Greg Eisemann mod are very good! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 57 Old 03-09-2008, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
YES, no I can confirm that it is a huge upgrade. To quote my barco tech guy who in the past 20 years has worked as a professonial barco service man,(fixing and repairing) He said my BD808S now looking like a good 909. That's not bad..?

It is very sharp, and there is no need for me to buy a digital PJ at the moment. And I also think it can be even sharper when I get the astig right.

I have tryed different resolotions,and [email protected] look really nice, but at the moment I think [email protected] look slight sharper, but as I said, maybe it is astig I need tweak a bit to get maxium out of it.

Its also more light ouput, and more homogeny picture like as you get on 9 inch. I think it is because of the smart fiberoptic cabel that make the little extra punch.

When installing this cabel, I was needed to remove the shield above the cards which laying on the hatch(I think it is the lido cards) to get enough space for the DVI plug. You cannot bend this cabel so much. Have you tested this Greg?

There now much less noice in the picture, especially in bluray, than before with BG-DVI. Its also a bit less hizzing from the barco, but the fan noice is a bit higher than before.

Greg is very serious and he give very good service. It was a slight delay because the awfull flue that Greg got, some vacation and the fiberoptic cabel came in late. Greg gave me a good discount because of these things, so I am very pleased with Greg, can recommend him very highly.

He also gave me free upgrade to V9 because it came two days after I recieved the v7. (I have not done this yet)

Greg, would recommend you take some more picture of the parts that we need to send, especially on bd808s there the nec cards and the RGB AMP are seperated. Thanks to MPmods site that help me to discover this.

So order today! You wont regret a second!

PS: I have green p16 tube installed

(I started new thread because in the original thread they talk now about Marquee mods)

Henning Bortne - Sound Engineer - Loves CRT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 03-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Its also more light ouput

I'm curious as to why there would be more light output with these mods?
post #3 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 AM

The V9

The neck cards I replace the 250V main rail into the neck card and I double the capacitance.

So it allows the tubes to peak white at a higher level without putting stress on the power supply I copyed this from a Mitsubishi CRT design neck card.

From my testing this mod helps the peaks not typically the the darker or lower contrast images.

Greg

Gregory C. Eisemann Senior Electrical Engineer, Satcom Engineer, Opnet Engineer, Network Engineering, Satellite Engineering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
am I correct to assume that this leads to faster tube wear?
post #5 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschmit2 View Post

am I correct to assume that this leads to faster tube wear?

Not really, i have seen some mitsubishi crt's for sale with high hours and they all had nice whit tubes. I heard the Mitsu's actually had a really great picture. I was always afraid to get one because there is so little known about them.

Athanasios
post #6 of 57 Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Mish CRTS have great neck cards and great power supply's

Peaks dont hurt CRTS only constant images static. CNN banners etc.

Over built!

I took apart 2 once and studied them but the resolution was not so good on them.

Greg

Gregory C. Eisemann Senior Electrical Engineer, Satcom Engineer, Opnet Engineer, Network Engineering, Satellite Engineering
post #7 of 57 Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
"Over Built" That's a phrase we don't hear very often in todays world

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisemann View Post

Mish CRTS have great neck cards and great power supply's

Peaks dont hurt CRTS only constant images static. CNN banners etc.

Over built!

I took apart 2 once and studied them but the resolution was not so good on them.

Greg

post #8 of 57 Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 170
That's why they stopped building at the turn of the century, it's over;-).
post #9 of 57 Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

That's why they stopped building at the turn of the century, it's over;-).

HMMPh, Over, no not over crt will never be over till they can make a technology that can even come close to reproducing a image that crt does!!!!

PIXELS, We don't need no, stinking PIXELS!!!!!!

Why don't ponies need three eyes?????
post #10 of 57 Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM

[quote=lydmann;13332823]YES, no I can confirm that it is a huge upgrade. He said my BD808S now looking like a good 909. That's not bad..?

It is very sharp, and there is no need for me to buy a digital PJ at the moment. And I also think it can be even sharper when I get the astig right.

I've been thinking of getting these mods but wasn't sure. Maybe now i will seriously think about getting them for my Bg808s. Heck if I can close to looking like a cine8/9 that would be great.

PIXELS, We don't need no, stinking PIXELS!!!!!!

Why don't ponies need three eyes?????
post #11 of 57 Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=bbfarmht;13387050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydmann View Post

YES, no I can confirm that it is a huge upgrade. He said my BD808S now looking like a good 909. That's not bad..?

