post #1 of 29 Old 05-04-2020, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 158
River outdoor Theatre

Hi guys. I have a project.

My buddy lives up the river here in Pa. We want to do an outdoor theatre for the weekends when the kids are up fishing and we are hanging out.

We know we want 120" 19:9.
We are buying a typical 200 dollar wonder projector. Not sure what. A recommendation would be awesome! Lighting will always be at dark.

We are thinking Carl's place with one of their metal kits that we buy the EMT. We can get that cheap.

What we don't know is material. Would be just using the regular white material.

What we also don't know is would be be better off using 1 inch or larger dvc with just his material kits?

Can i get some direction to get me going researching so i don't mis this up on him.

Thanks!

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-04-2020, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

My buddy lives up the river here in Pa. We want to do an outdoor theatre for the weekends when the kids are up fishing and we are hanging out.

We are buying a typical 200 dollar wonder projector. Not sure what. A recommendation would be awesome! Lighting will always be at dark.

We are thinking Carl's place with one of their metal kits that we buy the EMT. We can get that cheap.

What we also don't know is would be be better off using 1 inch or larger dvc with just his material kits?

Can i get some direction to get me going researching so i don't mis this up on him.

Thanks!

jim
Don't know what a $200 wonder projector is, but it does not sound good. Find a projector that originally cost much more that's now selling on Craigslist for $200 or buy an Epson HC1060 and call it a day. You can shop at Epson's clearance center for a referb unit and save some money.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...p/V11H849020-N

The 1" EMT (HomeDepot/Lowes) and the fittings from Carl's is excellent. It will build a really good, solid screen frame. You want the FlixiWhite material with finished edge.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-04-2020, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Quote:

Thanks!

jim
Don't know what a $200 wonder projector is, but it does not sound good. Find a projector that originally cost much more that's now selling on Craigslist for $200 or buy an Epson HC1060 and call it a day. You can shop at Epson's clearance center for a referb unit and save some money.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...p/V11H849020-N

The 1" EMT (HomeDepot/Lowes) and the fittings from Carl's is excellent. It will build a really good, solid screen frame. You want the FlixiWhite material with finished edge.
Ok thanks. That’s the material I figured. I can get met really cheap from one of our supply houses.

I’m glad I’m on the right track.

I’ll check out the Epson site. Thanks for that info.

You never heard that saying. A 200 dollar wonder. I just meant something cheap that will get us by.

I’m going to order him everything tomorrow. Thamks forcthe help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 05-05-2020, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

we ordered the screen. so we are onto the projector now. we have to get up to the camper so I can look at all the audio and video in it to see how we will handle that. so i think we are on our way.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-05-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
we ordered the screen. so we are onto the projector now. we have to get up to the camper so I can look at all the audio and video in it to see how we will handle that. so i think we are on our way.

What are you planning to use as a source? Blu-ray player, etc?
post #6 of 29 Old 05-05-2020, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are you planning to use as a source? Blu-ray player, etc?
ya cause the camper is in the middle of nowhere with zero cell service. He doesn't have internet up there yet so yes a blu ray player. there is 1 in the camper that gets fed to 3 tv's so i'm doing to see if i can get to it and we can go from there. there are speakers outside the camper also so i'm hoping we can use those 2. we don't need surround or anything.

that epson has a built in speaker. i assume it's useless?

jim
post #7 of 29 Old 05-05-2020, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ya cause the camper is in the middle of nowhere with zero cell service. He doesn't have internet up there yet so yes a blu ray player. there is 1 in the camper that gets fed to 3 tv's so i'm doing to see if i can get to it and we can go from there. there are speakers outside the camper also so i'm hoping we can use those 2. we don't need surround or anything.

that epson has a built in speaker. i assume it's useless?

jim
Yes, the speaker in the Epson HC1060 is almost worthless unless you're sitting right on top of it and then the sound quality is pretty bad. The projector is really very good. I've used it up to 200" screen size and it makes a great Super Bowl party projector as it's bright enough with some room lights on. Replacement lamps cost $59.00 so it's cheap to run. It has great color out of the box.

