Ambient Light Projector Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By b curry

post #1 of 2 Old 04-22-2020, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ambient Light Projector Questions

Need to pick a projector for use in our Canadian evenings, it does not get really dark until after 10 most of our summer as sunset is usually after 9:30.

So how many lumens do we need to start watching before sunset?

I am really looking at Epson product as it easier to get from Costco here in Canada or directly from Epson.

I am setting up on our deck with a 120" Elunevision Atlas screen and the throw distance can be up to 15ft.

The Epson 1450 with 4200 lumens is available

or

Epson Z8250 with 7000 lumens is available at twice the price

Would short throw work better?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-22-2020, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistNBrke View Post
Need to pick a projector for use in our Canadian evenings, it does not get really dark until after 10 most of our summer as sunset is usually after 9:30.

So how many lumens do we need to start watching before sunset?

I am really looking at Epson product as it easier to get from Costco here in Canada or directly from Epson.

I am setting up on our deck with a 120" Elunevision Atlas screen and the throw distance can be up to 15ft.

The Epson 1450 with 4200 lumens is available

or

Epson Z8250 with 7000 lumens is available at twice the price

Would short throw work better?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What part of Canada are you in? I'm in Michigan and we have approximately the same sunset starting time issues in the summer.

What I've found is that it's usually 15-20 minuets after the published sunset time before you can really get started. The ideal starting time is what's called Civil Twilight which is about 30 minuets after sunset.

A smaller screen at 120" gives you more flexibility. The Epson HC 1450 will do a very good job. For a third of the cost and especially with your screen size the Epson HC 1060 will do a super job all be it not quite as bright as the HC 1450 but both are going to look like an LCD TV on that screen size.

The Epson Z8250 is an XGA projector and as such will have a native aspect ratio of 4:3 or like the old TV's. It will light up a much bigger screen and is kind of over kill with your size and the 4:3 aspect kind of kills it. One of the Epson G or Z series that supports WUXGA would be a better choice, i.e. G7000 or G7200.

There is no projector that can compete with sunshine. Outdoors the sunlight is reflecting off every object around you. A screen works by reflecting light to your eyes. As long as there is sunshine/sunlight present, the light will find its way to your screen where the projector is trying to compete. The sun will win every time. You'll have wash out of the image. A projector with extra lumens will help but again the sun will win the battle every time.

Here's a picture of my set up on a 144" screen with an HC 1060. It's in mid July at ~9:50PM. The 144" screen is from VisualApex. The Elunevision Movie Master Easy-Fold 144" is the equivalent and they both come from the same factory in China. The extra 1000 lumens that the HC 1450 has might improve the starting time by ~5 minuets.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E2665.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	2714442  
Vankyo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page