I've been thinking of getting these mods but wasn't sure. Maybe now i will seriously think about getting them for my Bg808s. Heck if I can close to looking like a cine8/9 that would be great.

Yeah, it is really amazing, and if you have new tubes, so do it, but if you have old sony tubes, then it can be a little soft. Ask Eisemann. I have mec tubes, and also a green P16LNQ tube, which make it even sharper.

post #12 of 57 Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Can Greg please answer about the issue with smart cable? Do you have to remove the shield above the lido cards?

post #13 of 57 Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 AM

Greg, I'm interested in these mods but the constant changes puts me off ordering. Was there ever a version 8??

I really would like a final version available before I order as I said via email. I really don't want to keep taking boards out to send to the USA to get the upgrades. It makes me feel like a beta tester of a product at times.
post #14 of 57 Old 03-16-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acave_uk View Post

Greg, I'm interested in these mods but the constant changes puts me off ordering. Was there ever a version 8??

I really would like a final version available before I order as I said via email. I really don't want to keep taking boards out to send to the USA to get the upgrades. It makes me feel like a beta tester of a product at times.

thats hard to do sometimes when your always waiting for the leatest greatest thing. Some times you have to be happy with what you have and forget about it. Also when upgrading boards the chip makers are also improving thier chips so the board moders are also caught up in the latest greatest new chips try them out and maybe come up with more improvements. So there comes a point when you have to decide hwen what I have now is good enough for me. If you cant live with that then you will either wait forever for the latest product and miss out now on something very very good or keep sending back your boards for the latest upgrades. I too have this problem but am learning to calm down and accept what I have is great and not worry what the other guy has thats better than mine.

Athanasios
post #15 of 57 Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

FOR many reasons anybody modding boards or buying mods from somebody should really buy an extra set of boards to mod , then they are not out of a working projector for what can be months and months.
I have seen people wait five months for a mod only to get it and there is a slight problemwith it, then, two months later a repair .

Bruce
post #16 of 57 Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acave_uk View Post

This is not correct, the v7 have been there for a long time and it is completed, there is not needed for further upgrade if you dont want to. It is very stable and the work is done very proffesonally.

We should not complain that it came new upgrade to this dying product that CRT are. We should salute them who does these CRT mods, without them, the crt would been even more dead than it is allready. So thanks to all of you who use your time to make these nice PJ even better.

post #17 of 57 Old 03-16-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydmann View Post

This is not correct, the v7 have been there for a long time and it is completed, there is not needed for further upgrade if you dont want to. It is very stable and the work is done very proffesonally.

We should not complain that it came new upgrade to this dying product that CRT are. We should salute them who does these CRT mods, without them, the crt would been even more dead than it is allready. So thanks to all of you who use your time to make these nice PJ even better.

I Agree, the mods of Mike Parker, Moome's hdmi card. gregs mods he Hi-rez mods are all appreciated , but if you ever are waiting for the ultimate mod to happen you will not get it because they are always changing and evolving. So get this mod now and worry a few years from now if there might be anything better.

Athansios
post #18 of 57 Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Even after ten years of fooling with my Bg808, I still rate as an amateur, just wanting to watch movies, sports, on shows in the best looking big screen picture I can jam into my multi-purpose living room. The digital age was beginning to leave me behind, and I had technical and other problems with HDFury and Moome's box. I began to seriously consider digital projection. But finally I decided to give Greg Eisemann's v7 mods a try, and WOW! With the cards right back in the projector, no adjustments, my untrained but fussy eye said brighter, sharper, deeper. My PS3 said, okay, now I will give you 1080P! My Toshiba HD-A2 said, okay, now I will actually show a picture again! I am still working on tweaking the picture, no small feat for me, and will be looking for a new screen.

Greg's service was also great. When I did just the DVI card, he swapped out one of his so I didn't have to wait. When I went back 3 months later for the full mod, he held the old price. And when he found an existing problem with one of my cards, he swapped it at no charge. He has been responsive and helpful in the setup as well. Very worth the cost, in my opinion, especially since my alternative was a digital projector.

Doug
post #19 of 57 Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM

HI

A few of my customers said they were posting on AVS. Its been months since I have been on here and need to get back to this forum. I wanted to say thanks for the support over the years.

