Right tools, Wrong Reasons, Audyssey is worth it - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By iH8usrnames

post #1 of 1 Old 05-04-2020, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Right tools, Wrong Reasons, Audyssey is worth it

* I am not a home theater person, never had it and never wanted, never educated myself on it. When it came time to create an outdoor movie situation I decided it would be 7.1 or bust.

I have a tendency to use the right tools the wrong way for the right reasons; my use of Audyssey.

Last year my wife and I setup a budget outdoor theater.
All the speakers were purchased used off Facebook: Jamo 8A2 for Left/Right/Center, KLH C180B for Side & Rear surround, and a Dayton Audio 10" driver I had laying around for a sub.
The surround was provided by a Marantz SR8400 receiver I bought for $70 at an estate sale and the sub was powered by a cheap plate amp.
Benq MH530 as the projector with a 10' 16:9 $30 amazon screen supported by a photographers background stands I have.
Blu-Ray is some Sony something that is unimportant.

I know most will say the sub is not sufficient; if placed incorrectly you are correct. In our case I placed it within 2' of the listening position, taking advantage of the inverse square law.
We get a lot of bass but the neighbors get none.

Long story short - WE LOVED IT!

Now for the Audyssey Part.
Last year was great but it involved setting up the receiver, projector, screen, sub, blu-ray player each night we wanted to use it. Not horrible but 20 minutes to setup and 20 to take down. This year its going to be different; all equipment minus blu-ray and projector and screen are permanent install.

Bought Denon AVR-x1600H to run everything.
The Marantz is now powering the subwoofer with crossover handled via AVR-X1600.

The primary reason I bought the AVR-X1600 was for "Dynamic EQ" and "Dynamic Volume" so our movies will not disturb the neighbors due to massive dynamics; last year I was endlessly reaching for the volume control from scene to scene. What I did not know is those are part of Audyssey.

I tried to calibrate the system the normal way - microphone pointing toward the ceiling except, no ceiling. I would get errors like no speaker found, etc. I am sure these errors are due to birds and lawnmowers in the area, and no CEILING!
I then mounted the microphone horizontally on a swivel and pointed it toward each speaker under test. This worked much better. I stopped after measurement 5 or 6, when it gave me the option to complete.

I know Audyssey was not designed for this, nor did I know I would have to use it for these desired features, but the results were enlightening.
- Crossover points were higher than I would have set.
- Speaker distances were much different than I would have anticipated.
- Speaker levels were much better than I could have done by ear.
- subwoofer blended perfectly.

I have yet to watch a movie with these settings but listened to a few songs from Tidal; imaging is much better than I could have imagined, bass integration is perfect, I am able to hear/feel the 28hz bassline in Emerald Hooves by Tipper without any boom. The upright bass in Tord Gustavsen Trio - The Other Side was perfect. Yello's Planet Dada (Flamboyant Mix) was flipping fantastic!

Ultimately, Audyssey is not designed for use outdoor but, if you can get it to work by breaking a couple rules (changing mic orientation, in my case) it is well worth the effort.
sdurani likes this.

Last edited by iH8usrnames; 05-04-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page