• 1 Post By b curry

post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-2020, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Outdoor speaker wiring

Hopefully this is the right sub-forum for this post

I'm looking at adding a speaker zone for my pool. The zone on the back deck does not reach the far corner of the pool area without cranking it -- which I enjoy but don't want to tick off my neighbors. Instead, I'd like to run a pair of 6.5" rock speakers over there. I've been up and down the internet and can't seem to get all my facts straight and I haven't yet had the pleasure of dealing with burying wires for any of my preexisting zones. As I understand it, I can either use direct-burial cable or run conduit. In either case, I'd be popping through the side of the house with a 1/2 or 3/4 conduit and running it down the side of the house for a clean look.

If I don't run conduit, how do a terminate the end of the conduit running down the side of the house? This end will be open if I don't plug it... which sounds like a nice way for creative bugs to get up in to the house.

If I do run conduit, how do I terminate everything where the rock speaker leads connect to the cable coming out of the house? Is there a water-tight box that would get buried under/near the speaker? I assume I would need some sort of in-line junction box as I need to continue the conduit a bit more to the other speaker.

Lastly, is 14-gauge cable sufficient if I'm dealing with about 50' feet between the amp+selector and the speaker(s)? What if I put another zone at 100' away? Is 14-gauge ok?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-2020, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgh View Post
Hopefully this is the right sub-forum for this post

I'm looking at adding a speaker zone for my pool. The zone on the back deck does not reach the far corner of the pool area without cranking it -- which I enjoy but don't want to tick off my neighbors. Instead, I'd like to run a pair of 6.5" rock speakers over there. I've been up and down the internet and can't seem to get all my facts straight and I haven't yet had the pleasure of dealing with burying wires for any of my preexisting zones. As I understand it, I can either use direct-burial cable or run conduit. In either case, I'd be popping through the side of the house with a 1/2 or 3/4 conduit and running it down the side of the house for a clean look.

If I don't run conduit, how do a terminate the end of the conduit running down the side of the house? This end will be open if I don't plug it... which sounds like a nice way for creative bugs to get up in to the house.
You can use what's call a cable boot or house cable boot. It's a rubber sleeve that goes through the hole in the wall. Or just caulk with silicone caulk. If you have low voltage lines coming into your house, cable TV, telephone, etc., it's how it's done and most of the time it's just caulk.

If you're intent on using conduit, perhaps use what's called sealtight. It has fittings to attach to the end of the conduit. You can find it at Home Depot. Just search "sealtight".

Quote:

If I do run conduit, how do I terminate everything where the rock speaker leads connect to the cable coming out of the house? Is there a water-tight box that would get buried under/near the speaker? I assume I would need some sort of in-line junction box as I need to continue the conduit a bit more to the other speaker.
Use a 1-gang box with a weatherproof cover. Easy to fine at Home Depot.

You can make the connections using waterproof wire nuts. You don't need a box but you can use one it you like. You can simply wrap the connections with electrical tape or a plastic bag and tape or use some silicone and let it dry. What ever makes you feel good. It's low voltage.

Quote:

Lastly, is 14-gauge cable sufficient if I'm dealing with about 50' feet between the amp+selector and the speaker(s)? What if I put another zone at 100' away? Is 14-gauge ok?

Thanks!
Yes. If you're going 100' step up to 12AWG

I have a backyard theater and I use 14/2 copper low voltage landscape wire buried. It's stranded copper, has a very tough dielectric coating rated for burial, and cost less than "speaker wire". Part of my work was in the copper industry and there is functionally no difference. You can usually buy 100' for less than $50.

I would not bother with conduit. Burial is fine. Just keep your connections dry. Use the fewest number of connections as possible.
pburgh likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-07-2020, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
You can use what's call a cable boot or house cable boot. It's a rubber sleeve that goes through the hole in the wall. Or just caulk with silicone caulk. If you have low voltage lines coming into your house, cable TV, telephone, etc., it's how it's done and most of the time it's just caulk.

If you're intent on using conduit, perhaps use what's called sealtight. It has fittings to attach to the end of the conduit. You can find it at Home Depot. Just search "sealtight".

Use a 1-gang box with a weatherproof cover. Easy to fine at Home Depot.

You can make the connections using waterproof wire nuts. You don't need a box but you can use one it you like. You can simply wrap the connections with electrical tape or a plastic bag and tape or use some silicone and let it dry. What ever makes you feel good. It's low voltage.

Yes. If you're going 100' step up to 12AWG

I have a backyard theater and I use 14/2 copper low voltage landscape wire buried. It's stranded copper, has a very tough dielectric coating rated for burial, and cost less than "speaker wire". Part of my work was in the copper industry and there is functionally no difference. You can usually buy 100' for less than $50.

I would not bother with conduit. Burial is fine. Just keep your connections dry. Use the fewest number of connections as possible.
I was looking at seal tight (edit: it was GB Duct Seal) but read that it has a lifetime. If the "plug" deteriorates over time, I'd be concerned I wouldn't know and the end of the conduit may become open.

I'm fine with direct burial once it's out of the house, but I would like a finished conduit coming from the back of the house down into the ground. I have a few others coming out of the house, so it will blend in nicely.

Thanks!

Last edited by pburgh; 05-07-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page