Car CD Pauses at each Track - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Car CD Pauses at each Track

I just bought a new Nissan Rogue and discovered the CD player pauses briefly where each track "bookmark" exists. This is for commercial store bought CD's and all other recordings. So if one song normally blends into the next, the sound stops momentarily before resuming. I searched online and found this is a problem with automotive CD players regardless of brand. There are complaints found on Ford, Subaru and even BMW. My guess is this is not an issue on the upgraded sound systems for each car company. I'm going to Nissan to check out their Bose system to see if I'm right.

I've tried to find if anything is in the works to rectify the problem but apparently CD's are not considered important now that most people are happy with streaming music.

I'm hoping somebody here is aware of the issue and may have found a solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Update....

I have spoken with the dealer and several car audio installers in my area. I was surprised this issue is either unknown or given a gloss over by people. Of course, CD's are not mainstream anymore. But CD's have a very long shelf life compared to magnetic tape. And I know there are a lot of people who have large collections of CD's which is an investment. So why would car companies blow this off when someone wants to buy a car with a decent CD player. There is a market for people who want to use CD's. Subaru discontinued CD players in 2018 but brought them back in 2019 when they received the blow-back from consumers.

One audio system installer suggested I try to work with Nissan and find out if there is a "system" config program that is not part of the main menu but could only be accessed by a tech. There may be a setting for detecting the CD track bookmarks or something like it so I do not get the unnecessary pause where songs cross-fade. I did try ripping a CD using WMA (loseless) to a USB stick. The problem remains so that is not a work-around.

If I cannot fix the head unit, my only option appears to be getting an after-market system. I will probably do this anyway as I want good sound. I have it in my 350Z (Bose) but spend more time in the daily driver. To get the premium system in the Rogue "SV" (which is what I bought) I would've had to spend roughly $5-6 grand more for the "SL" trim level. It would have included a bunch of other crap I don't want as a package. This is how buying cars works now. No more picking just what you want. It sucks.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I am not familiar with the Rogue, but does it fully pause the playback requiring you to press "play" or "next" for it to proceed because that doesn't sound like normal operation.

However, if memory serves me correctly some automotive CD players are designed to "mute" output while changing tracks to avoid hiss/noise from being output between the track change which can be more apparent in automobiles due to the sealed cabin gain when the volume level is at moderate to high levels due to natural road noise, etc. May not be true in your case, but just a thought,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridamplifier View Post
I am not familiar with the Rogue, but does it fully pause the playback requiring you to press "play" or "next" for it to proceed because that doesn't sound like normal operation.

However, if memory serves me correctly some automotive CD players are designed to "mute" output while changing tracks to avoid hiss/noise from being output between the track change which can be more apparent in automobiles due to the sealed cabin gain when the volume level is at moderate to high levels due to natural road noise, etc. May not be true in your case, but just a thought,
It does not fully pause the playback. There is a moment of interrupted playback about 1/2 second in duration and playback resumes. I have entire CD's (commercial...not custom mixes) where all the songs cross-fade into each other. I've never had this issue before in any car that had a CD player. It's not a defective player either. I checked multiple Nissan Rogues. I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla and a 2006 350Z (w/Bose) and neither car does it. My friends' cars (multiple brands) don't do it. It sucks.

The workaround at this point is for me to record the CD as a single track using my Creative Labs software on my computer. It has a setting to record "what I hear" instead of simply copying the CD (which only duplicates the original issue). I burn a copy of the single uninterrupted track recording and lose the ability to jump to a specific song but eliminate the issue with the unwanted breaks in cross-faded tracks. All other CD's without cross-fade are fine.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello. I just purchased a 2019 Rogue SL and have experienced the same issue as you. I played Dark Side of The Moon and there was an artificial pause before the end each track which was extremely distracting and kind of ruining the experience of the album as a whole. I took my car to the dealership and they said they couldn't do anything about it because it seems to be the default mode of the CD player Nissan chose to include in the vehicle. We also tried it in another Rogue and the same issue occurred. I was wondering if you ever achieved a satisfying resolution to the issue. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page