So what you probably want to do is buy what's called an HDMI audio extractor. J-Tech makes a very good one for $25. You plug the HDMI cable from the blu-ray into the audio extractor. The output side of the extractor will have an HDMI cable out to feed to the projector and a break-out Left/Right analog connection that you can feed to the campers audio system. It will do 2-channel or 5.1 channel.

Here's a link on Amazon for the J-Tech unit but you can find then other places too.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita.../dp/B00BIQER0E
post #8 of 29 Old 05-06-2020, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the speaker in the Epson HC1060 is almost worthless unless you're sitting right on top of it and then the sound quality is pretty bad. The projector is really very good. I've used it up to 200" screen size and it makes a great Super Bowl party projector as it's bright enough with some room lights on. Replacement lamps cost $59.00 so it's cheap to run. It has great color out of the box.

So what you probably want to do is buy what's called an HDMI audio extractor. J-Tech makes a very good one for $25. You plug the HDMI cable from the blu-ray into the audio extractor. The output side of the extractor will have an HDMI cable out to feed to the projector and a break-out Left/Right analog connection that you can feed to the campers audio system. It will do 2-channel or 5.1 channel.

Here's a link on Amazon for the J-Tech unit but you can find then other places too.

thanks man. that's awesome. the screen comes tomorrow already actually so we are going to wait and go up tomorrow night and i can check out the camper audio video.

and hopefully more important fish! lol

jim
post #9 of 29 Old 05-08-2020, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

the extractor. I have a question. it says 1080p hdmi to hdmi. the projector my buddy got is 720p native from epson the 760. will I be ok?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I assume I'm ok but I never used one of these extractors before.

Also should I have to change any settings in the Blu-ray player for audio?

jimi

Last edited by jimim; 05-08-2020 at 03:04 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-09-2020, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the extractor. I have a question. it says 1080p hdmi to hdmi. the projector my buddy got is 720p native from epson the 760. will I be ok?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I assume I'm ok but I never used one of these extractors before.
Yep, it's ok. That's just telling you that it will support anything up to 1080p.

Quote:
Also should I have to change any settings in the Blu-ray player for audio?

jimi

No, you shouldn't have to. What's it's doing is taping the audio channel from the HDMI cable and allowing you to use the same audio signal with the older style analog audio connector.

It's a kind of pass through. What is the camper using for audio now? I assumed that what ever you had probably needed the analog audio connector.

It's also possible to use the HDMI out from the audio extractor and feed what ever your using if it supports HDMI.

If your camper has an AV receiver and the receiver supports HDMI, then you can use the HDMI out from the receiver to run to the projector and you would not need the audio extractor.

The Epson HC760 is more or less the same projector as the HC1060 with the difference being the 720p resolution. It's going to work very well for you.
post #11 of 29 Old 05-09-2020, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks so much again. We actually have to use an aux audio input. The audio video unit is like a huge head unit in a car. It doesn’t have a front video input. Bummed about that. No bid deal. All we need is sound so I’ll buy extra for and a 35 foot rca to mini jack wire and call it a day. Gives us 2 channel audio for speakers outside in camper.

I’ll order that stuff now then.
post #12 of 29 Old 05-09-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much again. We actually have to use an aux audio input. The audio video unit is like a huge head unit in a car. It doesn’t have a front video input. Bummed about that. No bid deal. All we need is sound so I’ll buy extra for and a 35 foot rca to mini jack wire and call it a day. Gives us 2 channel audio for speakers outside in camper.

I’ll order that stuff now then.

Yeah, kind of thought it might be an automotive unit and that's why I suggested the audio extractor.

Monoprice has RCA/3.5mm mini jack and RCA/RCA cable; good quality and cheap. 35' of RCA/3.5mm mini jack is $10.60.

So the work flow would be HDMI from Blu-ray in to Audio Extractor. HDMI out from Audio Extractor to Projector. RCA out from Audio Extractor to your Head Unit AUX Audio input.

