BMW X3 - X5 AUX Questions (Older BMWs)2003-2010 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By b curry

post #1 of 3 Old 07-17-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 897
BMW X3 - X5 AUX Questions (Older BMWs)2003-2010

Quick question on a 2005 BMW X3, basically inherited this car from a friend mom who pasted and had a question on AUX input.

Some BMW's in this era 2005 X3 3.0 model the CD player has a mode button and you can select CD and Radio, but I read that the unit can be programed to read Aux as well if you should happen to install an external unit to use the radio in your car, weather it be an iPod etc..

Here are a few pictures of a company called AVIN, that has some pretty unique products that integrate well ecstatically but having use with no Sound, because AUX isn't initialized on the Radio. Here is the link to the company and a few pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5435.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	680.0 KB
ID:	2591866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5436.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	599.6 KB
ID:	2591868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5447.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	2591870  

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Quick question on a 2005 BMW X3, basically inherited this car from a friend mom who pasted and had a question on AUX input.

Some BMW's in this era 2005 X3 3.0 model the CD player has a mode button and you can select CD and Radio, but I read that the unit can be programed to read Aux as well if you should happen to install an external unit to use the radio in your car, weather it be an iPod etc..

Here are a few pictures of a company called AVIN, that has some pretty unique products that integrate well ecstatically but having use with no Sound, because AUX isn't initialized on the Radio. Here is the link to the company and a few pictures....
I believe that you have to install the BMW Auxiliary Input Retrofit Kit which is a change/addition to the audio wiring harness. It's a cable that piggybacks on the wiring harness via molex connector.

Once the additional wiring/cable is in place, the display will recognize and display the AUX input. The installation generally requires removal of the head unit/radio. It's a DIY job if you're handy and have the tools.

I think the kit is around $40-$50 and there are aftermarket kits as well. With BMW, you're probably better off buying the factory part as I've found some aftermarket parts to not work or fit very well. At least that's been my experience with my BMW's.
Garman likes this.

Last edited by b curry; 07-19-2019 at 11:18 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 897
b curry:

Thanks for the heads up, the kit was suppose to be in the Box for this install and it wasn't, hence that's why the BMW doesn't see an external device is hooked up so it just defaults to radio and CD. I did the DIY on this well some help, the dealership was almost taken away buy it as it looks like the computer in the newer models and Car Play works great on it so far. Thanks for the info! If the one they sent doesn't work, I can always find one of theirs.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page