$2k-$3k budget brightest? Ultra Short throw? ALR screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-15-2020, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 36
$2k-$3k budget brightest? Ultra Short throw? ALR screen?

I'm helping a friend pick out some equipment. I'm surprised nobody makes a ALR screen for outdoors? Screen innovations kind of does in their portable motorized?
He wants to be able to watch football outside for Sunday night football and maybe movies etc. But of course like most people wants to start watching things before it gets dark. How about a ultra short throw projector? I think $1k-$1500 budget for projector and 500-1k for screen?
I suggested a 85 inch TV and a stand but storing it isn't convenient .
Since he doesn't need 4k. What's the brightest 1080p projector out there under 2k?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-16-2020, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
I'm helping a friend pick out some equipment. I'm surprised nobody makes a ALR screen for outdoors? Screen innovations kind of does in their portable motorized?
He wants to be able to watch football outside for Sunday night football and maybe movies etc. But of course like most people wants to start watching things before it gets dark. How about a ultra short throw projector? I think $1k-$1500 budget for projector and 500-1k for screen?
I suggested a 85 inch TV and a stand but storing it isn't convenient .
Since he doesn't need 4k. What's the brightest 1080p projector out there under 2k?

Thanks !
ALR screens work primarily by angular reflectivity and or as a lenticular structure to suppress ambient light and reflect light back to the viewer at the mirror-opposite angle to the projectors light hitting the screen.

ALR screens only work if ambient lighting is not hitting the screen from the same direction as the projectors light, and that's the problem with using an ALR screen outdoors. Outdoors, ambient light is omni directional. That is, it's coming from all directions both direct from the sun and reflected from any object the sunlight falls on. That includes trees, grass, the sky, windows, the house, road surfaces, etc., etc., etc. All of that light is hitting an ALR screen, or any screen or projection surface you might use, from every direction possible at varying intensities.

That direct and indirect reflected light negates any benefit that an ALR screen might have when used outdoors with daylight ambient light present. Indoors, an ALR screen can be effective only to the degree of control of any ambient light present.

It's simply the physics of it and the way light energy behaves as an ALR screen itself does not know if it's indoors or outdoors.

The short answer to your question is that if you want to watch something outdoors with sunshine present, buy a TV and crank the brightness up. Projection outdoors simply does not produce any kind of watchable image until approximately 20-30 minuets after sundown.

Projection relies on the absence of light to produce anything that looks black or have any kind of acceptable contrast levels. You simply cannot do that with ambient light present coming from all directions and angles relative to the viewing surface.

It doesn't matter how bright the projector is, what type of projector it is, or what your budget is. A projectors lamp simply will not compete with sunshine. That's why god gave us Jumbotron video for outdoors and indoor arenas where the lights are on.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-23-2020, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks. I ended up suggesting he buy a 85" led at Costco and as stand on wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page