Link for cable:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5600
post #13 of 29 Old 05-09-2020, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks man. That’s the exact one I got. I buy from them a lot.

Thanks so much for the layout and all the help. We r going to go out it together this week and hopefully fish for some catties if they are finally out of the mud!!
post #14 of 29 Old 05-09-2020, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks man. That’s the exact one I got. I buy from them a lot.

Thanks so much for the layout and all the help. We r going to go out it together this week and hopefully fish for some catties if they are finally out of the mud!!
Sounds good. I don't know when we'll be able to wet a line here. Our screwy governor won't let any boats out and we would be normally be going for walleye now on Lake Erie or Huron. Do you ever noodle? Good luck and hook one for me!
post #15 of 29 Old 05-09-2020, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks man!

Never noodled. I just looked it up. I have to try that. We fish with live gills on the bottom from shore with circle hooks so the kids can have some fun. Channel cats mostly in the Susquehanna here in pa. Bog cats though. Last years smallest was 28 inches. They are so much fun. We throw the poles in surf today holders. Build a fire. Eat and drink and just wait for the frenzy.

We have been heavy heavy pan fishing since early March cause the ice was off early. Covid has actually helped my pan fish game I think. We have never ever caught such big perch and crappie and so early. Thank goodness we can still takes the boats out. We have been going 2 guys per boat.

Next weekend is walleye. They just came back in last weekend. We wanted to pan fish a few more times. 2 weeks and the big gills should be in.

I got to check the noodle thing out.
post #16 of 29 Old 05-18-2020, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok I got a question. We got the projector and Blu-ray player setup cause the audio extractor finally came.

1. We really need to turn the volume up on the camper head unit to hear the movie vs if using the CD player from the head unit itself. Am I loosing decibels going out of that audio extractor and into the aux input on the campers head unit?

2. Also the epson hd760. We have it setup for a 12 foot throw which is appropriate for a 120 inch diagonal screen. It filled too to bottom woth a movie or even the test pattern on the projector but I’m not filling left and right? My buddy said some epsons don’t have a true 16:9 chip. I tried everything but I can’t fill the screen. Am I missing something?
post #17 of 29 Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok I got a question. We got the projector and Blu-ray player setup cause the audio extractor finally came.

1. We really need to turn the volume up on the camper head unit to hear the movie vs if using the CD player from the head unit itself. Am I loosing decibels going out of that audio extractor and into the aux input on the campers head unit?

2. Also the epson hd760. We have it setup for a 12 foot throw which is appropriate for a 120 inch diagonal screen. It filled too to bottom woth a movie or even the test pattern on the projector but I’m not filling left and right? My buddy said some epsons don’t have a true 16:9 chip. I tried everything but I can’t fill the screen. Am I missing something?
Yeah, the Epson HC760 has a 16:10 native chip, it's 1280x800 vs 1280x720. There is a 16:9 setting in the setup menu. It's on page 90 0f the manual. You will have some black bar spill over, top and bottom with this setting but you should be able to fill right and left. Here's the manual.

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd53633.pdf

No, you should not have any volume loss from the extractor.

How do you have it set up? Some Blu-ray players have a volume control and you may need to run this up. You may also want to set the Blu-ray audio out to 2-channel. I'm assuming that you're decoding at the Blu-ray player and it's out put is 2-channel PCM.

The HDMI Extractor's switch should be set to 2 channel.

Is your RCA/3.5mm cable using TRS on the 3.5mm jack? That's 3 connections on the jack, Tip/Ring/Shield.
post #18 of 29 Old 05-19-2020, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

2. Also the epson hd760. We have it setup for a 12 foot throw which is appropriate for a 120 inch diagonal screen. It filled too to bottom woth a movie or even the test pattern on the projector but I’️m not filling left and right? My buddy said some epsons don’️t have a true 16:9 chip. I tried everything but I can’️t fill the screen. Am I missing something?
Yeah, the Epson HC760 has a 16:10 native chip, it's 1280x800 vs 1280x720. There is a 16:9 setting in the setup menu. It's on page 90 0f the manual. You will have some black bar spill over, top and bottom with this setting but you should be able to fill right and left. Here's the manual.

