Canon HF10/100 1080p30 questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I really like the fact the HF10/100 can do the 1080p at 30fps, unique to Canon, but that may be a problem. Before I purchase this camcorder and record a bunch of video at 1080p30, I am trying to understand how I would play all this video back. I currently own a 720p projector and would eventually update to 1080p projector. However, none of the projectors I see support 1080p30 (1080p24 and 1080p60 are the common formats).

Has Canon thought about this?
Is 1080p30 really viable for playback?
Can 1080p30 be played back on a 1080p60 projector/TV?
What are other potential HF10/HF100 owners considering for playback?

To have 1080p30 recording option only for the sake of making it easy to cutdown to 15fps for the web seems like a waste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a 1080p projector thats able to do 24fps, I wonder how it would react with Canon 1080p30fps material?
post #3 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7051 Post(s)
Liked: 7671
That is a good question, I don't believe many displays would support that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

That is a good question, I don't believe many displays would support that.

There may be a chance that a 1080p60 display would support it as it is a slower frame rate that is half (i.e. 30 fps). I don't know though....
post #5 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unlike 24p, 30p is not a special mode. It is displayed no differently than a 60i signal. The HDTV will hold the two fields and find no deinterlacing is needed, and then simply put the two fields together to make a frame and flash it twice.
post #6 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
^^^unfortunately, I don't think I have ever read a professional review that mentioned a display possessed that capability. If it used smart enough video processing, then yes, the display would detect that no movement existed between the two fields comprising the original frame and therefore would employ a simple weave deinterlace algorithm. Unfortunately, I doubt that a single display exists that would be smart enough to do this because displays expect interlaced footage to be acquired in an interlaced manner, not progressively. Instead, each set would probably default to a more complicated deinterlacing algorithm which would result in less than perfect results.

When you move to bluray, you're going to have the same problem because Sony was too stupid to include native 1080/30P in the bluray spec. At least Toshiba got that part right with HD-DVD. That means that you can't render BD natively to 30P, it has to be either 24P or 60i (@ 1080 rez). This is a severe oversight from Sony, especially considering all of the company's newer HDV and XDCAM cams shoot 30P...talk about being technologically myopic.

So when playing back 30P in 60I BD video, your player will have to be smart enough to detect lack of movement in the two fields and revert to a weave deinterlacing method (which is also the most basic method BTW, but one that would result in a trainwreck with footage that was originally shot using interlaced fields as opposed to progressive frames).

Check out the various Secrets BD player reviews where they actually test players' capabilities to correctly deinterlace 30P video. So far, only a select few have been able to handle this format correctly (various Sammies that use the HQV Silicon Optix, and the new LG dual format appears promising too). The players that correctly deinterlace the 60i fields, recombine (weave) them perfectly to form the original 30P frame, and then employ frame doubling to hit that 60Hz refresh rate for your progressive displays.

Despite all of this, I for one am a firm believer in shooting progressively. Interlaced video is a mess and it has no place in the 21st century. It needs to die already. I will not buy a Sony consumer cam because they can't shoot progressively. In 2008, that is pathetic. So, if you have the Canon HF10/100, use 30P and pick the right BD player and you'll be all set. If you have to distribute, then you could still use 30P (becoming more mainstream) and take your chances or learn how to shoot 24P for ultimate compatibility.
post #7 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

When an HDTV says it supports 1080i, it means it can deinterlace the two adjacent 1080i fields properly. Sure you can find HDTVs that only do BOB, but they are becoming a minority. Assuming you have a 1080i TV then it should weave the two fields together without issues, whether there is a difference between the two fields is irrelevant.
There is nothing wrong with shooting in 1080i60, for most applications its probably the best mode. Even a Planet Earth series was shot with a Sony HD cam in 1080i.
post #8 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM

From what I understand, the HF10/100 camcorders, like most consumer camcorders will record at the designated frame rate (i.e., 24p, 30p, etc.) but the actual video is stored at 60i. So even if you record at 24p or 30p, it is played back at 60i. You would need to transcode the video from 60i to 24p or 30p FPS in order to "restore" the frame rate that it was recorded at.
post #9 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM

^^^yes that is correct and with 24P if you're simply feeding a display the 1080i output from the cam over HDMI, then there will be interpolated 3:2 pulldown frames being generated. The problem comes with editing the footage. In order to get your original 24P frames on the timeline in your NLE, you have to remove those pulldown frames. Then you can properly edit your 24P footage and render out to BD @ 1080/24P with no playback issues.

