post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked: 2105
Car audio crossover question

Hey all,

About a year ago I upgraded the woofers and tweeters in my 2018 VW Golf with some Alpine SPR-50C's. I chose them specifically because the woofers had built-in crossovers and the tweeters had an inline crossover, meaning I could use the stock speaker cable wiring of the car without needing to install a crossover "hub" and run new wire to the woofer/tweeter separately.

My question is, what is the difference between component speakers using a single crossover network, where full signal comes in then is split to the woofer/tweeter separately vs. the setup I have where the full range is sent directly to the woofer/tweeter and then small crossovers (or more likely, low and high pass filters) cut out the unnecessary frequency range?

I did it that way as I wasn't sure I'd be buying out the lease, but now I am for certain keeping the car and didn't know if it is worth looking at a more traditional component setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Apart from potential increase in quality of parts and modification possibilities to fine tune your crossover, a main difference is that the outboard crossover allows for install flexibility of the drivers. You put the crossover somewhere and just run wires to your drivers from there.

If things sound good to you now, then your call if it's worth changing things in pursuit of better audio.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Apart from potential increase in quality of parts and modification possibilities to fine tune your crossover, a main difference is that the outboard crossover allows for install flexibility of the drivers. You put the crossover somewhere and just run wires to your drivers from there.

If things sound good to you now, then your call if it's worth changing things in pursuit of better audio.

It sounds great to me, but I also am not as well versed on car audio speaker quality. The Alpines seemed well regarded when I bought them, but obviously I don't think they are regarded in the same league as probably Focal or Hertz or JL Audio? But I also don't know if the differences are worth the hassle of changing things out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I am no expert, but most likely the on board crossover isn't likely to be as high a quality as a separate.

I had some cheapy infinity speakers where the crossover was separate but attached with a crossover dongle.

I have JL Audio C5 570 speakers which has the separate crossover, the tweeter is on the main coax, but can also be remotely installed

I also had JL Audio ZR 570 speakers (they were soon discontinued...tooooo expensive) the speaker basket on the ZR570 looked identical to the basket on the C5 570, The tweeter was a metal dome, but had to be remotely mounted. The biggest difference was in the crossover. The crossover wasn't much bigger, (really about the same size as the C5 one) but it weighed waaaaaaay more. Definitely better built from the caps to the coils. The ZRs retailed at about $1000 or $1200 and the C5s were only about half that. So in the end you get what you pay for. The C5 stuff is still awesome.

It might seem kind of hokey but I velcroed all my crossovers in...no screws, just peel and stick

If you ever want a subwoofer JL Audio Stealth boxes are the best...expensive, but awesome
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm running a subwoofer. Image Dynamics 12". I spliced into the audio coming out of the car stereo unit, ran cable to the rear of the car hooked to an Audio Control LC2i to split to an amp for the sub and an amp for the speakers, then have the speaker wire running back to the front of the car and hooking up to the stock speaker wiring behind the stereo unit. The idea for this was if I had to turn the car in, I could just easily hook the wiring back together behind the stereo unit and call it day after removing my gear.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
My question is, what is the difference between component speakers using a single crossover network, where full signal comes in then is split to the woofer/tweeter separately vs. the setup I have where the full range is sent directly to the woofer/tweeter and then small crossovers (or more likely, low and high pass filters) cut out the unnecessary frequency range?
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at, but better quality crossovers tend to be larger due to physical parts quality and quantity. That's one reason cheap coaxes don't sound as good-there's only a capacitor glued on somewhere cutting low frequencies out of the tweeter, and due to the necessarily small size not a very good capacitor. And nothing on the woofer. Anyway if you like the sound, don't worry about it.

I worked in this area a long time, I don't believe Focal etc automatically has anything over Alpine espcially the Type X. Speaker quality depends more on price and on the individuals working on the project at a given time. Some brands (MB Quart) tend to keep a certain "house sound" which you personally might or might not like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page