AVS Forum banner

Best CD repair method?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Jamie_ 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help. I was directed by another forum here with a link to a previous thread that seems to help with a few solutions with repairing a CD/Game disc

(Plexus and McGuire’s plastx)

Couple of questions if you don’t mind?

1) are these still the best to use on polycarbonate plastics?

2) what’s the best material to use for polishing / buffing out scratches

3) when I use the sand paper method and polish down, I get great results for the polish and the Game disc works better than before, but I am left with fine scratches on the whole disc. I would rather have a clear scratch free surface like when it was first made.

3a) is there a way to completely remove the fine scratching ?

All the best and any additional tips and advice would be great

Question 3a) is the main one for me but all others are just as good to know

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help. I was directed by another forum here with a link to a previous thread that seems to help with a few solutions with repairing a CD/Game disc

(Plexus and McGuire’s plastx)

Couple of questions if you don’t mind?

1) are these still the best to use on polycarbonate plastics?

2) what’s the best material to use for polishing / buffing out scratches

3) when I use the sand paper method and polish down, I get great results for the polish and the Game disc works better than before, but I am left with fine scratches on the whole disc. I would rather have a clear scratch free surface like when it was first made.

3a) is there a way to completely remove the fine scratching ?

All the best and any additional tips and advice would be great

Question 3a) is the main one for me but all others are just as good to know

Hmmm. Dunno. I've never tried this on a CD - but I do use McGuire’s Plastx on my car's polycarbonate lenses (43 years old now) - and it does very nicely for these - I can't visually detect any scratches left behind by this stuff. Not saying they aren't there - it's an ultra-fine abrasive - but I can't detect them. Might be easier to see on a CD. Sounds like you've used it and it does indeed leave fine scratches? What kind of cloth are you using?

#3 ·
I’ve not tried plastx or McGuire’s yet as was sure if it was any good.

In terms of the cloth I’ve tried varying forms! I’ve tried microfirbre, a cotton cloth, shoe polishing cloth and none seem to be completely non abrasive...

Maybe I should go for a repair machine instead (that costs a lot)

#4 ·
I’ve not tried plastx or McGuire’s yet as was sure if it was any good.

In terms of the cloth I’ve tried varying forms! I’ve tried microfirbre, a cotton cloth, shoe polishing cloth and none seem to be completely non abrasive...

Maybe I should go for a repair machine instead (that costs a lot)

Yeah, I was gonna say microfiber (something Korean), or a clean room type wipe (polyester/blend) and the McGuire's. Do it on a disk you don't really care about of course for starters!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.