The problem with 30P is not in the editing of the footage - simply import into your NLE as 29.97P video - but the de-interlacing of the video. In order to grasp this issue, you have to evaluate all of the various deinterlacing methods used today. HQV's website actually has a pretty good writeup on the whole issue. The vast majority of displays and players attempt to incorporate some form of motion-adaptive deinterlacing algorithm in order to account for the fact that the two fields captured in interlaced video represent two different points in time and this causes motion issues when dealing with any degree of movement that has occurred between the two fields. That is why simply weaving the two fields together would yield unacceptable results.

The irony here is that is all that would be required to correctly deinterlace 30P video; but, as I said earlier, the vast majority of video processors ignore the absence of motion between the two fields and instead employ some sort of "technologically advanced" deinterlacing algorithm that is quite necessary for interlaced acquired video but not at all desired with progressively shot video (because the entire frame was captured at the same moment in time so there could never be any motion between the two fields).

If this wasn't such a big problem, then Kris Deering and company over at Secrets would not test for proper deinterlacing of 30P video. But they do and so far very, very few BD players pass the test. If the players can't get it right, then I guarantee even fewer displays can do it right.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsaustin View Post

I really like the fact the HF10/100 can do the 1080p at 30fps, unique to Canon, but that may be a problem. Before I purchase this camcorder and record a bunch of video at 1080p30, I am trying to understand how I would play all this video back. I currently own a 720p projector and would eventually update to 1080p projector. However, none of the projectors I see support 1080p30 (1080p24 and 1080p60 are the common formats).

Has Canon thought about this?
Is 1080p30 really viable for playback?
Can 1080p30 be played back on a 1080p60 projector/TV?
What are other potential HF10/HF100 owners considering for playback?

To have 1080p30 recording option only for the sake of making it easy to cutdown to 15fps for the web seems like a waste.

Why not try to playback a 30p clip on your projector. Here's one in 30p:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do.../ezsample.m2ts

Most projectors take almost anything and as mentioned it's stored as 60i.
post #11 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear;13408991Despite all of this, I for one am a firm believer in shooting progressively. Interlaced video is a mess and it has no place in the 21st century. It needs to die already. I will not buy a Sony consumer cam because they can't shoot progressively. In 2008, that is pathetic. So, if you have the Canon HF10/100, use 30P and pick the right BD player and you'll be all set. If you have to distribute, then you could still use 30P (becoming more mainstream) and take your chances or [i View Post

learn[/i] how to shoot 24P for ultimate compatibility.

Although I disagree with some of what you said, shooting in 24p or 30p vs 1080i is a preference and not something that one 'should' or 'should not' do. I for one prefer the 'live' look of 1080i video. I absolutely love the 'you are there' feel of 1080i. You do not get that with either 24p or 30p, it's simply a different look that you may or may not prefer. I for one dislike the stuttering look of 24p and don't like the idea that I 'must' edit it to get any degree of motion smoothness.

Is it 'pathetic' that a manufacturer chose not to include it? I suppose if that's what you wanted yes, for me the answer is no. I doubt I'd use it if it were there anyway. I sure never use 24p on my HV20.