When I first started doing mods I didn't think I would run out of batches of bulk orders of 500 or 1000 caps from mouser and I didn't think there were that many Barco Projectors to modify. Lets face it Barco units are getting old now and they need lots of improvements. The new Chips I am getting in are amazing with low noise levels and much better BW.

From the very first V1 mod I did to now the current V10.

V1 and V2 were just simple cap replacements and minor component changes and not that many people purchased as the improvements were minor aprox 10-35% better picture. The new V10 mods take 2 days to complete and has fantastic gains. It was funny I was telling people I could not go out over a weekend because I was having a MOD A THON had to complete orders that were backed up because my assistant that helps me was away.

I have products for 909, 1209, 1209s, 808, 808s, 1200, 800, 801s.

My new mods make a 808 sharper than a 909.

IF you have any questions please let me know I will try to check this forum from time to time.

GREG

post #20 of 57 Old 09-15-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Greg, have you ever examined a G90?
post #21 of 57 Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

HI

A few of my customers said they were posting on AVS. Its been months since I have been on here and need to get back to this forum. I wanted to say thanks for the support over the years.

When I first started doing mods I didn't think I would run out of batches of bulk orders of 500 or 1000 caps from mouser and I didn't think there were that many Barco Projectors to modify. Lets face it Barco units are getting old now and they need lots of improvements. The new Chips I am getting in are amazing with low noise levels and much better BW.

From the very first V1 mod I did to now the current V10.

V1 and V2 were just simple cap replacements and minor component changes and not that many people purchased as the improvements were minor aprox 10-35% better picture. The new V10 mods take 2 days to complete and has fantastic gains. It was funny I was telling people I could not go out over a weekend because I was having a MOD A THON had to complete orders that were backed up because my assistant that helps me was away.

I have products for 909, 1209, 1209s, 808, 808s, 1200, 800, 801s.

IF you have any questions please let me know I will try to check this forum from time to time.

GREG

What is new in V10?

post #22 of 57 Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

HI

GREG

so I can downgrade to an 8" ?

Michael
post #23 of 57 Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 PM

What type of projector do you have now?

I can tell you what to expect from the mods and what we have avail for the model you have.

Yes it realy is sharper. I can send out a set of boards and all we do is charge your card for them.

If you dont see the vast difference you can just return for a full refund.
G

post #24 of 57 Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
kal
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

C'mon Greg. We all know that's a physical impossibility.

An 8" tube machine with sub-par HD-8 lenses, 4-pole magnets, and 75Mhz bandwidth sharper than a 9" machine with high-end HFQ-900 lenses, 6-pole magnetics, 180Mhz bandwidth with 3200x2560 addressability?

Nobody questions that your mods will improve an existing chassis, but claims like that are just plain silly. Like saying some sort of engine mods will make a Chevy Cavalier a better performer than a Ferrari.

(And before Greg complains that I have vested interest in this as he always does, I have nothing to do with any other mod programs. Yes, I built Mike Parker's website back when Mike used to do Barco mods, but that's long gone and Mike no longer does any Barco mods at all).

Kal
post #25 of 57 Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidi View Post

so I can downgrade to an 8" ?

Michael

No need for that - you can also make that BR909 sharper than the BR912 so there you go - scanlines at 1600p

@Greg: These claims do not help your reputation, they come off as too much hyperbole and as Kal pointed out: The 909 will always have bigger tubes and better lenses - very hard to get around that.

But if there is any interest in it: I always have a stock 909 on hand and if you like I can also get an 808 with good tubes, put your boards in and compare it to the stock 909, I am sure that many 808 owners would like to know
post #26 of 57 Old 10-07-2008, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

No need for that - you can also make that BR909 sharper than the BR912 so there you go - scanlines at 1600p

@Greg: These claims do not help your reputation, they come off as too much hyperbole and as Kal pointed out: The 909 will always have bigger tubes and better lenses - very hard to get around that.

But if there is any interest in it: I always have a stock 909 on hand and if you like I can also get an 808 with good tubes, put your boards in and compare it to the stock 909, I am sure that many 808 owners would like to know

I bet he'd send you a set and only charge you shipping.

