Looking for a new camcorder. Had HDC-SD9 before. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-14-2008, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy another camcorder. I have been using Panasonica HDC-SD9 and liked it because it is small and light-weighted. But the movie quality is not really satisfactory. Last year I was using Mini-DVD Sony camcorder and liked this Sony better although the format is not HD. Low-light performance seems better than my recent HDC-SD9 although resolution is low.

Now....
I am considering HF100, HV30, HG20 all canon camcorders.

I need a good low-light performance...Are all three similar? Or should I go to Sony? There are many opinions out there and it is hard to decide.

HF100 is having better low-light performance than HDC-SD9? If so, is the difference noticeable? I didn't like HDC-SD9 movies under low-light partly due to small 1/6' CCDs. The amount of noise from HDC-SD9 movie was not much different than from my old small Canon 800IS camera movie which cannot change focus during the record.
HV30. I want to avoid this one. I don't have firewire or IEEE 1394 port on my computer. Therefore copying into my computer is impossible? But 25Mbit/s bitrate is very attractive. If there is a way to copy clips into my computer......
HG20. I don't like HDD concept. It will break down especially when you drop the camcorder. Maybe I am wrong.

help me to choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-14-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'd say you can't go wrong with one of the Canon camcorders you mentioned or Sony SR11/SR12...

Whatever you get; don't expect amazing low light performance from a consumer camcorder.

You should make your decision based on other things, like features and video performance, and then buy a portable light to give your videos more light.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-14-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Few things to consider:

-A good mini-DV camcorder will have much better low-light performance than a consumer HD camcorder. My old Sony TRV-900 produces a much better picture in low light than my Canon HV20.

-If you drop a camcorder chances are you will have a problem, regardless of the format.

-The SD9 is a pretty decent HD camcorder. Don't expect miracles unless your budget is over US$ 3500.00

-HD needs a much better lighting. One of the reason why many networks took a long time to broadcast shows in HD is because they had to rebuild studios to provide a stronger lighting.

I was so happy without HDR...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

I like the portable light idea.!! Thanks.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Few things to consider:

-A good mini-DV camcorder will have much better low-light performance than a consumer HD camcorder. My old Sony TRV-900 produces a much better picture in low light than my Canon HV20.

-If you drop a camcorder chances are you will have a problem, regardless of the format.

-The SD9 is a pretty decent HD camcorder. Don't expect miracles unless your budget is over US$ 3500.00

-HD needs a much better lighting. One of the reason why many networks took a long time to broadcast shows in HD is because they had to rebuild studios to provide a stronger lighting.

Can you tell me some model numbers for mini-DV camcorder? Maybe I was expecting too much from HD camcorders and AVCHD format. Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by getgo View Post

Can you tell me some model numbers for mini-DV camcorder? Maybe I was expecting too much from HD camcorders and AVCHD format. Thanks.

Brand new prosumer mini-DV cameras are expensive, over 2K. I recommend you buy a used Sony TRV900 or the VX-2000 but only if you really need low light performance.You can get them from Ebay for less than 1000 bucks.

The picture quality difference between SD and HD , as you know, is dramatic in normal light conditions. The new HD consumer cameras are fantastic and cheap and it's hard to justify the investment in an old technology but, as I said, if you really need to shoot in low light...

I was so happy without HDR...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page