Each to his own, but I for one would not tell people that you should shoot in one or the other mode. People should experiment and see which they prefer. Some people may find there's a place for both.
post #12 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc48 View Post

Why not try to playback a 30p clip on your projector. Here's one in 30p:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do.../ezsample.m2ts

For those interested in this same scene shot with the SR12 @60i, the following is a link to that video. It's a very interesting comparison when you donwload both clips. This will tell you which mode of shooting you might prefer:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...2/ezsample.m2t

I actually burned both clips to a DVD so I could watch it on my plasma where differences (including artifacts) were much easier to detect. By the way, the SR12 was shot at a lower resolution (1440 for whatever reason) than the HF10 which was set to 1920X1080.
post #13 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:

For those interested in this same scene shot with the SR12 @60i, the following is a link to that video. It's a very interesting comparison when you donwload both clips. This will tell you which mode of shooting you might prefer:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...2/ezsample.m2t

I personally also hate 24p. Too jerky for my taste. 30p and 60i though should be similar. When you watch on a LCD/Plasma television it's rendered progressively anyway as 30p. I also think interlacing will disappear eventually with the benefit of avoiding any interlace issues.

You cannot tell from watchimpress video's how 30p performs since they were shot at different times with different camcorders in different conditions.
According to camcorderinfo the 30p had more resolution and remarkable better low-light performance than 60i looking at the framegrabs. But I wouldn't think there's that much noticeable difference otherwise.

Austin did a direct comparison between 24p, 30p and 60i here:

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hf10/comp-20k.mov

However not the best example to test deinterlacing in my opinion. But I don't see much difference between 30p and 60i in this video.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM

If that's the rotating fan with hat video, I wouldn't even bother posting it. No way to judge camcorders or shooting modes IMO.

But I'll say this about the two clips you and I posted, if you put it on a DVD and watch it on a nice sized HD plasma, there is quite a bit you can see about the differences. THAT is a worthy comparison IMO. And again, keep in mind the HF10 was shot at a full 1920 whereas the SR12 was only shot at 1440.
post #15 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

So I agree that 24p is not what I am looking for and I was hoping that 30p would be a much better option. I want progressive scan for primarily for better picture quality and I think it will provide for easier editing. Now 1080p60 would be ideal, but probably not affordable.

So my setup is a PS3 that I use to serve my all videos. Now I realize it does not output 1080p30, but I thought if the 30p standard would catch on then it might be something that could be addressed in a FW update. However, if this 30p format is going to be a Canon only thing or a passing fad then it won't rank as a must have feature for my new camcorder.

Someone suggested playing a 1080p30 clip. The problem with that is that my current projector is 720p. I plan to upgrade my projector to 1080p after the camcorder so these are kind of linked as I want them to work together. That's what got me started on this whole thing.

So my goal is to have a 1080p video from a camcorder, that I might be able to eventually serve from my PS3 and display on a new 1080p projector, I heard 24p was too slow and I'm not into that fuzzy film look.

Is what I am trying to do possible? If so, I will stick with the Canon, otherwise I may aslo consider the Sony.

Thanks for all the intelligent discussions.
post #16 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:

...but I thought if the 30p standard would catch on then it might be something that could be addressed in a FW update. However, if this 30p format is going to be a Canon only thing or a passing fad then it won't rank as a must have feature for my new camcorder.

I wouldn't worry about it being a passing fad - maybe in the consumer space, but certainly not the pro/prosumer space. All of the manufacturers are moving to variable progressive frame rates in addtion to 60i.
post #17 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:

So I agree that 24p is not what I am looking for and I was hoping that 30p would be a much better option. I want progressive scan for primarily for better picture quality and I think it will provide for easier editing. Now 1080p60 would be ideal, but probably not affordable.

So my setup is a PS3 that I use to serve my all videos. Now I realize it does not output 1080p30, but I thought if the 30p standard would catch on then it might be something that could be addressed in a FW update. However, if this 30p format is going to be a Canon only thing or a passing fad then it won't rank as a must have feature for my new camcorder.

Someone suggested playing a 1080p30 clip. The problem with that is that my current projector is 720p. I plan to upgrade my projector to 1080p after the camcorder so these are kind of linked as I want them to work together. That's what got me started on this whole thing.

So my goal is to have a 1080p video from a camcorder, that I might be able to eventually serve from my PS3 and display on a new 1080p projector, I heard 24p was too slow and I'm not into that fuzzy film look.

Is what I am trying to do possible? If so, I will stick with the Canon, otherwise I may aslo consider the Sony.