Athanasios
post #27 of 57 Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Kal and all other who are saying that Greg lying, it is thru that 808 can beat a 909. My local barco tech. that worked about 20 years for barco as repairing and install tech of barco crt projectors was stunned of my picture on the bd808s. He said now it's look like a really good 909, and he have seen some 909 in his lifetime... I have standard mec tubes, but a new p16lnq green tube. with p16 on all tubes will the result be even better.

post #28 of 57 Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM

You guys are funny! you have misunderstood what I said let me try to explain better now that I have time to write a little article:

Its true I had had many people tell me after the mods there 8 inch looks better than their friends 909. It’s all on a quantifiable level that you do judgments. The projector calibrations and what type of source.

I have seen sharpness levels out of a 8-inch that would easily be better than a 9 inch with the right back end amps and my DVI board.

A 9-inch however has LC so you avoid Halo effect and you also have better convergence control on a 909.

Raster maxing is also an important factor. I have been to many folks homes that have a 9 inch with a 7 inch raster saying that oh I have to put the projector here. So there are a lot of factors before everyone gets bent out of shape.

So where absolute sharpness is one test there are others that some would argue are other factors of the perfect picture. Contrast ratio is one too with LC. Lens quality also affects the picture but less so than people think. The tube quality and the RGB BW affect the picture the most. From my experience an 8 inch tube also has a more difficult time converging correctly. The 9 inch tube is a larger surface area and better glass and its easer to converge with less point convergence and therefore you tend to have less drift. I could go on between the differences between a 8 inch and 9 inch but it take too many paragraphs and people would get tired of reading

I have seen the HD-8 REV B lens with a p16 tube and mods be much sharper than a 9 inch yes but thats not every factor of a picture. Every barco from the 1209s to 909 and I can supply the schematics have the same chip sets on the switcher and same RGB drivers output cards. Part numbers change the circuits did not.

Barco didn't reinvent the video chain on the 909 they actually made it cheaper in many cases. The neck cards were the only item they improved the BW but the back end was identical to a 1209s. Thats where the real short comings were in the 808s and 1209s

Now with the 909 mods wow what a picture. I have a full set of 909 mods too.

Andy H is going to get a set and do a review for the people who are skeptics.

Reviews here of some of the people who got the mod.

http://www.eisemann-theater.com/inde...=page&SubMenu=

post #29 of 57 Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Awesome, did you send him two sets for his blend set up Greg?
I know i keep asking you about the Marquee Mods but how are those?
Have you spent any more time with them?

Athanasios
post #30 of 57 Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
kal
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm not saying Greg's lying, I and other have issues only with this one statement:

"My new mods make a 808 sharper than a 909."

Quote:

You guys are funny! you have misunderstood what I said...

No we haven't Greg. You said:

That's the only part of your post that I quoted, it's the only part that I referenced. That's all we're talking about here. Nobody's argueing that sharpness isn't the only thing that makes a good picture (it's actually one of the least important ones actually IMHO - contrast ratio, colours, greyscale, etc. are all more important. Your mods will help with many of these course).

Quote:

Raster maxing is also an important factor. I have been to many folks homes that have a 9 inch with a 7 inch raster saying that oh I have to put the projector here. So there are a lot of factors before everyone gets bent out of shape.

That is very true, but not what I commented on. Proper setup is crucial but that's besides the point. Are you changing your statement now to say that 'a well set up 8" machine will my mods will be sharper than a poorly set up 909 machine' ? I agree completely but that's not what you said. Again, you said:

Where in that statement does it say that the 909 has to be set up poorly?

Quote:

So where absolute sharpness is one test there are others that some would argue are other factors of the perfect picture. Contrast ratio is one too with LC. Lens quality also affects the picture but less so than people think. The tube quality and the RGB BW affect the picture the most....

Agreed. But again Greg, I'm an engineer like yourself and your statement was:

It's a black and white statement. We're not talking about all the other things that make a nice engaging picture. There are many factors as you know and your mods will help with many of those factors. Are you adding caveats to your statement now about a 808 with your mods being sharper than a 909?

Quote:

I have seen the HD-8 REV B lens with a p16 tube and mods be much sharper than a 9 inch yes but thats not every factor of a picture.

Nobody ever said it was. Again, the only issue I have is with your one statement which is:

You seem to not understand this. In my comment I quoted this ONE LINE and I said why THIS ONE statement could not possibly be true. Your response is about something completely different, about how many factors are important to a good picture quality. That's true, but not relevant.

Quote:

No sceptics here. I have no doubt your mods improve the picture quality, I just have issue with:

Feel free to respond and talk about something else totally unrelated now.

Kal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page