Car Audio - Auto EQ: IMPRINT (Alpine) vs Pioneer vs Kicker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-04-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Car Audio - Auto EQ: IMPRINT (Alpine) vs Pioneer vs Kicker

Hey folks,

I know this is a home audio/video forum, but I figured I'd throw this out there in the event some of you folks have experience with auto EQ in the car. Thanks for bearing with me...

I have an old Alpine CDA-9887 head unit, and established an IMPRINT auto EQ curve over 12 years ago. It still sounds great in my car. However, with navigation, Apple CarPlay, and HD Radio out there, it's getting more and more enticing to upgrade my head unit to something more modern, even though I'd have to ditch the iPod Classic 160GB with a full speed iPod cable (allowing the head unit to control the iPod), which is no longer supported by the current head units on the market. If I DO upgrade, I plan to get a head unit which supports auto EQ (sound quality is ultra important to me).

Pioneer now makes head units that support auto EQ, and Kicker sells an auto EQ solution, where I wouldn't have to purchase a separate Alpine DSP (Alpine no longer makes head units with IMPRINT built into the head unit). Here are the differences in their calibration technology:

-Kicker auto EQ measures acoustics from one mic placement point (driver's seat only)
-Pioneer auto EQ measures acoustics from one mic placement point (driver's seat only)
-IMPRINT (Alpine) auto EQ measures acoustics from five mic placement points (driver's seat, passenger's seat, center of vehicle, driver's side rear seat, and passenger's side rear seat), but this separate DSP module is a bit older (from 2012)

That said, does anyone here know if the more modern auto EQ technology (Pioneer and Kicker) is better than Alpine's? I would "think" the more mic placement points that are used, the better the overall auto EQ curve. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page