Thanks for all the intelligent discussions.

That's no problem. I don't know which projector you have but pretty much all 720p projectors take 1080i input and will render it (and probably 1080p as well but check the manual).

Also I would think that the PS3 can playback any of these formats at various framerates and render it to 1080i or 720p (at least the xbox360 can choose either 720p or 1080i and can handle all these video formats so should be similar).

However not sure if the PS3 can render 1080 smoothly (my xbox 360 cannot and most PC's don't have the power either). I usually downconvert to 720p. From my experience it looks pretty much the same. Have you checked the difference between 1080p and 720p resolution? It's actually not that dramatic difference. Even commercial movies look absolutely great in 720p. So I wouldn't get distracted by the resolution numbers.

If you search on the internet you'll find a lot of info on PS3 playback capabilities and conversion guides. So I would check that out.
post #18 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:

I for one prefer the 'live' look of 1080i video. I absolutely love the 'you are there' feel of 1080i. You do not get that with either 24p or 30p, it's simply a different look that you may or may not prefer.

Well you're still getting 30 frames/sec, the only difference is that the two fields comprising the original progressive frame are sampled from the exact same instance in time as opposed to being separated by 1/60 sec. (1/50 sec. for PAL)
post #19 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

30p and 60i though should be similar. When you watch on a LCD/Plasma television it's rendered progressively anyway as 30p.

Are you sure? I was under the impression (i.e. I could be wrong) that most modern displays would take a 60i signal and deinterlace/interpolate it to display as 60p (or even 120p on the latest 120Hz displays).
post #20 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

However not sure if the PS3 can render 1080 smoothly (my xbox 360 cannot and most PC's don't have the power either). I usually downconvert to 720p. From my experience it looks pretty much the same. Have you checked the difference between 1080p and 720p resolution? It's actually not that dramatic difference. Even commercial movies look absolutely great in 720p. So I wouldn't get distracted by the resolution numbers.

If you search on the internet you'll find a lot of info on PS3 playback capabilities and conversion guides. So I would check that out.

The PS3 can support 1080p24 and I think 1080p60 as well. I have had my current camcorder a long time and I want my next one to last a while as well. So I'm trying to avoid any transcoding, conversions, or scaling and stick with 1080p all the way.
post #21 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post

Are you sure? I was under the impression (i.e. I could be wrong) that most modern displays would take a 60i signal and deinterlace/interpolate it to display as 60p (or even 120p on the latest 120Hz displays).

Yes correct. That's what I meant that's it deinterlaced internally and displayed anyway as 30p. There's a website (cine4home) that tests the deinterlacing therefore always with projectors (and sometimes recommends deinterlacing before inputting it if needed).

Alternatively a PS3 or XBOX360 can also take care of that and convert the signal (the xbox360 was rated highly for deinterlacing and the PS3 should be no different). I think that's the safer route. I use a VGA connection with my XBOX360 so I have a huge flexibility in frame rates (and it supports up to 1080p). I figure the PS3 must be able to do that as well.
But I doubt the PS3 can render 1080i, let alone 1080p. I've downconverted tons of 1080i video material to 720p and I really don't see that much of a difference if at all.

I know there has been huge discussions on 1080i versus 720p (some claim latter is better for movies) but I never been that picky about it (because I don't see that much of a difference personally).
post #22 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear View Post

Well you're still getting 30 frames/sec, the only difference is that the two fields comprising the original progressive frame are sampled from the exact same instance in time as opposed to being separated by 1/60 sec. (1/50 sec. for PAL)

It still has a different look and the 30p clips I downloaded and put on my plasma prove it. It does not have the 'presence' of 60i. For me it doesn't have the look I want. Others may feel differently.
post #23 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:

However not sure if the PS3 can render 1080 smoothly (my xbox 360 cannot and most PC's don't have the power either).