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd53633.pdf

No, you should not have any volume loss from the extractor.

How do you have it set up? Some Blu-ray players have a volume control and you may need to run this up. You may also want to set the Blu-ray audio out to 2-channel. I'm assuming that you're decoding at the Blu-ray player and it's out put is 2-channel PCM.

The HDMI Extractor's switch should be set to 2 channel.

Is your RCA/3.5mm cable using TRS on the 3.5mm jack? That's 3 connections on the jack, Tip/Ring/Shield.
Ok I’ll check out manual and fix video somewhat. That sucks. I never ever thought about that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0094...b_b_asin_title

This is what I bought for audio. I didn’t touch Blu-ray settings. I have extractor set to 2 channel. Only way to get audio out of it.
post #19 of 29 Old 05-19-2020, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok I’ll check out manual and fix video somewhat. That sucks. I never ever thought about that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0094...b_b_asin_title

This is what I bought for audio. I didn’t touch Blu-ray settings. I have extractor set to 2 channel. Only way to get audio out of it.
The video will be ok, don't worry. Just switch to 16:9 and zoom a little more.

Cable looks good. What brand/model is the head unit? What brand/model bluray player?
post #20 of 29 Old 05-19-2020, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m really not sure for either. I’m going back up Wednesday. I’ll pull them then. The Blu-ray player is a Walmart Sony 50 dollar jobber.
post #21 of 29 Old 05-19-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m really not sure for either. I’m going back up Wednesday. I’ll pull them then. The Blu-ray player is a Walmart Sony 50 dollar jobber.

OK.

It sounds like everything maybe setup ok and it's a gain issue on the AUX input. So it would help to know what the head unit is.

Do you get adequate volume even though you have to set the dial higher?

EDIT: Lets wait until you can get the information. But if it's a gain issue on the AUX input and if it's possible on the CD input you could use an RCA switch and switch back and forth for the Bluray/CD.

Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/TNP-Switch-Sw...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited by b curry; 05-19-2020 at 08:30 AM.
post #22 of 29 Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I’️m really not sure for either. I’️m going back up Wednesday. I’️ll pull them then. The Blu-ray player is a Walmart Sony 50 dollar jobber.

OK.

It sounds like everything maybe setup ok and it's a gain issue on the AUX input. So it would help to know what the head unit is.

Do you get adequate volume even though you have to set the dial higher?

EDIT: Lets wait until you can get the information. But if it's a gain issue on the AUX input and if it's possible on the CD input you could use an RCA switch and switch back and forth for the Bluray/CD.

Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/TNP-Switch-Sw...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I was thinking that. There is a av input on back of unit, but my buddy and myself didn’t want to go messing to get the unit out. I’ll get the model when I go back up Wednesday.
post #23 of 29 Old 05-19-2020, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking that. There is a av input on back of unit, but my buddy and myself didn’t want to go messing to get the unit out. I’ll get the model when I go back up Wednesday.

So I did a little research this afternoon and it's kind of a surprise to me to find out that low volume on AUX inputs with automotive head units seems to be something of a common problem. Much more so than I would have guessed anyhow.

After you check everything out and if you don't want to try the inputs on the back of the unit, it looks like you can add a small headphone amplifier before the AUX input to boost the gain signal.

A brand that I have used in the past and I think are good quality come from a company called FiiO. The FiiO A3 and maybe the FiiO A1 would do the job and keep the cost down. Amazon has them, Parts Express, ebay, etc. It would not have to necessarily be the FiiO brand.

You would come out of the audio extractor and plug into the amplifier and then out of the amplifier and into the AUX input.

Set a volume level as a reference with the CD input. Then switch over to the AUX input and turn the small amplifier volume up until it matches the volume level of the CD input.

There is also a company called "Sound Shocker". They build a small amplifier exactly for this problem that you install in line the same way. There are some YouTube video's showing the Sound Shocker being used in cars.

