2000 Land Cruiser 100 Series Audio Upgrade - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeHolland

post #1 of 1 Old 03-10-2020, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
2000 Land Cruiser 100 Series Audio Upgrade

I drive the Land Cruiser more often than my wife’s X6 and couldn’t help myself after upgrading her system so upgraded the Land Cruiser as well. Not as elaborate of an upgrade but still great components even if not as many speakers were replaced.

Fun way to breathe new life into a 20+ year old truck. It has been my favorite vehicle I’ve owned and I don’t think I will ever sell it. It is our work truck, camping, hiking, kayak, bike, dog hauling, trailer pulling truck so I built a removable subwoofer for times I need to haul things or put in the third-row seats. I can still stand the subwoofer on edge and fit it behind the seats if I want. It fastens securely to the third row seat mounting brackets so it won't hit us in the back of the head should we ever get rear ended.

I built the subwoofer enclosure and matched the paint as closely to the interior as I could. Our other cars get the garage and I wanted the sub to be as stealth as possible. I may build a custom sub enclosure some day where the worthless OEM "sub" is. Musicar Northwest did all the hard stuff.

It is well used but still in good shape and at just under 200K miles, has a lot of life left in it.

The internal sound pressure of the new mid-woofers and subwoofer exposes some rattles I never had before. I can’t hear them at all from inside the car but if I really crank it, and I can as loud as I want without distortion, I’m afraid I sound like the young SPL kids with their distorted, rattling noise bothering the entire block. The outside door handles and rear wing windows have come a bit loose over the years. I’ve learned I can remove the internal panels and tighten the bolts and screws and that should tame the rattles.

Kenwood excelon DDX9905S, Dynaudio Esotar 650.2 6 ½ inch mid-woofers, Dynaudio Esotec MD 102 tweeters, JL VX1000/5i, 5-channel Class D System Amplifier with integrated DSP, ARC KS 125.4 Mini 4-channel Class G amplifier, JL Audio 12TW3-D4 subwoofer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Land_Cruiser_Install_a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	2695876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Land_Cruiser_Install_b.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	2695878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	12