The PS3 has no problem at all playing the SR12 clips smoothly. I put a memory stick in my son's PS3 and it played them beautifully.
post #24 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Ken, you make me laugh. You have this totally awesome Pioneer Kuro and you prefer to feed it an interlaced signal, LOL! I think you should just get rid of it (I'll take it) and pick up an interlaced HD display. Then you won't have to deal with any deinterlacing issues.
post #25 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The PS3 has no problem at all playing the SR12 clips smoothly. I put a memory stick in my son's PS3 and it played them beautifully.

That is my goal. Watch camcorder movies using my PS3 outputting to a projector, while trying to minimize transcoding, conversion, and ideally keeping a progressive video stream. I want to avoid the 1080p24 fuzzy film look. I was hoping the canon hf10 1080p30 would be better. Then I starting to think what projectors would support this frame rate and started this thread.

So i guess my questions are:
1) Is the 1080p30 from the canon is really stored at 1080i60 (I thought I read this)? If so, then I am not worried about a projector handling it as most 1080p projectors handle 1080i60 signals

2) If the canon hf10 1080p30 is really stored at 1080i60, will I really be getting the same quality signal as a native 1080p30 signal or is there some mucking going on during the recording or de-interlacing steps? Is this more marketing hype?

3) Is there any benefit to actually transcoding the 1080i60 signal to the original 1080p30 video format that the HF10 supposedly records at?
post #26 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Ken, you make me laugh. You have this totally awesome Pioneer Kuro and you prefer to feed it an interlaced signal, LOL! I think you should just get rid of it (I'll take it) and pick up an interlaced HD display. Then you won't have to deal with any deinterlacing issues.

The Kuro is what makes me choke when I look at video on computer monitors...it aint pretty. It's just very hard to watch SR12 video on my computer when the Kuro is there. But what you don't realize is that there is no (as in zero) difference between feeding a Kuro a 1080i or 1080p signal. This is true of any display that deinterlaces perfectly...zero difference. So who cares if I feed it 1080i or 1080p?
post #27 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Ken, you're right, I didn't know that. Which video processing chipset did Pioneer use in these displays? Can you point me to a professional review that documents the Kuros correctly de-interlace and frame double 30P video? I know these displays natively process 24P with 3:3 pulldown, but did not know they also handled 30P correctly. If that is the case, then it is a grandslam for Pioneer and effectively means the quality of the video processor in your BD player is completely irrelevant - you'd be best off leaving the player in 1080i60 output and let the display de-intlerlace, IVTC, and frame triple 24P material and de-interlace and frame double 30P video.

The issue of de-interlacing perfectly...Well Yves Faroudja essentially said it wasn't worth the hassle after selling his company to Genesis. Also, HQV documents right on their website that unless the video was originally shot progressively and the de-interlacer uses the weave method, then it is impossible to de-interlace perfectly (i.e., zero loss of resolution, no artifacts, etc.). Now, whether or not any of this would be visible in real world testing, I don't know because I don't know whether proper blind testing has been done. But I'll take your word that the Kuro's processing is very good nonetheless. I'd still like to see 30P documentation. The one thing that comes to mind after reading the HQV site is, "Why are we still dealing with this crap in 2008?!"

jjsaustin, according to preliminary reports of the HF10/100, yes, the cam is shooting a progressive image and then dividing that whole frame into two fields that should be able to be de-interlaced perfectly (weave) to reconstitute the original frame. The problem comes with the de-interlacing with progressive video equipment. I would assume my Sony XBR970 interlaced HDTV would have no problems recreating the original frame when fed a 1080i60 stream via a BD player.

The problem is with the progressive displays. Per my understanding (and the NIN 30P video thread is a resource here), the video is encoded as 1080P30 but flagged as 1080i60. So your BD player's (or display's if being fed 1080i60 from BD player) video processor must be smart enough to (1) ignore the interlace flag and (2) determine that there is no movement between fields comprising the original frame, thereby avoiding its complicated de-interlacing processing mode(s) (e.g., motion adaptive), and instead simply weaving the two fields back together, and (3) double the resultant frame rate to 60.

