Any ideas what I may be doing wrong with my PC to CRT connection? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-31-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Any ideas what I may be doing wrong with my PC to CRT connection?

Hello AVSForums! First I'd like to say it's a pleasure to post here, these boards have already been immensely helpful to me in learning what I have about this so far but anyways I'll get to it.

So I have at home a Sony Trinitron KV-24FS120 with component input and I'm trying to properly connect my computer to it in a way where I can send native tv resolutions directly to it without having it converted no matter what to 480i like the hdmi adapter I have already does. Looking online I've seen multiple methods to create this kind of connection but what seemed the most convenient for me which was to use one of SPECIALTY-AV's CSY2100 clones for transcoding Scart into Component, and from there I have a Syncblaster VGA to SCART cable. The last detail about my setup worth mentioning is my graphics card as looking online I should not be having any issues with hardware incompatibility as I have an Nvidia GTX 980 which is the last card in the 900 family which I read online is the last family of Nvidia cards to support custom resolutions with it's drivers and software, and I have cued 480i and even lower resolutions on my hdtv over hdmi with no problems so I know the computer can output these resolutions.

Now on to what's happening when I try to use all these components.. My computer does recognize the connection and identify the new display as "analog tv" however when I attempt to set the custom resolutions such as 480i that the tv should be able to accept all I recieve is a heavily distorted and static picture as if I'm still trying to send the tv something it can't recognize playing around with the different resolutions settings I've only been able to get vaguely different static screens, sometimes I've been able to faintly view small windows where I can partly see my desktop although still distorted but I can see that some form of distinguishable picture rarely comes through.

Now is where I'm drawing blanks, I can't find anymore leads online and I feel I've tried setting all the different kinds of resolutions that tv supports that I could think of (nothing above 480i) with any of the different timing settings I could select from Nvidia's custom resolution settings dropdown (although there could be specific timing settings you have to manually apply I'm unaware of). I've tried other programs to make my computer output these resolutions like CRT_Emudriver which gave me the same results and Powerstrip which would not allow me to select it's custom resolution and timing dialogue.

That's why I've came to you today, do you believe I'm setting the wrong settings to the computer still or that maybe one of the components isn't working properly / isn't what I need? If mmy PC can still detect the analog display through this method should I attempt to use one of the cords that is vga straight to component because I was under the impression that may not work? Please let me know any ideas you have and thank anybody reading this so much for their time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 34
1: 480i is NOT the same as NTSC. Your TV requires full standard format NTSC and may not (apparently does not) recognize 480i.

2: This is the CRT front projection forum. You need to be posting in the direct view forum instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CRT Projectors

Tags
component , computer , crt , scart , vga

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page