, etc. They fold up and are stored in a not to big nylon carry bag that's included. Parts are available and VisualApex has great customer service.

Elite sells the same screen as the YardMaster 2 screens, that is, they come from the same factory in China.

https://visualapexscreens.com/collections/all

I actually own the visual Apex in a 120". Takes about 10 minutes to put and and then 10 to take down. Works great for planned movie events. Convience is king with two kids under 10 during the covid times
post #17 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I actually own the visual Apex in a 120". Takes about 10 minutes to put and and then 10 to take down. Works great for planned movie events. Convience is king with two kids under 10 during the covid times
Gotcha.

One last suggestion to maybe save money.

Carl's place blackout cloth with finished edge. 120" is $99.00. Two or three eye hooks to hold the top and an 2-3 bungee's to stretch it tight. Or you can go with a pull down.

https://www.carlofet.com/shop/projec...0%22+%285x9%29
post #18 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Gotcha.

One last suggestion to maybe save money.

Carl's place blackout cloth with finished edge. 120" is $99.00. Two or three eye hooks to hold the top and an 2-3 bungee's to stretch it tight. Or you can go with a pull down. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

https://www.carlofet.com/shop/projec...0%22+%285x9%29
This is so damn cheap I honestly just want something that is super easy and not awful lol
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XGTXWE..._sTzSEbDYDW4N1
post #19 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is so damn cheap I honestly just want something that is super easy and not awful lol
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XGTXWE..._sTzSEbDYDW4N1
Holy Cow...

Yes, for that price and what you want to do, go for it. It seems to meet your requirements of cheap, super easy and not awful.

Do note the reviews where people complain about wrinkles in the material. Maybe use some weight or a bungee attached to the pull down handle to help pull out any wrinkles.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-18-2020, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Holy Cow...

Yes, for that price and what you want to do, go for it. It seems to meet your requirements of cheap, super easy and not awful.

Do note the reviews where people complain about wrinkles in the material. Maybe use some weight or a bungee attached to the pull down handle to help pull out any wrinkles.
Hi,

I am in the same boat - not to many movie nights because its a PITA for setup with a blow up screen.

I did call Carls & they said they are aware of people putting their material in a retractable awning. So I guess it has been done before?

I called my local awning company & They are pricing a drop down window shade with screen material.

I am aiming for 15' x 10' ish solution. I saw this:

Looks not to bad and you could get away cheap too - depends on what is accetable to you.

I also started to look into roller systems for tarps as i think that would be similar too.

I would like something I can either pulldown, roll up, something that is really really easy as that would make sure I use it frequently.

Let me know what you figured out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page