Cleaning out the garage - Marquee 8501 LC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-10-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cleaning out the garage - Marquee 8501 LC

While cleaning out the garage, found my old Electrohome Marquee 8501 LC that's been sitting there for the past 9 years or so. It needs to go. Are there still people interested in these beasts? (I emailed Curt Palme to see if he wanted it, but no reply, unfortunately.)

The 8501 is the 8500 with the ACON auto-convergence feature, which adds a camera that it uses as its "eye" to automatically set the convergence. It's neat, but I found I was more accurate by hand, so ended up not using it. The projector has HD-10L lenses. I have the remote, and a 25ft VGA to RGBHC BNC cable that I used to connect my HTPC to the projector.

The foam panel around the lenses disintegrated, so I threw it out. It seems there's some sweating/leakage of liquid from the lenses. And I remember when I took it down all those years ago there were signs of this muck in the liquid of one of the lenses (the green one I believe) which I think was referred to as fungus? I used the projector in a 2:35:1 CIH setup, so it has the burn-in associated with that on the green tube.

Curious if there's any interest in these machines anymore. It was great while I had it up years ago!

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Never got an email from you sorry, but correct, no interest in these 8" sets any more.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the reply, Curt.

So I guess yard sale, electronics recyling, or the landfill is the way for this thing then

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM

Liked: 12
where are you located? I bet someone may want it.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good point. I'm in Georgia, about 30-45 mins NW of Atlanta.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still using the Marquee 8500 I bought from Curt 15 years ago or so, and it still looks great. But I recently got an LG OLED TV for my living room, and it's completely ruined me. So I am now looking at taking the 8500 out of my theater and getting a 4K projector. I have already upgraded the audio to an 11 channel (7.4) Atmos/DTS-X/Auro-3D setup, which is incredibly awesome.

I've had my 8500 on craigslist for the past few weeks, but I haven't gotten a single response yet, not surprisingly. I even have a Moome HDMI input card in it, upgraded lenses, a brand new unused blue tube and a custom husbox I built that is really great. Oh well.

-Carl
------------
post #7 of 7 Old 08-03-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamos View Post
I'm still using the Marquee 8500 I bought from Curt 15 years ago or so, and it still looks great. But I recently got an LG OLED TV for my living room, and it's completely ruined me. So I am now looking at taking the 8500 out of my theater and getting a 4K projector. I have already upgraded the audio to an 11 channel (7.4) Atmos/DTS-X/Auro-3D setup, which is incredibly awesome.

I've had my 8500 on craigslist for the past few weeks, but I haven't gotten a single response yet, not surprisingly. I even have a Moome HDMI input card in it, upgraded lenses, a brand new unused blue tube and a custom husbox I built that is really great. Oh well.
Take a look at the JVC RS2000/3000 however nothing will match the OLED. I started with a 9500LC and now have the RS3000

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
CalMAN, CS1000, K10-A, Spyder5, Six-G, QD780
JVC RS3000, RS2000, RS600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page