Suggestions for used projector in $300-$400 range for 16x9 ft outdoor screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-10-2020, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Suggestions for used projector in $300-$400 range for 16'x9' ft outdoor screen?

I'm looking to purchase a used projector for outdoor movie nights. I'm curious if the folks in this forum have some suggestions?

Some info:

- we use a 16'x9' feet screen made out of blackout material
- I have basically unlimited space for where I can set the projector in relation to the screen, so long throw/short throw doesn't really matter to me
- looking for 1080p, HDMI input
- price range is up to $400-ish, but the wife would love it to be under $250-ish :-D
- I'll only be using this occasionally outside, maybe 3-4 times each summer outside, and 3-4 times throughout the year indoors

One projector I've seen mentioned is the Epson HC1060. They may be in that price range used. Other suggestions?

Other question, about audio: I have some theater speakers (literally came from a theater that shut down. they're really good). I need a stereo of some sort to hook them up to. Any suggestions for older stereos that could do the job? I don't want to take my theater receiver outside unless I have to, but I guess I could find a cheap used one of those to use just for outdoor showings. Stereo is all I really need, not surround.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks for any advice you can give !!

Last edited by mpoyner; 06-10-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-11-2020, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just ordered the Epson from their website refurbished for $379. I wasted weeks looking on various platforms trying to find a good used projector for cheap and I finally gave up and bit the bullet. Like you, I'd hoped to spend less, but everything I see indicates this projector will excel for outdoor movies.

Supposed to arrive next week, so hopefully I will have more of a review then...
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2020, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoyner View Post
I'm looking to purchase a used projector for outdoor movie nights. I'm curious if the folks in this forum have some suggestions?

Some info:

- we use a 16'x9' feet screen made out of blackout material
- I have basically unlimited space for where I can set the projector in relation to the screen, so long throw/short throw doesn't really matter to me
- looking for 1080p, HDMI input
- price range is up to $400-ish, but the wife would love it to be under $250-ish :-D
- I'll only be using this occasionally outside, maybe 3-4 times each summer outside, and 3-4 times throughout the year indoors

One projector I've seen mentioned is the Epson HC1060. They may be in that price range used. Other suggestions?

Other question, about audio: I have some theater speakers (literally came from a theater that shut down. they're really good). I need a stereo of some sort to hook them up to. Any suggestions for older stereos that could do the job? I don't want to take my theater receiver outside unless I have to, but I guess I could find a cheap used one of those to use just for outdoor showings. Stereo is all I really need, not surround.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks for any advice you can give !!

Look for an HC1060 or HC1040. They are more or less the same projectors with a slightly different lens. The Epson Clearance Center will often have the HC1060 in the $300-$400 range.

A 16'x9' or 214" diagonal image is quite ambitious for the HC 1040/1060. You're going to get around 10-11 foot lamberts of picture brightness with a new lamp in the projector, which is on the dim side. A lamp with some hours on it will be much less. It's recommended to have something around 16 foot lamberts.

If you drop back to a 12'x6.5' or 165" diagonal screen, you'll get approximately 18 foot lamberts on a new lamp. IMHO this is the practical limit for the HC1040/1060 projectors.

Which model/brand theater speaker do you have? I would try to get some kind of AVR vs. a stereo amplifier. The ability to decode the various audio codec's and down mix for stereo output in an AVR's preamp section is invaluable. Most commercial theater speakers have higher sensitivity and will require less power to operate.

You can look for a used AVR or maybe go over to Accessories4less and pick up an inexpensive refurbished unit. I picked up a nice Denon AVR there for $150 and run a 5.2 backyard theater.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ceivers/1.html

Last edited by b curry; 06-12-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2020, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I recently purchased a used Christie LWU505 for $300 on ebay. It has a nice lens, HDMI input and 5000 lumens output. I just tested it tonight against the back of the house and it was plenty bright throwing a 12' diagonal image right at dusk. If the lamp holds up it should be pretty sweet for back yard theater.

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #5 of 5 Old 06-13-2020, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice, all! This is very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page