Outdoor projector mount? How do you do it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-13-2020, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Outdoor projector mount? How do you do it?

Ive got a nice patio area under my already finished deck. The deck faces east, so it gets dark pretty quickly in this area. I’d like to mount the projector by having it hang off the deck, it will be about 15 feet from the wall ... which would be fantastic. My thought is I would leave it there for the summer... but ... I’m not finding any examples of people doing this?

Ideally it would have back, side and top panels. Be large enough to hold the projector, an Apple TV and a surge projector. I would then run one power line to the box. For audio I have found connecting Sonos speakers through the appleTV works well.

Do you all use tripods? Or bring your projector out each time?

Ive looked at quick release mounts... but then you have to mess with the wiring each time?

Thanks for any help or Ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4510BDD6-1497-40B3-8849-14D5B6F531FE.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2741738  

Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-13-2020, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Oozing_Eye View Post
Ive got a nice patio area under my already finished deck. The deck faces east, so it gets dark pretty quickly in this area. I’d like to mount the projector by having it hang off the deck, it will be about 15 feet from the wall ... which would be fantastic. My thought is I would leave it there for the summer... but ... I’m not finding any examples of people doing this?

Ideally it would have back, side and top panels. Be large enough to hold the projector, an Apple TV and a surge projector. I would then run one power line to the box. For audio I have found connecting Sonos speakers through the appleTV works well.

Ive looked at quick release mounts... but then you have to mess with the wiring each time?

A couple comments:

Ill move the lights out of the way.

The screen will be mounted above the garage door. It is a manual pull down.

On the wall on the left side is a box. I will run power from that box up to the bottom of the deck and over the the location of the projector mount.

Just to the left of the garage door is a table. I have a Sonos speaker there now. I will either run sound from there, or, mount Sonos speakers on the wall just above (or on the sides) of the screen when I get it installed.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-13-2020, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:

There are outdoor projector enclosures made specifically for this purpose.

The inexpensive ones typically have some kind of fan and filter designed to keep some air flow around the unit to help dissipate lamp heat. These sell for a few hundred dollars.

The better units contain both cooling and heating systems designed to provide the correct environment and control moisture year round. These sell for one to a few thousand dollars.

The thing with leaving a unit outdoors is that it is subject to temperature swings, condensation, and bugs that like to find quiet dark places and none of that is good for a projector.

I mount my outdoor unit on a VisualApex adjustable projection stand and bring the projector back inside for storage. It's cheaper and safer.

https://visualapexscreens.com/collec...list=grid-view

Here's some enclosures to get you started. And then there is always DIY.

https://www.deertv.com/products/smal...nt=51191997011

http://www.video-walls.co/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-13-2020, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Honestly from the edge of the balcony id make my own to cover the projector, so u could just mount it under the balcony directed directly where the screen is going to go.... Then put up small surrounds and other speakers to make it sound the best you can... Possibly also make a faux wall from the beam on the balcony to the wall where the garage door is mounted and it would be an open concept towards the grass and away from the balcony

Then in that small dirt open area to the right, id put in 2 outdoor subs berried into the ground and open a couple sections of the faux wall and place covers on them so the bass fills ur now functional out door theater

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
There are outdoor projector enclosures made specifically for this purpose.

The inexpensive ones typically have some kind of fan and filter designed to keep some air flow around the unit to help dissipate lamp heat. These sell for a few hundred dollars.

The better units contain both cooling and heating systems designed to provide the correct environment and control moisture year round. These sell for one to a few thousand dollars.

The thing with leaving a unit outdoors is that it is subject to temperature swings, condensation, and bugs that like to find quiet dark places and none of that is good for a projector.

I mount my outdoor unit on a VisualApex adjustable projection stand and bring the projector back inside for storage. It's cheaper and safer.

https://visualapexscreens.com/collec...list=grid-view

Here's some enclosures to get you started. And then there is always DIY.

https://www.deertv.com/products/smal...nt=51191997011

http://www.video-walls.co/

Thanks for the reply. I like the DeerTV box... but will need to figure out a way to mount from my deck. It appears they are made to be mounted on tripods.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2048b View Post
Honestly from the edge of the balcony id make my own to cover the projector, so u could just mount it under the balcony directed directly where the screen is going to go.... Then put up small surrounds and other speakers to make it sound the best you can... Possibly also make a faux wall from the beam on the balcony to the wall where the garage door is mounted and it would be an open concept towards the grass and away from the balcony

Then in that small dirt open area to the right, id put in 2 outdoor subs berried into the ground and open a couple sections of the faux wall and place covers on them so the bass fills ur now functional out door theater

Thanks! I’m not sure I follow your faux wall idea. But putting some speakers in the area to the right is a good idea!

post #7 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! I’m not sure I follow your faux wall idea. But putting some speakers in the area to the right is a good idea!

Put up a fake, faux, temporary, wall that runs from the beam under the balcony and run jt and connect it right next to the garage door.... That way the sound has a smaller area to cover and doesnt get spread around to much, then add the in ground subs.... Just my opinion.... The wall will help to keep the sound situated and directed more imo

post #8 of 9 Old 06-14-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I like the DeerTV box... but will need to figure out a way to mount from my deck. It appears they are made to be mounted on tripods.
If you look at the spec's/instructions for the DEER unit, you'll find that it has VESA 100 x 100mm mounting holes both top and bottom. So, it will accept any standard projector mount located on the top or bottom.

If you look carefully at the picture, you'll see 4 mounting holes caped off on the top of the unit. A standard projector mount would attach there.

It's also shown on the drawing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEER.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2742308  
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2020, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
If you look at the spec's/instructions for the DEER unit, you'll find that it has VESA 100 x 100mm mounting holes both top and bottom. So, it will accept any standard projector mount located on the top or bottom.

If you look carefully at the picture, you'll see 4 mounting holes caped off on the top of the unit. A standard projector mount would attach there.

It's also shown on the drawing.

Thanks for replying again b curry. I’m a bot embarrassed that you had to do the research for me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page