Outdoor Screens & Subwoofer - best kind of screen for my Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-04-2020, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor Screens & Subwoofer - best kind of screen for my Projector

Hello,
As mentioned in my previous posts, our new home is getting built and I got the paver patio & pergola installed with the builder.
The distance b/w two posts for the Pergola is about 14 feet wide and 18 feet long.

I'm planning to get Carl's screen with finished vinyl edges & vinyl Grommets so that I can use the bungees to hang them to the posts of the Pergola.

Sorry, can't post the link to the exact screen from Carlofet since my post count is low.

Since I want to get the movie started as early as possible, I went with Epson Pro L1100U projector with 6000Lumens
It's a native WUXGA 3LCD Laser Projector w/ 4K Enhancement. The aspect ratio is 16:10

Few questions -

i) I would like to get the best clarity & contrast possible. I foresee that there will be ambient light from neighbors house etc..
Should I get FlexiWhite or FlexiGray screen? Looks like FlexiGray screen has gain ration of 0.8 compared to white's 1.1
Gray screen with 0.8 gain will reduce the FL, so will it push out my start time to be able to use this projector?

ii) Since the Pergola is 14 feet wide, I'm planning to setup either 165" (6.75 x 12) or 195" (103" x 65")
I would like to get the biggest screen possible for my space.
Does Carlofet make custom screen sizes, cause the next bigger FlexiWhite screen I see is for 214".
If so, any experience - how's the quality of custom size screens?

iii) I'm planning to build couple of GSG Devastator 21 inch subwoofers. Since it's horn sub and it doesn't expose the woofer to the outside elements, I was told that I can use this outdoors. I'm planning to order the build kit from GSG pretty soon.
I live in Northern VA, so what can be done to weather proof (rain/snow/sun) this sub and how to protect from insects/ants/critters getting into the open ports of the sub. Considering the size/weight of this Sub, I would like to leave it outside 365 days.

Are there any other better alternatives?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-04-2020, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry forgot one more question -

iv) Our seating distance will be at 18 feet (the other end of Pergola). Will the 195" screen become too big to watch from 18 feet away?
What should be the ideal seating distance range to watch 1080p content vs 4K content?

Thanks!
post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2020, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bperl View Post
Hello,
As mentioned in my previous posts, our new home is getting built and I got the paver patio & pergola installed with the builder.
The distance b/w two posts for the Pergola is about 14 feet wide and 18 feet long.

I'm planning to get Carl's screen with finished vinyl edges & vinyl Grommets so that I can use the bungees to hang them to the posts of the Pergola.

Sorry, can't post the link to the exact screen from Carlofet since my post count is low.

Since I want to get the movie started as early as possible, I went with Epson Pro L1100U projector with 6000Lumens
It's a native WUXGA 3LCD Laser Projector w/ 4K Enhancement. The aspect ratio is 16:10
Nice projector. Use the 16:9 option in the setup menu.

Quote:
Few questions -

i) I would like to get the best clarity & contrast possible. I foresee that there will be ambient light from neighbors house etc..
Should I get FlexiWhite or FlexiGray screen? Looks like FlexiGray screen has gain ration of 0.8 compared to white's 1.1
Gray screen with 0.8 gain will reduce the FL, so will it push out my start time to be able to use this projector?
I would go with the FlexiWhite for the gain. The FlexiGray is not going to help contrast that much.

You're not going to have much luck with early start times either way. No projector will compete with sunshine and the sunshine is coming from all directions and reflecting in all directions until it's gone. The extra gain on the white screen will help after sun down over the gray material.

Don't plan an any kind of picture quality from either screen until 20-30 minuets or so after sunset at what's call "civil twilight".

Quote:
ii) Since the Pergola is 14 feet wide, I'm planning to setup either 165" (6.75 x 12) or 195" (103" x 65")
I would like to get the biggest screen possible for my space.
Does Carlofet make custom screen sizes, cause the next bigger FlexiWhite screen I see is for 214".
If so, any experience - how's the quality of custom size screens?
Yes they make custom screens. The quality is the same. They are more or less all custom. They pre-make screens in the most popular sizes for quick ship. I think something around 315" diagonal is the largest seamless scope aspect that they make in FlexiWhite. Much larger with seams. Call 'em with what you want.

Quote:
iii) I'm planning to build couple of GSG Devastator 21 inch subwoofers. Since it's horn sub and it doesn't expose the woofer to the outside elements, I was told that I can use this outdoors. I'm planning to order the build kit from GSG pretty soon.
I live in Northern VA, so what can be done to weather proof (rain/snow/sun) this sub and how to protect from insects/ants/critters getting into the open ports of the sub. Considering the size/weight of this Sub, I would like to leave it outside 365 days.

Are there any other better alternatives?

Thanks!
Those are some ambitious subwoofer's you're planning on using. Hope you have very cooperative neighbors.

You can maybe use a resin type or two part epoxy paint on the wood or a fiber glass wrap. Maybe build a shed around them. They're wood so they have a limited life outdoors regardless. I think there is no practical way to keep the bugs out, they've found a new home the moment you set them up. Maybe call the Ortho man.

Sure, there are always better alternatives, it's only money ... I don't know what you're after, but you're working in free air and it's quite difficult and expensive to get bass response outside that can be felt if that's what your after. Something smaller can give you great sound and be stored indoor when not in use.

Last edited by b curry; 06-04-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-04-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Sorry forgot one more question -

iv) Our seating distance will be at 18 feet (the other end of Pergola). Will the 195" screen become too big to watch from 18 feet away?
No, but that's a big image at that distance and some people will become uncomfortable.

THX would recommend 25' viewing distance or a 36° degree viewing angle.

SMPTE would recommend 30' viewing distance or a 30° degree viewing angle.

Quote:
What should be the ideal seating distance range to watch 1080p content vs 4K content?

Thanks!

Search for SMPTE and THX recommended viewing distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page