MiniDSP in my car, sounds “off” - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-03-2019, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 64
MiniDSP in my car, sounds “off”

So, I had an 06 impala, and I put focal components up front in factory locations, and focal coaxials in back, sounded amazing, replaced stock head unit with Apple CarPlay unit, still sounded amazing. Replaced car with 2012 impala with Bose system. Installed same speakers, same head unit, plus MiniDSP 6x8 and Pioneer 5ch amp, and AE 15” IB15AU sub. Removed Bose amp, cut out hole in back deck for IB sub, made mdf baffle for sub, sealed between mdf and metal with foam insulation, bolted down, etc.

Calibrated the MiniDSP several times, tried different settings / filters. Something is just off. Maybe I need to make sure my trunk is better sealed than it probably is, foam whatever holes are in the back deck, and put gaskets under my front speakers so they are mounted better. Maybe I need to make sure my gains are set properly, not sure how to do this accurately without a distortion detector. Maybe I need to try it without the MiniDSP in-line. But something is off. Sound is fatiguing.

I’d like to start at ground zero with the MiniDSP and step by step measure and create filters properly, because I think maybe I’m doing something wrong here. Can someone walk me through it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page