Read any of the more recent Secrets BD player reviews and you'll see they test specifically for this feature because 30P video is becoming more common. If Sony would have simply included 1080P30 in the BD spec, then the flags on the disc would tell the player what to do, the processor would not have to be smart enough to analyze the video for itself - just follow the rules, and there wouldn't be this hit-and-miss handling of 30P.
post #28 of 39 Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Yes correct. That's what I meant that's it deinterlaced internally and displayed anyway as 30p.

I still disagree on the 30p part. With a 1080i/60 stream that came from an interlaced video source, each field is unique because it was captured at a different point in time. Modern displays will deinterlace to crate a full frame corresponding to each field, resulting in a 60p display with 60 unique frames per sec. If the display produced 30p, it would be throwing away half of the temopral resolution of the original source. Am I wrong?

Quote:

But what you don't realize is that there is no (as in zero) difference between feeding a Kuro a 1080i or 1080p signal. This is true of any display that deinterlaces perfectly...zero difference.

I don't mean to be agrumentative guys, but again I disagree. Perfect deinterlacing is only possible if the interlaced stream was created from a progressive source. If the source was interlaced, as is the case with a camcorder recording in 1080i, then the deinterlacing can not be perfect because the fields are offset in time.

Back to the OPs questions, I have also read that the Canons store 30p in a 1080i/60 stream. I would guess the reason that did this is for maximum compatibility with editing programs and playback devices. So you shouldn't have any compatibility problems with your projector. And in this mode, it should also be easy to perform perfect deinterlacing to reconstruct the original 30p source.

Edit: Whoops, goldenear already said some of the same things more eloquently in his post above. At least I'm not disagreeing with everybody.
post #29 of 39 Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Ken, you're right, I didn't know that. Which video processing chipset did Pioneer use in these displays? Can you point me to a professional review that documents the Kuros correctly de-interlace and frame double 30P video? I know these displays natively process 24P with 3:3 pulldown, but did not know they also handled 30P correctly. If that is the case, then it is a grandslam for Pioneer and effectively means the quality of the video processor in your BD player is completely irrelevant - you'd be best off leaving the player in 1080i60 output and let the display de-intlerlace, IVTC, and frame triple 24P material and de-interlace and frame double 30P video.

Goldenear, perfect deinterlacing is actually not hard to find in many of the new HDTVs. It used to be a rarity, but today it's almost common to find modern fixed pixel displays that do indeed deinterlace perfectly. Much has been written about how many people get needlessly anal about whether their source is 'i' or 'p', when for most sources (given a perfect deinterlacer) it is totally irrelevant since both pictures will appear identical. The real art continues to be scaling and processing. That's what separates the men from the boys. BTW, I'm not sure what chipset Pioneer uses for deinterlacing.

I can't put my finger on it now, but having been a frequent visitor in the plasma threads and having read his articles in the A/V magazines, you can find articles by the "HD Guru" aka Gary Merson, who did a thorough test of deinterlacing, resolution on static and moving images etc. etc. His report is considered the 'benchmark' on this subject.

Gary is a neighbor of mine, has ISF'd one of my HDTVs and is a very thorough guy. So I'm sure you could do a search and come up with his articles on this.

Addressing your issue on 30p, I can't tell you for sure how the Pioneer handles 30p since I've never fed it a 30p source. At this point that's still conjecture. Since 30p has not been a source that anyone has really gotten a hold of, I've never seen anything written about how the better displays would handle that. I downloaded the 30p clips from the HV10, but once you've put that on a DVD and thrown it in your BR player, it's no longer a true 30p source as far as the TV is concerned.
post #30 of 39 Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post

So you shouldn't have any compatibility problems with your projector. And in this mode, it should also be easy to perform perfect deinterlacing to reconstruct the original 30p source.

As long as the video processor performs ONLY a weave. If it does anything besides this, then it's not going to work.

Ken, not to be a dick, but I will take the word over the video processor chipset manufacturers over anyone else's on this subject. HQV clearly states that there is no such thing as perfect de-interlacing of interlaced footage captured in an interlaced manner. Period. Regarding 30P material from the HF10, simply encode the disc as 30P with 60i flags (as required per BD spec), change your BD player to output 1080i to your Kuro and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page