Help me choose ergonomic headunit w/wireless AndroidAuto,HDRadio. Pioneer vs Kenwood - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-11-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Help me choose ergonomic headunit w/wireless AndroidAuto,HDRadio. Pioneer vs Kenwood

Hi - I have a 2013 Subaru Impreza with a stock radio that's failing. I expect to keep the car for several more years so I'm thinking as long as I have to replace it I might as well put in something good. Important to me are good ergonomics, ability to voice dial any # on my phone, good integration with steering wheel controls, HD Radio, and I think I want wireless Android Auto so I can throw google maps to a bigger screen. I also want to add a backup camera. I mostly listen to news and NPR so power and audio quality aren't priorities.

I've identified two equally-priced units : Kenwood DDX9705S and Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX. There's no place near me I can try-before-I-buy. Can anyone comment on the ergonomics and reliability of these or similar units? My biggest fear is that after it's installed I find stupid things like having to press 3 buttons to enable voice dial or something like that. They both sell for ~$500 and locally I'm finding I need to pay another ~$200 for installation parts (including backup camera), and ~$200 for labor (probably at Best Buy, few other choices near me (eastern MA).

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

/j

[and I know I -could- do the install myself - I've done many in the pre-bluetooth-and-center-console-integration era, but this time around I'm choosing to let someone with more recent experience do it]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-13-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, FWIW I went with the Pioneer - ease of use, and detachable faceplate (radio is of no use to me if it's gone :-))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page