Here's a link:

http://www.soundshocker.com/home.html
post #24 of 29 Old 05-19-2020, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok awesome. I’ll pull the model number tomorrow and try a few more things but if not we will grab one of those.

Quote:
Quote:
I was thinking that. There is a av input on back of unit, but my buddy and myself didn’️t want to go messing to get the unit out. I’️ll get the model when I go back up Wednesday.

So I did a little research this afternoon and it's kind of a surprise to me to find out that low volume on AUX inputs with automotive head units seems to be something of a common problem. Much more so than I would have guessed anyhow.

After you check everything out and if you don't want to try the inputs on the back of the unit, it looks like you can add a small headphone amplifier before the AUX input to boost the gain signal.

A brand that I have used in the past and I think are good quality come from a company called FiiO. The FiiO A3 and maybe the FiiO A1 would do the job and keep the cost down. Amazon has them, Parts Express, ebay, etc. It would not have to necessarily be the FiiO brand.

You would come out of the audio extractor and plug into the amplifier and then out of the amplifier and into the AUX input.

Set a volume level as a reference with the CD input. Then switch over to the AUX input and turn the small amplifier volume up until it matches the volume level of the CD input.

There is also a company called "Sound Shocker". They build a small amplifier exactly for this problem that you install in line the same way. There are some YouTube video's showing the Sound Shocker being used in cars.

Here's a link:

http://www.soundshocker.com/home.html
post #25 of 29 Old 05-26-2020, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ok we are at a loss with this decreased audio.

I think it's the extractor box.

why because:

1. there is a decrease going into head unit in camper via minijack from extractor.
2. there is a decrease going into a sound bar minijack from extractor.
3. there is a decrease going into a sound bar via RCA (no minijack) from extractor.

so via rca and minijack input into sounder from extractor there is a decrease.

the Blu-ray player is a cheapo so there is no rca output on it. only digital coax. he didn't check that way cause he didn't think about it. we can use a regular rca though a digital coax right?

jim

ps. pic is good. he is happy with the 16:9 setting. audio he isn't cause he said even when he turns up the volume the sound of the bullfrogs and other insects drown out the sound. lol
post #26 of 29 Old 05-26-2020, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

why because:

1. there is a decrease going into head unit in camper via minijack from extractor.
3. there is a decrease going into a sound bar via RCA (no minijack) from extractor.

the Blu-ray player is a cheapo so there is no rca output on it. only digital coax. he didn't check that way cause he didn't think about it. we can use a regular rca though a digital coax right?

jim

ps. pic is good. he is happy with the 16:9 setting. audio he isn't cause he said even when he turns up the volume the sound of the bullfrogs and other insects drown out the sound. lol
I've never had a problem with the extractor, maybe you got a bad one. Settings are good? You're decoding in the bluray player and out putting PCM? Something isn't right.

Did you get the model number of the Bluray player?

Yes, it's possible to use the digital coax out but you'll need an adaptor to convert the digital coax to analog RCA.

https://www.amazon.com/Easycel-Digit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
post #27 of 29 Old 05-27-2020, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m going up tonight. I don’t know Blu-ray model. There is absolutely no menu button on the remote for settings for this Blu-ray player.

Can I jist use a single rca wire for coax?

Quote:
Quote:

why because:

jim

I've never had a problem with the extractor, maybe you got a bad one. Settings are good? You're decoding in the bluray player and out putting PCM? Something isn't right.

Did you get the model number of the Bluray player?

Yes, it's possible to use the digital coax out but you'll need an adaptor to convert the digital coax to analog RCA.

https://www.amazon.com/Easycel-Digit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
post #28 of 29 Old 05-27-2020, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m going up tonight. I don’t know Blu-ray model. There is absolutely no menu button on the remote for settings for this Blu-ray player.
That just doesn't sound right. I've never seen a player that didn't have the ability to switch between bitstream and PCM. Please get the model number so we can check the setup parameters.

Quote:
Well, technically there's probably an impedance mismatch and it's not shielded but yes, it can work.
post #29 of 29 Old 05-28-2020, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just a thought, you do have the HDMI extractor powered, connected to its power supply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page